Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a winchester 1886 that was re-built by a gunsmith named Dale Storey... it is a 45-90 and i understand it was originally used with a 300 gr bullet but i am wondering if anyone has used a heavier projectile in the 45-90. as i understand the rifling is a little faster in the new barrel than the original ... but i havent gone as far as figuring that part out yet... also black powder is real hard to get here but i came on a stash of AA5744 so i will be trying that out... thanks in advance for any comments...

regards

·
Registered
83 Posts
45-90

cartrides of the world or lymans black powdwe book has loads using pyrodex and smokelees powder. buffalo arms or ten x ammo sell it loaded with black poxder

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
A faster twist should be an asset in stabilizing heavier bullets, you'll just have to make sure you can keep the overall length of the loaded cartridge short enough to cycle through the action.

I load my single shot .45/90 with a 500gr Lee bullet and 86grs of FF, a card wad over the powder and no grease cookie. For smokeless loads with cast bullets I use .45/70 data.

If you're going to exceed .45/70 smokeless data in the .45/90 do so carefully, it is a slightly bigger case but as everything else is equal to the .45/70 I would imagine pressures would be quite close with the same load.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts