Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old German sporter Mauser that is in 9x57 mm. I am thinking about rechambering it in a more usable caliber. Looking for suggestions.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Is that a 9.3x57? What bolt face do you have to work with? Perhaps most importantly, what do you consider "usable", in a rifle cartridge? Do you want a small-bore competition gun or something to go to Africa with?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
to be quite honest that 9 x 57 is a dandy of a cartridge. performance is in the range of the 358 win & 35 whelen which put it in some pretty good company... it may not be the flatest shooter but deer at 300yds or so should be no problem.
not a lot of those rifles around so i'd think long and hard before i altered it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,745 Posts
Do you handload, or just want something with fairly cheap factory ammo?

It's hard to beat a .308 Win for all-around hunting, and cheap ammo.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
to be quite honest that 9 x 57 is a dandy of a cartridge. performance is in the range of the 358 win & 35 whelen which put it in some pretty good company... it may not be the flatest shooter but deer at 300yds or so should be no problem.
not a lot of those rifles around so i'd think long and hard before i altered it.

Plus one!:D

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Guess I'll +2 on keeping it a 9x57 if you reload.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
9.3mm X 62 is a popular European cartridge. NORMA has a couple factory loads that are reputed to be very accurate and sturdy.

TR

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't reload and am having a problem finding 9x57. I know that it was a popular round in Europe and that it is a good round. I was thinking of maybe changing to an available round.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Is that a 9.3x57? What bolt face do you have to work with? Perhaps most importantly, what do you consider "usable", in a rifle cartridge? Do you want a small-bore competition gun or something to go to Africa with?
According to Cartridges of the World, there are both 9x57 and 9.3x57 cartridges :) I didn't realize that... I just looked it up a few minutes ago.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Upon further inspection, the 9x57 Mauser is simply the 8x57 necked up to hold larger bullets. It is all-but obsolete, so it's no wonder you're having a hard time finding ammo for it. Fortunately, the bolt face is designed for cases with a .470" diameter, so you should be able to have a different barrel installed for any long-action round based on the 30-'06. If your action is in good shape it shouldn't be too difficult for a competent gunsmith to give you a 270 Winchester, 30-'06 or 35 Whelen, all of which offer factory ammo.

You could also just revert back to the parent cartridge, 8x57 or a little smaller/faster, with the 7x57, as they use an identical head size. In fact, I think if it was my gun, I'd rechamber it for the "little 7" in keeping with its German roots. When it comes to being a "usable" cartridge, there are very few that can top the classic 7x57.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I have an old German sporter Mauser that is in 9x57 mm. I am thinking about rechambering it in a more usable caliber. Looking for suggestions.
Is it a Mauser 98 or an older rifle? That makes a difference in the caliber that you can safely use.

If it's a 93 or 95, you'd be better of trading it or selling it unless you want to take up handloading. HEre's a link to store bought ammo and is spendy. Have heard Quality Cartridge also sells 9x57.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4667.html

If' it's a 98, you're wide open for choices. I'd +1 on the 7x57 if you want to stay authentic Mauser.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Leverite,

Thank you for pointing that out...I meant to mention it, but completely spaced it! I'm figuring it's a 98 since the 9x57 wasn't used until after WWI, for sporting purposes, however it could easily be a 93 or 95 that was rebarreled. Better make sure it's a 98 before doing anything else with it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,745 Posts
I don't know where else you might get it, but The Old Western Scrounger has several flavors of 9-something by 57mm ammo. 9x57, 9.3x57, 9.5x57, 9x57 rimmed, et al. Not super cheap at about $2 / shot but you could put a lot of rounds downrange for the cost of a new barrel. I doubt if you'll get a new barrel on the gun for less than $200 and it might be quite a bit more. A hundred rounds with a hunting rifle could last for decades, just depends how much you shoot.

Didn't check with any other sources, you might find better deals in case lots. That is, assuming you want to hunt something that a 9x57mm is suitable for, and assuming that the bore is in decent shape.

If you want to target shoot, the other end of the spectrum is probably your best bet and it would surely be easier to trade for a new(er) .223 or the like.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Leverite,

Thank you for pointing that out...I meant to mention it, but completely spaced it! I'm figuring it's a 98 since the 9x57 wasn't used until after WWI, for sporting purposes, however it could easily be a 93 or 95 that was rebarreled. Better make sure it's a 98 before doing anything else with it.
Like all things learned well, this I learned from experience. My dad brought an Otto Bock, Mauser 93 in 9x57 back from WW2. Had to cast the chamber to find out what it really was, because it's a bit of an oddball cartridge...then slugged the barrel. Ended up handloading some 0.356" Hawk jacketed bullets and some 0.357" Beartooth lead bullets keeping pressures low, but have never hunted with it.

Neat old gun, but it's a safe queen now.

It did get me started on my 358 caliber quest though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IT's an early commercial 98 that has double set triggers and some engraving. It has a ribbed barrel that is half octagon. I think it is to nice to replace the barrel. I was thinking of rechambering the existing barrel to a caliber that the ammo is available. since the 9x57 uses the 8x57 case opened up for the larger bullet I might try to find some dies and try to reload.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Rich,

I can't think of a better reason for learning to reload than to keep a fine old gun in use. Depending on how you load it, by SAAMI or CIP standards (35,000psi vs. 55,000psi) you can get the performance of a 35 Remington or a mild 35 Whelen. Either way, you've got a pretty potent cartridge, plus you get the pleasure and satisfaction of loading your own ammunition, which is enjoyable all by itself. :)

If I were in your shoes I would first slug the bore to know exactly what size bullet to use. If your bore is .357" or .358", the Hornady 180gr SSP or the Remington 200gr Core-lokt PSP are excellent performers at the lower velocity range of a 35 Remington. If you choose to load it a bit hotter, to the CIP specs, you have a whole range of big-game bullets that will get the job done. If your bore is tighter, say .355" or .356", you could swage them down or get some of Marshall's excellent cast bullets and either gas-check them or keep the velocity fairly low. Lots of good options on how to keep your gun performing well and it would be a fun process of learning just what it likes best. Makes me want to go out and see if I can find one at a decent price.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Your rifle sounds like a 8mm-06 that I used to have. Pre WWII commerical 98 Ob.Mauser reciever, double set triggers, half round/half oct ribbed barrel Krupp Essen , express sights, folding tang sight, claw mounts, and a very small stock. Very nice mountain gun that was orginally in 8x57 and then rechambered. Sounds like a great oppurtunity to reload.

CD

1 - 20 of 27 Posts