Shooters Forum banner

Redfield Illuminator 6x -20x

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Snowleopard1961 
#1 ·
Hello all! I am not new to Redfield or their optics but last fall I happened to run into two of the above mentioned scopes. I have a silve one on a 220 Swift & a black matte on an H&H 300 Mag. ( Yes I love the odd calibers :) ) As the weather has just gotten tolerable outside I took my 300 out to sight in and when I took the cover off the turret the turret itself turns and has #s 0 ,4 , 8 , & 12 around the dial with an up arrow for turn direction .....there are no values for these #s on the turret. On top of the turret is another small adjustment knob that says 1 Div. it has a “0” and the 1/8 MOA. I cannot find any info anywhere that has two adjustments under the turret. I am assuming that the center is 1 division of the outer turret in 1/8 moa divisions.If all that is correct I guess my question is what are the 0-12 values of the outer turret? &at what distance......a guess would be 0-12” @ 100 yds ??? Can someone explain this scope and comment whether my assumptions are correct??

#5 ·
I'm the "Troll Whisperer" Moderator for the site!

Strange that a scope having those configurations would not have specific instructions regarding adjustments of all items capable of adjustment. Have several target scopes in that power range of yours from Redfield and different mfg's. They all came with very detailed info for calibration/adjustments.

#7 ·
Jester , you did see I stated they are seperate dials? The top dial is like a normal adjustment dial on top of the turret which is the one in 1/8 MOA for a total of 8 MOA up from “0” & 8 MOA domwn from”0”
The turret itself also turns and that has the 0 , 4 , 8 , 12 on the turret. The top dial will turn with the turret and can turn by itself inside the turret. So from what you said I gather the turret is major MOA adjustment and the small inner dial is “fine tuning” in 1/8 MOA increments?.......If the bullets weren’t $3 a piece If just go shhot the thing and figure it out!

#8 ·
I checked on Redfield’s site and there was no mention of the Illuminator. Intended on sending you a link to the manual. Seems they haven’t kept the site up to date since the catalog was 2015.
Did get their phone number 877-798-9686.

Sorry I couldn’t help.

#9 ·
Thanks for giving ot a shot ! Yes Redfield has not made these in many years I happened to find someone that had three New in Box old stock. I’ll take it out and mess with the turret adj. first this time as I did not try the turret I just messed with the inner dial which is looking more like a “fine tuner” than the actual adjustment dial?

#10 ·
Guess at this point it’s about all you can do.
For checking scope tracking I built a device that screws into a post (I use one on my covered deck). Just aim the scope at a sight in target at what ever distance you choose. It has adjustments for side to side and up and down. A person can twist away on your turrets without firing a round.

Attachments

#13 ·
You should be able to figure out if you are correct on the coarse/fine hypothesis without burning any ammo...you'll either need a sighting rest or remove the scope and lock it in a vice. I mounted a pic rail to a length of 1/2" bar stock for clamping scopes in a vice. Put a target at some distance of your choosing (100 yards would make for pretty easy math and readability) then center the scope & run the turrets to see what the knobs do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.