Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
None. But it will redirect it a bit and modify the feel of it. Typically, the barrel jump will be significantly reduced and the recoil impulse will be more of a straight-back affair, which is more comfortable and controllable to most people. Ads that claim 30% or 50% or whatever recoil reduction are trying to quantify an effect that is really pretty much subjective to the shooter.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It will reduce it significantly. I have an Encore with a 450 Marlin barrel, and a 375 JDJ barrel. They both have brakes, the 375 by SSK. Both are very accurate and not unmanageable to shoot. If you define recoil as the amount of force a handgun pushes to the rear at firing, a brake reduces that force by up to 50%, depending on the design.

Don

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Almost Some,Kinda,Maybe......Well ???

Some device at the end of the bbl ???

Muzzle brake ?? Expansion chamber ?? Whatever you call it or it is called by the manufacturer,some help(in certain ways),others do not. This.....IMO only.

They all redirect the expanding gasses that are behind the bullet,pushing it(accelerating it)down the bbl. In what direction,how much,and the amount, will vary depending on the brake.

The very best brake that I have ever seen is the JP Brake. It looks almost identical to the "brake" on a tank. I suppose for a good/great reason. IT WORKS !! I have one on my 24" AR and it shoots like a .204. I once hit a yote 3 times before he could hit the ground(@125yds). The brake on my Weatherby Accumark(.30-378)makes it feel like a .30-06 at the most. The brake("Expansion Chamber") on my Taurus 6" .454 Casull reduces the recoil and muzzle rise to the equivelent of my Super Blackhawk(44mag) shooting mid sized bullets.

Some muzzle brakes are simply a POS and do not do a thing for both felt recoil and muzzle rise. Manufacturers discovered that by simply drilling holes at the end of bbl's, sold a ton of guns. ALL muzzle barakes are LOUD !! I could list the ones that fit into the above category but it would surely start a tongue fight.

Soooooo.....to answer the rather simple question of the OP,I would say..........depends. Depends on the shooter. Remember also that some muzzle brakes also add length and weight to the bbl. They WILL change the bbl's harmonics also. Some for the better,some for the worst. Also the tightness of the screw on brake can actually constrict the bbl to a certain degree and change the shot grouping.

Thinking about a brake,either after market,or already installed on a weapon.......do your homework,talk to owners of the brake,shoot them if possible. There are goods and bads to every brake. My JP is just plane "fuglie",but she sure does a good job.-----pruhdlr

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Think a minute of what a brake can and cannnot do. It cannot defy the laws of physics. The total recoil force remains the same, regardless of the type of brake used. What it can do is redirect a portion of that force. In other words, it can modify felt recoil, but actual total force of recoil remains the same. How much of a difference that modification makes to an individual shooter is entirely subjective. Some folks find the effect very pleasing, but the greatly increased muzzle blast (as perceived) of many brakes is, by itself, enough to make some people hate them.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Uh,Scuze Me

I seemed to forget that the question was in re. to pistols and went off on a somewhat different direction.

At this time I only own one pistol other that the Taurus with a brake on it. It is a Magnum Research,Lone Eagle chambered in .243Win and I have not shot it yet. It came with the brake from the Magnum Research.

I have although, shot several single shot pistols with brakes on them and have owned single shot pistols for some 25 years now. My beefiest is still a T/C Contender with a .444Marlin bbl so chambered by the early SSK people. It does not have a brake and is(with my stiff loads)a hand full.

I have talked to allot of people that associate muzzle blast and overpressure with recoil. About a year ago I got the opportunity to shoot a 15" bbl'ed .416Rigby on a Encore frame. It had a JP Brake on it and utterly surprised me by in the lack of the recoil that I had anticipated. My Marlin seemed worse.

BUT......the blast was ferocious and the overpressure peeled off my baseball cap. Luckily the owner had insisted that I wear safety goggle with a head strap.

