Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have a redhawk in 45 colt comming. I've been told that on the 45 blackhawk the cylinder mouths are often too small. Isd this generally the case with the redhawk?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Generally speaking the Ruger Blackhawks, Bisleys, and Vaquero's (which are all really the same basic gun) in 45 Colt have very tight cylinder throats. My Bisley measured out at .450 while the bore slugged out to .4515. I can't speak from experience about the Redhawk, but it stands to reason that the throats would be tight asa well.

This is a very easy fix, either your gunsmith opens the throats or you can do it at home with some simple tools. The first order of business will be to slug the barrel and each charge hole of the cylinder to verify the exact measurement of your gun. Most gunsmiths open the throats to .453 to allow the use of bullets sized .452. This would be the case for a gun whose bore measured .451 or .4515 which is typical of the Blackhawk family of guns.

Sorry I didn't have the exact answer to your question but I hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
If that Redhawk was made in the last three years, it will most definitely have cylinder throats that are undersize!

If you slug them you will find them running from .4505"-.451"  although sevicable for jacketed bullets, a certified distaster for cast.  Either open them up yourself, or hava a smith do it, and set them at .452"-.453" for best performance in both jacketed and cast.

The .45LC Redhawk is a great gun... and well worth setting up the cylinder properly.   You won't regret the extra effort spent doing it!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a Redhawk in .45 Colt and yes the throats are a little small. Mine slugged .451 along with the bore. It also shoots very, very well, and would probably shoot even better with them opened up a little more, to say .453. I can't say enough good things about the Redhawk. The strength of the gun is legendary, the accuracy is well above average, just what a guy needs. This is one of my all time favorite guns.     ENJOY!

God Bless

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts