Shooters Forum banner

Recommend a worth while dry fire system

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  stevelyn 
#1 ·
Do the laser kits really help?

#2 ·
They help your bank account shrink for sure. I've never seen one or heard of anybody using one.
"Calling shots" is a very large part of shooting. When the firing pin falls, the sight picture you have at that moment says where the shot landed. Dry firing is muscle practice to get those shots close to the same place at the same time. A flashing light would be the LAST distraction you'd need or want when dry firing in my OPINION.

Reactions: Pudfark
#3 ·
I very much agree with Mr. JBelk. Lazer's, in any capacity or use, on a fire arm are a distraction and potentially a deadly one. Why? Because the human eye is drawn to the bright light, you then can't see some ones hands, or subtle movements and it exaggerates the natural movement of the firearm, make it very difficult to 'break' a shot.

Sorry, if I came on a little strong ^^^^. Gimmicks can get you hurt and distraction always will. imho

#4 ·
No, they really don't. You didn't say what your pistol is, and there are some considerations to think about depending upon what it is.
That said, I've always dry-shot every single firearm I've owned, a lot. Continue to do so with the things I own. Sit down, turn on a story or some music, and work the firearm.

Cheers

Reactions: Pudfark
#6 ·
No, they aren't necessary. Even on a Ruger 10/22 which is "necessary" I've dry-fired one so make times over a couple decades, I couldn't tell you how many times. I can tell you, I know how to inspect and disassemble every single one of my firearms. The "extra" wear being caused by dry firing, would take a scanning electron microscope to measure.

If it would make you feel safer in life to buy some snap caps, then do it. But it isn't going to save you anything.

Cheers

#7 ·
Both those pistols have inertia FPs so dry firing won't 'hurt' them but it's always best to catch moving parts as they're designed to be caught. That's what snap caps do. I don't bother unless its a gun that needs FP protection to prevent breakage.

#8 ·
A firing pin is designed to bash, not have it's peers catch it in a trust fall. 😉😆. The slide is already machined an designed to stop and catch the pin.

ChemClay, give me a few minutes to rip a Glock apart and take some pics; I'll be back shortly.

Cheers

#10 ·
There are certain guns that have to be dry-fired to disassemble; obviously those are designed for it. Older stuff can break firing pins and in the case of .22s, sometimes the firing pin can be long enough to cause chamber damage. Anyway your owner's manual should tell you if dry firing is OK.

It will simulate the firing pin hitting a primer if there is a snap cap. Just cushions the "stop" a little more. Whether that matters or not depends on the gun.

#11 ·
Striker fired pistols have a spring act directly against the firing pin, a hammer fired pistol has a spring act against a hammer, which hits a firing pin. Rupe Goldberg or not, it's arguing minutia for the pistols asked about.

My belt holds up my pants.... But my pants have loops to hold up my belt; so who is the real hero?

Chemclay, here is what you pull your pistols apart and look into.

Bolt face, shows the firing pin comes out into the middle of the chamber when unloaded. Meaning it isn't contacting anything outside the slide.
Here's one with the pin dropped:

Now let's look at the squared edge of the firing pin, and the corresponding internal part of the slide. These two surfaces are what make contact, when dry firing. The firing pin slams into the slide and stops the pin from exiting into the chamber.

For reference, this particular G17 has well over 10,000 rounds fired through it, and decades of dry firing while sitting in the house in the dead of winter; All parts are original.

Pull your pistols apart and inspect them. Doing so is simply part of regular, reasonable maintenance anyway. See what your baseline wear is.
Now assemble and dry fire for 10 minutes or so, then pull apart and reinspect. What you'll find is that there isn't a nickels worth of difference between before and after, again unless you have a scanning electron microscope.😉. If you are that crazy about it, I doubt you'd ever actually shoot those pistols anyway. 😁

Cheers

#12 ·
I think, by "laser kit", the OP is referring not to a laser sight but to the laser dryfire systems. Beam Hit, for example, has a laser that resembles a bore sighter that blinks when it detects the drop of the hammer by its sound, and that blink registers on a special target. I recently got one of these inertial BlueTooth devices (rather than a laser) to try out, but have not yet got around to wringing it out. It gives you a complete movement path during the shot, so it detects flinching or other muzzle disturbances. It can be used either for dryfire or during live fire, which is what got me to pull the trigger on buying it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.