Pistols are even worse, in that the head,eyes,and ears are even closer to the blast. One of the loudest weapons that I have ever shot was a Encore pistol with a 14 or 15" bbl chambered in .22-250. It seems that all that powder burning trying to squeeze thru that small bore makes for a very high pitched crack. Recoil and overpressure was not a problem but the noise........

I'm sure that you will get tons of opinions on your question asked. Remember that recoil,blast,noise,overpressure,hot,cold,big,and small,are all a matter of individual opinion. None absolutely right,and none absolutely wrong.

Good Shootin' -----pruhdlr

·
Banned
674 Posts
How much will a muzzle brake reduce the recoil?
The question is not answerable in the form presented. What gun, what caliber, what bullet, what load, which brake?

Rifle, pistol, revolver, shotgun, standard velocities, magnum load, light bullet, heavy bullet. Some work well, some only work a little bit, some are good and some should have died on the drawing table. Sorry but if you are looking for recommendations it would help to know what you want it for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the gun i would be getting is a encore pistol. I am looking at getting a 300 win mag or 7 mm. I really dont know what brake to put on it so thats why am asking questions on here.

·
Banned
674 Posts
That makes it easy, you have two choices get it magnaported which the guys with the really big boomers do or get the screw on as an option from Thompson. Some people swear by them and claim a 50% decrease in felt recoil and others swear at them. Being 30 caliber helps, see your dealer and go over the options and what you want to pay for it. For the pistol it shouldn't be much more than $30.00 if you are buying new from Thompson.

Another option: Bellm machines the brake right into the barrel and I think you lose just a hair over an inch of barrel length. You won't miss it.

http://bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=151

·
Registered
943 Posts
the gun i would be getting is a encore pistol. I am looking at getting a 300 win mag or 7 mm. I really dont know what brake to put on it so thats why am asking questions on here.

You may want to rethink the 300 Win mag. I've shot 2 different pistols both with brakes in 30-06 and its so punishing that you have to force yourself to shoot again. Pain is extremely bad. I've shot 45/70 pistol for years and with near max loads, not nearly as bad as 30-06.

I wouldn't even dream of .300Win mag :eek:

safer and more comfortable round would be your 7mm08 mentioned or .243 Win. The .243 would be great. Recoil managable and actually a devasting round.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Not .300 but...

I do not have a .300 win mag barrel for my Encore pistol. I do have a .308 win. with no brake. It is pleasant to shoot with bullets in the 125 -130 grain range. As bullet weight goes up it becomes less and less pleasant.
I also own a barrel in .500 S&W. It has a brake. I use it to test loads. I also shoot very heavy bullets (600grains) loaded near max - even with the integral T/C brake, it hurts to shoot from shot one. I do use it. I am not recoil shy but it is never fun even with the brake. Based on that experience, I'd imagine that the .300 Win could be a challenge. That last is especially true since the .300 is a designed for a longer barrel and the propellants that work best are going to be inefficient in that 15" barrel - lotsa muzzle blast no matter what you do.
If you want a .300 "just because", then go to it. If you want it to hunt with, there are better choices.
Pete

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am looking to hunt with it.I am looking for something that will shoot flat out to 200 or 300 yards. i was also looking at a 7 mm. or what are some other good choices.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
choices?

For hunting out to 200-300 yards. I don't hunt at those distances but I'm guessing that the .308 Win would do well, perhaps a .243, maybe the 7mm -08.
And then there's the custom chamberings from SSK.
Pete

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Wonderful old ex-military cartridges like the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser and the 7x57 Mauser are just about ideal for deer-sized game to 300 yards. Accurate in good rifles, easy on the shoulder.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Grinder,

For what you're wanting to do, in factory Encore options, it would be hard to beat the 7mm-08. If you hand load your own ammo there are a wide array of cartridges that you might find more interesting, but they won't kill a deer any deader, at 200 - 300 yards, than the 7mm-08.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been shooting a Browning a bolt composite stalker with BOSS for about 7 years. The felt recoil is significantly less than my old Win model 70. If your a one shot hunter then a system simiiar to the Boss, will make hunting and practicing much more enjoyable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts