Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. First time here. I put a red dot on my Ruger 22/45 and all I have now is a red dot that has no reference on the screen. Front sight is not visible in the screen so I can't use that as a reference point. Any suggestions? I'm 66 and the iron sights are completely useless because I can't see the target AND the sights at the same time.

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
errrrrr??? don't quite understand you ...maybe me , I am a bit slow and 10yrs older :)

Your red dot will float about on the screen as you move your head. there is nothing on the screen to reference it to.
That is the joy of red dots as you can simply put the dot on where you want the bullet to go and job done. You don't have to centre the dot up like a normal scope.

Set your rifle up on a solid rest pointing down range at a target. Remove the bolt so you can see down the barrel. Now, making sure that all the 'circles' formed by the barrel are nice an even line the barrel up with a mark down range. I do this from my study window on the corner of my neighbours roof !! Then adjust the red dot to coincide with the mark you have lined up. Then if your on the range, fire a shot and check fall of shot and make final adjustments as required. You can the pick that rifle up and anywhere that red dot is, the bullet will hit. I have one on my 375JDJ barrel and also occasionally use one on my double rifle for driven game and for that a red dot is superb. I suggest you keep the intensity of the dot on the low side as I have found having it too bright makes it more difficult to place the dot accurately. Hope this helps. I use my red dots out to 120yrds no problem.

Welcome aboard the best shooting forum in the world.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
The red dot replaces the other sights, it doesn't "enhance" them. If you're having trouble getting on target with one, follow Sus's advice or simply put a large piece of cardboard in front of you at twenty-five yards and aim at the center of it (put a dot on it somewhere). Find out where you are and adjust the sight. Then move back farther and try it again. It's really pretty simple. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts