Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished reading the Tech note on First Rifle. To make a long story short it got me thinking. I have worked up the following loads for my kids and me for deer hunting. I don't have a crony so I don't know the velosity. It my not be enough for the bullet I am using. Here goes:

165 gr Honady SP, 44gr Varget for the 06 and 35 gr. for the 308. Do you think these will get the job done on our S.C. deer. No shots over 150 yds.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,221 Posts
The '06 load sounds OK - Hodgdon's starting load with 165gr. bullet is 47 grains / 2726fps, should work OK on deer.  I'd guess that your load is no more than 200fps slower.

The .308 load sounds a little light, since their starting load is 42 grains / 2582fps.  Going down to 35 grains, you could be below 2,000fps.  Many bullets won't expand below that velocity.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I continue to be amazed at the differences in the bullet and powder manuals. Hordady sent me the pages for the 308 out of there new manual and it lists the 35gr at 2200 fps. I noticed a few changes from their old to new manual on same loads also. I really need a crony.
Thanks Mike.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Yep,  A &#3675.00 Chrony is one of the best investments you can make in loading equipment once the other basics are met.  It will take much of the guesswork out of your loading, and will reveal much that you took for fact to be erroneous.

I couldn't emphasize more the importance of a chronograph, now that they have become so reasonable in price, and so reliable in operation.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,221 Posts
Chief, no doubt that Hornady did get the 2200fps with their load.  However, I think that's probably still a little slow if you want a 150 yd deer round, for a typical spitzer bullet.  You could get below the threshold of bullet expansion at that range.

If you really want that velocity (ie. level of recoil), I'd just substitute a 170gr .30-30 bullet, which should work fine with that MV, or just move up to the starting loads w/Varget (say in the 2400-2500fps range) with the 165gr. spitzer.

My 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
For those 2200 fps and under velocity reduced .30 Caliber loads, don't forget to take a look at the excellent .30 cal. single shot pistol bullets available today.  They are specifically designed to expand on game at the reduced velocities generated by today's excellent single shot handguns with a variety of specialty loads.

These single shot pistol bullets are spitzer configurations and well suited to the velocity ranges mentioned in the above posts!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts