Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a recipe for handloading the 300gr .41 Rem Mag. but in the move I lost most of my load data. Haven't loaded it in sometime does anyone have any suggestion for it? I've been looking at about 18.7grains of 296 with a mag primer. Any help? Thanks
Alaska .41 Nut

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
41 Nut,
I have some data that I used with the SSK bullet. I'm going to be gone for a long weekend and I'll look for it when I get home on Monday. I remember that I was getting 1313fps out of my Bisley (7.5" barrel) with the SSK bullet, which is very near to 300grs depending on alloy. Is this the bullet that you are using?

I'll be adding to my .41 shootin' stable with a Blackhawk Hunter next week when it comes in from the distributor to my dealer. I'm looking forward to seeing what that will do. I've got quite a few .41's too, so I guess I'm a .41 nut as well. The .41 is my threshold for a high power round that I can burn 2-300 of in a pleasant shooting session with full power loads. I also like the way it loads down with AA#7 and a 220 Keith. I'll be swaging .41 jacketed bullets in the next three months or so. They will be heavy and of the bonded core variety. I'm looking forward to it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kciH
Yes, it is the SSK bullet from Beartooth. So it will be a big help if you can find it. I finally got them in just in time for spring black bear up here. Too bad my marlin 1894FG isn't in yet, its my companion for my redhawk 7.5". I tend to go plinking with it as well, with a couple hundred rounds of 215gr SWC for less pain until I start using my little 20oz Taurus Titanium model. I've used the 265 gr WLN for hunting and it gets the job done, just looking forward to trying this one, thanks

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,298 Posts
Hodgdon #26 lists the following data for the 41 Mag:

Barrel length: Ruger 6"
Primer Size: Large Pistol Magnum
No brand of case specified

295-300gr. (Lead) [note: no brand or style given, nor reference to gas-checks]

Start H4227 17.5gr. 1134fps
Max H4227 18.5gr. 1201fps

Start H110 17.5gr. 1165fps
Max H110 19.0gr. 1267fps

Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
The new toy.

Here's the new .41. The trigger needs a little work, common for a Ruger, but I'm looking forward to shooting it soon.

Alaska,
let me know how those loads work out if you use the WW296.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kciH
I didn't get a load from ya yet, but I did try the load from MikeG with the H110 with 18.2 gr. It wasn't too bad out of my Redhawk, but it was worse than a 454 out of my Taurus, still but accurate. Out of the 20oz Taurus 4" barrel at 20yds I was in a 5 in circle all I need for a carry gun while hunting. My Redhawk brought that down to about 2.5 for hunting I happy. I still don't think I'll use this load for mt Taurus I have a good 250gr bullet and load for that one. Thanks

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Alaska,
Click on your "user cp" button at the top your screen and check your private messages. I sent you the data a couple days ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts