Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Went out for the first shot with my redfield 3-9x40 revolution accurange and when I shot the targets at 50m i was having a lot of difficulty trying to find the impact holes. I mucked around with the focus bu nothing seemed to work? I ended up looking through a Leupold to sight in. It shoots straight but i can't seem to find the right focus and neither could a few of the guys at the club. Does anyone know whats going on or is it just the scope?
regards
Jayden

·
Registered
330 Posts
Cano,

When you said you mucked around with the focus do you mean the objective bell housing near your eye that allows you to turn it in and out and then lock it down with the locking ring? If that's the case and you could not bring it in you could just have a bum scope. Was it clear when you purchased it? Otherwise take it back, no reason it should not be crystal clear at 50 m.

good luck
GF

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Cano,

When you said you mucked around with the focus do you mean the objective bell housing near your eye that allows you to turn it in and out and then lock it down with the locking ring? If that's the case and you could not bring it in you could just have a bum scope. Was it clear when you purchased it? Otherwise take it back, no reason it should not be crystal clear at 50 m.

good luck
GF
the Objective Bell is at the front of the scope the Occular is at the rear, your scope is set to a parellax to 100 yrds or maybe even further (i haven't looked at their specs) at 50M and cranked up to 9x the image will not be in focus but i would think it should be enough to see the bullet holes.
the Occular adjustment is to bring the cross hair into foccus for the individual shooters eyes. if it is not in focus the eyes have a hard time trying to focus at two different things at the same time (the cross hairs and the actual target image) and if you're an older sort like myself will make it a bit more dificult to see the target image. another item that can lend it's self to degrading optic performance is how much adjustment you had to use to get the target sited in. if you are at the end of the internal adjustment of your scope your optic performance can suffer especialy at the high end range of the power setting (9x).
try looking at the target at 3x, is the image clearer? if you have adjusted the scope properly for your eyes and still have issues then yes return it. do you have any eye issues? do you wear glasses for everyday use? if so have them on when you adjust the scope

1 - 3 of 3 Posts