Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Im on a budget and i am tossing up between these three scopes for my Rem 700 .308
Either the Redfield Revolution, the Nikon ProStaff or the Bushnell Legend all in 3-9x50.
Which scope is the best quality and which one would you guys choose?

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
To my way of thinking, Redfield now has the backing of Leupold, so it makes it an easy decision

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Of the 3, I would choose the Nikon. Burris Fullfields are good solid meat and potatoe scopes too. Bushnell 3200 and 4200 Elites can be found online for not much more than the Prostaff as well.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Of your three scopes, the Nikon Prostaff.

Since you are on a budget, may want to check this scope. It is basically a Weaver Grand Slam Scope with another name on it with a price lower than ones you are considering. Made in Japan with Japanese optics. It has a one year over the counter exchange and then a life time warranty too. Retailed price was about $350 and now with discount and Rebate, you can get it for $130 + shipping.

If below link does not work, visit http:www.natchezss.com
and on their search type in Nitrex TR1 and you'll find a 3-10x50 TR1 scope thats worth a look.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentId=productSearch&searchItem=nitrex%202

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Hi all, Im on a budget
Which scope is the best quality and which one would you guys choose?
I wouldn't go with a low end Bushnell, as they seem to develope problems.

I have three Nikon Prostaff scopes, 2 in 2X-7X, one Turkey Plex 1X-4X. They are as clear and durable as my Leupolds, and have held up well even on my slug guns.

The new Redfield's I have yet to hold in my hand, but as optical lenses go, almost all are made in Japan, even Leupold's according to an article by John Barsness. I suspect it would be at least equal to a Nikon.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
only you really know your needs but that being said, for your power range selected, i would give second thoughts to the 50mm objective. just don't need it with that magnification range and the decent optic coatings that you will have with any of those choices. a 40mm objective will do all you need to and allow the scope to be mounted lower on the rifle and make it a lot easier to get the rifle and scope into position without have to strain your neck. (but maybe you're one of those real long neck guys out there and want a higher sitting scope)

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I was going to say the same thing on the 50mm as Jim did. If you are on a budget, there are some very good 3x9x40s out there. A quality 3x9x40 is likely brighter at dusk and dawn than a 50mm that may cost as much, but overall is a lesser quality scope. What is the intened use for the scope and gun? Hunting, target, varmit, combo? Where and what game? What is the least and most you want to spend? If we know these things, I think we can get you dialed into some good options.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The scope will be going on a bolt action .308, i use this rifle specifically for pig shooting, i normally shoot pigs early morning, late afternoon and night, so the light is always low. I won't spend more than $250 on the scope.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
The scope will be going on a bolt action .308, i use this rifle specifically for pig shooting, i normally shoot pigs early morning, late afternoon and night, so the light is always low. I won't spend more than $250 on the scope.
Keep in mind that the exit pupil of the scope is the objective/power. A young human eye can only dilate to 5mm and if you can remember when the cost of gas for your truck was just a passing thought when planning a hunting trip, it's likely your adult eye is closer to 4mm. Divide a 40mm objective by 9 power and you get 3.6mm. That's close enough. It makes no sense at all to get a larger objective than 40mm until you get into the 12 power, or higher, range.

Also, consider the situation: It's 0'dark:30 and you're in your stand, waiting for Wilbur to wander by and present a shot. What power is your scope on? In the first minutes of legal light, you're not going to take a 250-yard shot into the gloom, so your scope is dialed down to 3X. At that power, you're getting way more light transmission through the scope than your eye can take in, so the only limiting factor is the quality of the glass and the percentage of available light it actually transmits. In other words, during the times you're most concerned about, a very high-quality fixed 4X is considerably more valuable than a 4-12x50.

Just grist for the mill...

Jason

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Although Redfield is owned by Leupold now i don't know enough about them to advise you to buy. The old USA Redfields were fantastic scopes for their cost at the time.

I haven't owned a Prostaff but have heard good things about their entry level scope. Based on previous Nikon experience, I'd consider it a better bet than the Bushnell. Have you ruled out a Nikon Buckmaster? It's Nikon's mid-level scope and a good glass for the money. Had several of them and not a bad experience yet.

Also would agree with the previous posters on the 50mm objective, it's not needed on a 3x9 and is definately more liability than an asset.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
With a $250 cap, you can have a Bushnell Elite 3200 or even a 4200 if you shop around. These have a very good rep for durability and read my post titled Test: VX-3 vs Monarch vs 4200 vs Conquest to see what I think about the 4200. In the off season you could find them occasionally for under $250. It may be tough now though.

I own 3 Burris Fullfields and they are well made scopes. They hold a zero well, are durable, have a lifetime warranty, good eye relief, and have reasonably good glass for the money. If you ever need a pair of basic field binos, or an extra pair for your car or boat, there is nothing wrong with their 3x9x40 and bino combo (for the money). I bought one a couple years back and put the scope on a inline .50 cal muzzle loader that REALLY kicked and the scope suffered no ill effects. It sits on a .30-06 now and the binos, while no Leica or Zeiss, work just fine.

I think a VX-1 would be a decent choice in your price range. Glass is comparable to the Burris Fullfield as far as brightness. Leupold scopes are durable, have a great warranty and very good eye relief.

My only Nikon is Monarch 4X fixed. It can be found for under $250 is you shop and it is very bright. I like fixed power scopes though. My opinion of the Protaffs is that they are slightly brighter than the Fullfields and VX-1, but Nikon eye relief is a bit more sensitive in my opinion. The margins between the three in these areas is very slim IMO and judgements will vary from shooter to shooter.

If brightness is really what you are after, you might consider this: http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-9x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9158.aspx

With the $75 rebate you will be right at $250. I think that is a great value. I tested one last week and loved it.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
One other thing to consider when looking for a low light scope is the reticle. I would absolutely recommend a heavier than normal reticle for low light shooting. I have done a lot of low light testing on the 50+ scopes I own. What others have said previously, that a higher grade of scope/glass/coatings in a lower sized objective is a better choice (regarding 50mm vs 40mm or 32/33mm) is absolutely true in my experience. I would scrap the thought of wanting a 50mm objective in a quality $250 scope. The large objective in that price class is simply a smoke & mirrors thing IMO. I'd be willing to bet that should you have a chance to compare, with low light, a 2-7x35 Burris FFII, 2-7x33 Leupold VXI, 2-7x32 Bushnell Elite 3200, 3-9x40 Nikon Buck Masters or 3-9x40 3200 to any of the 50mm scopes you mentioned, I'd bet $$ you'd choose one of the higher grade scopes with smaller objective. I'd look for the 3P#4 in the Burris, the Heavy Duplex in the VXI and especially the FireFly in the 3200s as reticles. A heavy reticle, or in the case of the Bushnell 3200 Elite, a heavy, glowing FireFly reticle is far better than the typical Duplex type in low light, hands down.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
My cousin just recently bought a 30'06 in a vangaurd, and put a 3-12x40 redfield scope (forget model) but it was about 180$ i think. The scope is pure crap, he would adjust it say an inch the the right and it wouldnt make the adjustments untill he Adjusted it vertically. It has a decent pic lookin through it though..lol.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts