Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ruger Redhawk that I am seriously thinking about converting from 44 Mag to 45LC.  I know I could purchase a Redhawk in 45LC but since I already have a SBH in 44 Mag I thought my Redhawk would be a perfect candidate for this conversion.  It would also be a great companion piece to my Reeder Bisley 5-shot 45LC.  By scoping the Redhawk I would have a 45 with open sites and scope sites.  My loads for the Bisley 5-shot are not full power and would work well in the Redhawk (in fact the loads I use for the Bisley are the same loads recommended in the Article on the "Big Ruger 45s on this site foe the 45LC).

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith that will rechamber the cylinder and rebore the barrel?  I thought about Clements but am still looking.  Any help would be most appreciated.   Thanks...RW

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
I would think that Clements would be a good place to start on your conversion quest.   Also, about barrels, rather than rebore what you have, check with Clements, Bowen, Linebaugh and Reeder for take-off barrels in .45 Colt for your Redhawk.   Many of these barrels are available for a very modest cost.   Doing your conversion this way will make it much more affordable, only having to repunch the chambers in the cylinder and install a factory barrel & set cylinder/barrel gap.

FWIW, just an idea.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
192 Posts
RW,

I'm not certain but I'd think it would be cheaper to sell your 44 and pick up a new Redhawk in 45 Colt. There's always someone looking for a good used 44. Check the conversion prices and see what will wok best for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.  The reason I'm considering having the rebore on the barrel is to bring it and the chambers more in the correct size (line bore) and hopefully extract as much accuracy as possible.  I have a friend who had a 357 mag Blackhawk converted to 44 Spc this way and it is one of the most accurate sixguns I've seen (right there with my Reeder Bisley).  

Shoot straight

Jeff

·
Registered
192 Posts
Jeff,

I gotcha! With that in mind, go forth and make a super  accuarate Redhawk. You just don't see that much dedication to building an accurate gun. I'll admit to not being able to hold my guns as well as they can shoot. All the gunsmiths listed are top notch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again.  I can't help playing (read that as having custom work done) with my Rugers.  Since finding the 45LC I've been thoroughly having fun.  And, for me at least, the big 45LC is easier to shoot with comparable loads as the 44 Mag and I get all the power I need for the lower 48.  My 5-shot will go right up to almost 454 levels but truthfully a 6-shot Ruger single or double action is all you need.  The beauty of my custom 5-shot is the cylinder length which is longer than the standard blackhawk and lets me use long heavy bullets without getting into usuable powder space.  The standard Redhawks also have this ability.  Don't really need the horsepower but its a thrill any way.  Equally my 14 year old daughter enjoys shooting the same Bisley with 45 Schofield and factory 45 LC loads.  As Paco Kelly has said of the 45-70, from elves to elephants.  This applies to the 45 LC (and not to get anyone's hackles up-the 44 Mag).  There is just something about using a 125 yr old cartridge that at one time people thought was a dead cartridge.  Sorry for being long winded.  Just like my old model 8 in 35 Rem - the 45 is an oldy but a goody.  I'm going to find someone to do the conversion and I'll be happy to let ya all know how it turns out.  Take Care...RW

·
Registered
287 Posts
RW- Just one little nit-picky detail needed here. If you have the Redhawk rechambered, I would have it rechambered with the same reamer as your 5 shot. Some 45 reamers are kinda sloppy, unless ordered otherwise. It could be frustrating to have two different chamber diameters in two different guns, in the same caliber. A friend of mine has this problem. Throat diameter is also a concern. I have a Redhawk and a Super Redhawk with different throat diameters. This concerns me with cast bullets. I like everything to be uniform. I guess it's time to buy a throating reamer for the .44s...------------------------------------------> Bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob, thanks for the reply.  I guess I really didn't think about that.  I have all my dimensions from my 5-shot so I'll make sure I discuss that with whomever I have do the conversion.  Thanks for bringing that up...RW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts