Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, look a the pictures first.

A recently fired case: (5.5 grains of Bullseye, 250 grain 429421)

Here's the deal. I noticed this after cleaning the other day and the firing pin was "stuck out" not allowing the cylinder (loaded) to close easily or rotate after it was closed. I've since "freed up" the firing pin and the gun still shoots like it did 25 years ago. What I can't figure out is what really caused the "dimple" around the firing pin hole.

I had a theory that this was caused by the primers working in and out during firing, but I've had no loose primer pockets ever. The gun has seen a pretty steady diet (say 30-40%) of magnum loads and the rest have been the load listed above. While the magnum loads have been "hot" they were not excessive. 24 grains of H110 or WW 296 and a 240 grain XTP or Remington hollow point.

I have absolutely no idea how many rounds this gun has shot, but if I were to guess? 5-6000?

:confused:

RJ

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've had a Redhawk since they came out with them and was a Ruger distributor for many years. Never saw this. I would send it back to Ruger and see if they can help. I suspect the battering of 5-6K rounds has slowly pushed the recoil plate back. the area around the firing pin recess is not quite as thick there. You have nothing to lose at this point by sending it to Ruger. They may surprise you. Great customer service.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I had a firing pin sticking out problem once. Had a local gunsmith replace the firing pin and all has been well since. Don't know about that recoil plate though. I would not have thought it possible in a Redhawk. I agree with Sportclay that sending it back to Ruger would be a good idea. They have good customer service and will fix things back to factory spec.

Please let us know how things turn out.

Bill

ps... Good morning Marshall.

·
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm not all that concerned about it now, but in another 5-6k rounds I might be and then I'll be 75. Like kdub, m1895 and others, well past my shooting prime :D None of the rest of the gun shows any signs of "age". OK, it's got a few character dings and scratches like one would expect, but nothing to make me want to stop shooting it.

Also might be a good reason to try to talk the wife into letting me get that new SB Pro-hunter:D

Hey Marshall, good to see ya.

RJ

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I'm not all that concerned about it now, but in another 5-6k rounds I might be and then I'll be 75. Like kdub, m1895 and others, well past my shooting prime :D RJ

:eek: Quit pushing, We are not 75 years old YET! :p

·
Registered
521 Posts
I don;t know much 'bout them Redhawks. But, I shoot a bit of S&W .38s and the wear pattern pattern around the FP hole looks normal.

The cylinder pin hole looks funky...excessive?, don't think so.

The area on the case looks funky too. Your primer strike looks normal. The semi-circular patterns from the "E" in Rem to the "G" in mag....don't like that. Do all of your cases have that? If so, I may think about sending it back. If not, then no-sweat.

Revolvers are such odd beasts that if you change one thing it affects two others. I assume that you are shooting mostly SA. There are many types of little burrs that will lock up a revolver dead. If you use just a little emery board on them, and knock em down, it will clear em up and they will run just fine for years. (like maybe on the rim of the firing pin hole).

Firing pins do wear out, and they also do wear funny. But, I'm not sure of what was wrong w/your gun

·
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The semi circles are not normal for sure, but they are not from shooting. Maybe a manufacturing thing? Some of my other brass has them, but in a different pattern and in a different place. :confused:

Yes, I shoot probably 99.9% single action, I have a 1911 for "spray and pray" :D

Sorry M1894, 74. :D

RJ

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
You and that Ruger are just gettin broke in, RJ ! I'd send it in then tell us what they found. We are all starving for information. Help us out.:D

·
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, if I do send it back, do I just send it to them? Or do I have to send through an FFL'd dealer?

RJ

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
You can send it directly to them, and they will return it back to you, no FFL required.

Call them though, they will pay the shipping, but you gotta ask for it, otherwise UPS/Fedex will gouge you for $75+.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts