Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all just wondering if anyone has a red dot scope mounted  on their lever gun i have a marlin 1894 in 44 mag and a marlin 1894 c in 357 mag i am looking  into putting a reddot sight on them  it will  either be a aimpoint or leupold any information would be very helpfull thank you, david

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Well I don't have a Red dot on a lever, but I have an Aimpoint Comp ML xd on my AR15.  The quality is excellent, and Being able to access your target with both eyes open is definetely a plus.  I have often thought of making my Ashley Outdoors sight on my shot gun the "backup" sights and putting a red dot or holographic site on the receiver mounted on a see thru mount.
 I imagine that in the 'hardwoods', the red dot would work very well mounted on a Win. trapper or Timber Carbine.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,321 Posts
Just got back from a hog hunt with a Leupold 2x-7x on a Marlin 336.  This works very well.  I'm not a real big fan of red dots but that's more reflective on the type of hunting I do, pigs are often shot in low light and just a bit of magnification helps a lot with shot placement.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Personally,I tend to lose the crosshairs in low light. I have had a pro point on my 1895 45-70 for about ten years and I would recomend a red dot for some applications like bears over bait. If you plan to do mutch shooting past 150 yds or so stick with a low power scope.

·
Banned
12 Posts
I have a red dot scope on a couple of handguns & one shotgun. Am going to take them off the handguns. One is a ruger mark II & the dot is so large at 35 yds it is not feasable for small game hunting. Is a 5 min tasco. It completly covers the bottom of a beverage can at that range. Other handgun is Raging Bull .454. dot competly covers a paper plate at about 65 yds. also is a 5 min scope.BSA. BSA 5 min scope is excellant on 870 12 guage that doesn't shoot exactly to point of aim. was the best way i fouund to zero it in.  If i were to put on rifle i would suggest getting one that has 1 min. dot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had an Ultra Dot red dot on my 1894C and it worked very well. It now has an AO ghost ring and a bead front.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts