Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is kind of a bizarre question for those of you with more wisdom than myself. Could a set of dies be "re profiled" with a reamer, just as a chamber is? Example, converting standard 30-30 dies to Ackley improved, by recutting them with a chamber reamer? I don't know if this is even possible, but I thought I would see.

Thanks Much
Juan

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Yes ideed!  You certainly can convert an existing set of dies, especially when doing an Ackley Improved.   This works well and saves big bucks on custom dies!  If using existing dies, you need to anneal them before machining.

We live up here where we use wood heat, and to anneal a set of dies before making an AI conversion, I just get the fire extra hot, with a good red-hot bed of coals, throw the disassembled die body into the woodstove, then let the fire go out of its own accord, the dies cool very slowly and it draws the temper out of them.   Then it is a simple matter to clean the carbon off of them and machine to the new AI profile.  Re-temper and you've got a &#3665 set of dies!

Let us know how your project goes!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Marshall covered the reworking and rechambering of existing dies...here's another way we used to do. Buy a length 7/8x14 threaded rod(with a nut to fit)...have a machinest set it up in his lathe and drill a hole through it to match the OD off thr reamer's pilot. Smooth up the hole with #600 wet/dry in a split brass rod with your drill. Chamber the rod with your reamers and spin with # 600 wet/dry. Heat the die up to just under red, holding it with tongs, sprinke it outside and inside with "Kasenit" Let it air cool. This gives it a hard surface and we have used this dies for years. "Kasenit" can be bought from Brownell's. It's also great for hardening various working surfaces. To do that we hold the part in visegrips, appy heat with a propane torch, and push the heated part down into the can of "Kasenit". Let air dry and clean. You will not be able to file it unless you redraw it. This works great on some of the cheaper guns that have soft metal parts. It leaves a mottled grey finish.
Best Regards from the hammock....James  

1 - 3 of 3 Posts