Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any problems with winchester primers in a redhawk? I had two rounds (out of 25) that did not fire and in both cases the primers were bearly marked. After examining all the fired cases the primer indentation was fine. One of the two rounds I "re-fired" and function was normal. I am not sure if a couple of the primers were exceptionally hard or if a malfunction occured with the redhawk. The redhawk has less than 500 rds. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
156 Posts
I use WLP in my Redhawk and have never had any problems in that regard. I`ve never had a misfire from my revolver in that way. I do seat my primers with a Lee hand priming tool. I don`t know how much help I`ve been.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Years ago when I had my first Blackhawk in 41 mag.  I received some Winchester Silvertip factory ammo for it for my Birthday.  Out of a box of 20, 8 cartridges would not fire.  I tried firing these bulletts over and over, but I had 3 that never would fire.   Thinking it was my gun I loaded the cylinder with factory Remington and they fired one after another without a hitch.  I wrote Winchester and they wanted me to send them the unfired cartridges.  In the mean time I had pulled them down to reload some dependable cartridges.

Later a friend of mine had purchased some Winchester Large Pistol primers and he also had some problems.  It seems odd because a lot of the reloading manuals use the WLP.   All that I know is that if I need it to go bang I use CCI.  

But if the primer is barely marked as you stated then I would definitely take a look at your firing pin.  Also with the Ruger it is possible to let off the trigger after the sear is broke but before the hammer hits the transfer bar, this will usually leave a mark like you are describing.  I found this out when I was trying to shoot a really good group from a rest.  I was slowly squeezing the trigger with a deep breathe.  I started shaking and needed to re-group.  Let off the trigger but at that instant the sear broke the hammer fell but the round never went off.  And it left a mark like you described.

Good Luck,

God Bless

·
Registered
287 Posts
Other things to check too... How dirty are your primer pockets? They do need occasional cleaning, carbon buildup could cause the primer to not seat at full depth, causing a cushioning effect as the primer is pushed further forward by the hammer fall. Also, your primer pockets could be okay, but the primer not seated deeply enough, causing the same problem. LEE Auto Primes are a notorious culprit for short seating primers, due to the links wearing out. I have a couple of worn out Auto Primes somewhere around here, so I'm offering first hand knowledge here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will, interesting on the let off. As far as primer pockets, they are find and I use a dillon setup. As far as CCI primers... standard or magnums???  (240 gr lead with 12.7 grs. of AA5).

Thanks for all the responses, I think I have more questions than answers, but that can be a good thing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Broadsword,

As far as mag or not, I use the 350 mags when using H110 and 300 large pistol when using other powders that don't need the extra heat for ignition, Unique, Titegroup, 800X, 231, etc.  And I do believe that AA5 falls into this latter group.
Hope this helps,

God Bless,

Will

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An interesting note. I did some dry firing on the redhawk and can notice an audible difference between squeezing the trigger "normally" and squeezing the trigger very slowly (both with the hammer starting in the cocked position). When squeezing the trigger very slowly it is noticable that the hamer does not fall as hard. This makes zero sense to me. I have looked at the assembly diagram and it should not make a difference. I had this gun refinished with a metalcol III finish and upon inspection the hammer spring was finished too, as were all the internal parts. It is my understanding that the temp requirement for metalcol III is 300 degrees, which shouldn't effect the spring integrity. I am going to ry a new spring, but I have my doubts. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,440 Posts
Transfer bar..... when you squeeze the trigger very slowly, it won't go as high up as when you squeeze it quickly (basically the difference is the overtravel).

Make sense?  I think Redhawks have a transfer bar... anyway, saw this information in response to someone having a very similar question regarding a Ruger Blackhawk on another forum.

As far as the cure... not sure, without one in front of me to inspect.  My guess would be another transfer bar is in order.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've used probably 500 WLP's so far in my Redhawk with no problem yet.  

Off the subject, my only failure so far with the Redhawk was cylinder binding when the release button got dirty and dry and stuck half way up when I closed the cylinder.  Happened a bunch of times before I spotted the problem.  I really watch this now. I blow it out real well with solvent and blow oil into it, and check it a lot.   adk

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've loaded more WLP primers here in the shop than any other. Lot's of these have been in 44 Mags. They've been fired in most every kind of firearm by my customers, including the RH. I've never had a primer related misfire. I guess the most misfires I've witnessed have been with CCI 200 rifle primers and Win. small pistol primers. Most of these weren't loaded by me so I can't explain for certain what happened.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts