Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to mount a red dot sight on my 629. I owned another .44 several years ago, and wrecked 2 cheap red dots on it. Midway has a Nikon Monarch for $249 that looks good. Does anyone have experience with this sight? Does anyone know of a less expensive sight that has proven itsself rugged? I know nothing about red dot sights.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
If I remember correctly there are quite a few reviews on Midway USA and mostly good. It may not hold up well to heavy loads. The Millet red dots at less than half as much $$$ had the same reviews as far as quality and customer satisfaction. May want to check them out.

·
Banned
421 Posts
I have two UltraDot 30 red dot sights that are rugged enough for a 270 Winchester with no problem. I paid around $150 each for them three years ago from Larry's Guns.
http://www.larrysguns.com/

They are also available in 1" tube size for a few dollars less. I can't recommend them highly enough. I'm not familiar with their holo style sights. UltraDot is the #1 red dot in the competition shooting world, so that was good enough for me.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Rifle vs Pistol

The recoil of a 44 mag pistol with heavy loads will do nasty things to optics not built for it, eventially if not immediately.On the other hand 270 recoil from a rifle can be tolerated by even cheap optics and last for years. If the Ulra's have good reviews on big bore pistols ,then that's a killer deal. Get one and tell us how they work----I may just have to get one!:D

·
Banned
421 Posts
I believe the UltraDots are used on high caliber silouette guns as well, but Larry's Guns could verify that for you. They are good honest people to deal with. The UltrDot is covered by a lifetime warranty as well I believe.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Not a 629, I broke a number of inexpensive "recoil proof" red dots on a .44 mag T/C Contender. If I'd had an extra Ultra Dot, I'd probably have put that on. As it was, I had a Eotech that was not mounted and used it. It worked perfectly and stood up to the recoil. Ultra Dots are sure cheaper, though.
Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts