Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,039 Posts
I've loaded several reduced loads in a couple different 308's. Even with the same bullet and bottle of powder, never used one that was magic across all those rifles.
I suggest grabbing a copy of Lee's Modern Reloading and flip to the section with the 1-grain calc-factor.

Cheers

Reactions: changeagent

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,812 Posts
Check out Hodgdon's website. They list several reduced loads depending on bullet weights and powder.

Lyman's 50th lists cast bullet loads that could also be used with jacketed bullets.

RJ

·
Super Moderator
14,119 Posts
Hodgdon boasts of H4895 doing well with reduced load levels as low as 60% of listed loads. Personally, I avoid going below 70% case fill just for the sake of consistent performance. This would be about 32-35 grains of H4895 with a 150-grain bullet in most cases. QuickLOAD and GRT suggest this will send a 150-grain bullet out at about 2000-2300 fps.

That said, if you are trying to minimize recoil for a youngster just to have some plinking fun, cut the bullet weight. Find some 110-grain .30 Carbine bullet and see how they do with about 35 grains of H4895. This is a very light bullet for that powder, but recoil will be much limited.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry to dredge this one up but didn't see it mentioned.

Another powder to try if you can find it( fun too) is Trail Boss. I loaded some .308 back in the day and it was funny watching the reactions to a canless rifle shooting subsonic. HOWEVER and this is a big one, TB is a great powder with plenty of uses. I'm sure there are plenty of Dads that have taught the rule "measure twice, cut once." When working with Trail Boss the same rule applies, it's flake is almost the size of a donut and the useful case capacity can and will fill quickly. ;)

{EDIT: Please read the board rules on posting copyrighted materials}

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to dredge this one up but didn't see it mentioned.

Another powder to try if you can find it( fun too) is Trail Boss. I loaded some .308 back in the day and it was funny watching the reactions to a canless rifle shooting subsonic. HOWEVER and this is a big one, TB is a great powder with plenty of uses. I'm sure there are plenty of Dads that have taught the rule "measure twice, cut once." When working with Trail Boss the same rule applies, it's flake is almost the size of a donut and the useful case capacity can and will fill quickly. ;)

View attachment 105071
View attachment 105072
Thanks! That's what I was looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts