Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is that a "do-able" combination? Will they stand up to the recoil of a 45-70? Is there any sort of parallax effect on these type of sights? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
A good red dot sight will hold up fine, I find the dot is so large it kills any accuracy potential on a rifle.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
A good red dot sight will hold up fine, I find the dot is so large it kills any accuracy potential on a rifle.
I've not tried my Bushnell HOLOsight on the 45-70, but it's lasted 1,000's of rounds for full load .44 mag..
And I agree, many of the red dot "dots" are large, but the Bushnell HOLOsight I have has a 1 mil. dot, so only covers 1" at 100 yards.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've had mine for 4yrs and a couple hundred rounds. My maximum yardage is well within the very acceptable accuracy variances (can shoot under 2" @ 125yds):

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yes it is... a lot of people have done it. But I would recommend buying yourself a good quality sight. Don't buy anything under 200 bucks... it has to be parallax free for it to be worth while on an 1895. And the parallax free ones are usually 300 plus bucks.,.I just bought a tru glo red dot and i returned it. I plan on getting an aimpoint compc3 with the fine 2moa dot for work out to 200 yards.... I would recommend an aimpoint or a high quality reflex sight too like the trijicon RMR or burris fast fire, or Leupold delta point. Nice thing about aimpoints is that soldiers trust them with their lives... so a big game hunter or dangerous game hunter can trust their lives with them as well. They will last for 5 years with one battery and are not only waterproof but submersible

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most red dot scopes have a 3MOA dot. But you can get 1MOA dots. These are much better for accuracy. 3MOA is three inches at 100 yards, 1MOA is 1 inch at 100 yards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes it is... a lot of people have done it. But I would recommend buying yourself a good quality sight. Don't buy anything under 200 bucks... it has to be parallax free for it to be worth while on an 1895. And the parallax free ones are usually 300 plus bucks.,.I just bought a tru glo red dot and i returned it. I plan on getting an aimpoint compc3 with the fine 2moa dot for work out to 200 yards.... I would recommend an aimpoint or a high quality reflex sight too like the trijicon RMR or burris fast fire, or Leupold delta point. Nice thing about aimpoints is that soldiers trust them with their lives... so a big game hunter or dangerous game hunter can trust their lives with them as well. They will last for 5 years with one battery and are not only waterproof but submersible

I've got the Leupold DeltaPoint - using the tip of the delta works very well. I believe Red Dots are only parallax free for 50 yards - but you won't notice anything relative to parallax beyond that with the higher quality red dots scopes/heads up displays. The Leupold DeltaPoint takes the recoil from 500 SW & 454 without a problem, so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Burris Fastfire II on my GG and with my older eyes get star effects but plan on using it on elk this fall in Oregon if the elk cooperate. I have not put a lot of rounds through this set-up, but also have XS for back-up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts