Shooters Forum banner

reduced recoil 243

23K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  dbarry 
#1 ·
anyone have any good tips on reloading reduced recoil loads for the 243? I have a young one that will be moving up to a centerfire rifle this year and want to start her out with some light loads prior to shooting full power stuff

#2 ·
You could start with a starter load on some lighter bullets, but I haven't had much luck with accuracy when dropping below 75 grain bullets. Even that is going to kick if it's a very light rifle. My 14 year old granddaughter is about 5'5' and weighs 130 pounds and she does not like shooting her Tikka T3 Lite, 243which weighs about 7 1/2 pounds with scope, but she's shooting a pretty hot load with 95gr Nosler's. She can shoot it very well, she just does not like to. She has a 260 that kicks about like a 222 and that's the one she always wants to shoot at the range.

I would start by installing a LimbSaver recoil pad, next I would look into putting one or two of these in the stock http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/suppressors/index.htm Just adding the weight of those will help, and they do help calming one down.

#3 ·
Depending on how much you want to reduce recoil energy, you might find that the load shown on this page will help: http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth Loads.pdf

A stock that fits, with a good recoil pad (Kickeez, Limbsaver, Pachmayr) will reduce felt recoil appreciably. In my experience with quite a few new and young shooters, muzzle-blast often effects how they interpret recoil as much as the kick, itself, so don't neglect to use very good hearing protection. If they aren't used to shooting guns larger than a .22LR, I would recommend ear muffs over top of ear plugs. Yep, use both, for new shooters.

The factory .243 Win ammo doesn't kick all that much to begin with. If the Hodgdon Youth Loads don't appeal to you, I would consider using the 85gr Nosler Partition bullet over the most accurate middle to low-end charge, for velocity in the 2800-2900fps range. With a good stock, recoil pad, and some practice, I bet your young shooter will be pretty comfortable shooting that 243, in just 2 or 3 range sessions.

#5 ·
Recoil pad, light bullets, starting charge weights. That ought to do it.

Also - let her shoot a LOT of .22 rimfire first. A LOT! Then a few rounds at time with the centerfire.

My experience / opinion. Best of luck.

#7 ·
Try some 60/70gr bullets, over 12gr of Trail Boss. Noise and recoil are well below anything from the factory. Recoil in the .223 range, noise in the .22mag range, accuracy is sub MOA from my .243.

When you want to shoot something in the deer or antelope range of critter, grab a box of 85gr Nosler Partitions. They are very effective, and are noticably lower recoil than the 100gr bullets.

#12 ·
Quite right, but I don't think you looked at the OP closely enough. ;)

"anyone have any good tips on reloading reduced recoil loads for the 243?"

He's not asking about MR factory loads in the first place.

#13 ·
I like the reduced load 80 gr for practice and teaching the youngsters, but go with somehting a bit closer to regular for hunting. I'm going to load up some 85 gr Barnes to about 2850 fps for next year. The kids probably won't notice the difference. ( I snuck a couple 100 gr factory laods while Valerie wasn;pt looking,and she never commented on anything different.)

I know from experience now that a 243 doesn' leave much of a blood trail if there isn't an exit hole.

#15 ·
I don't think you will have a problem with that. I don't let my son shoot his deer rifle (.250 Sav.) much except at fur. As much of the practice as possible is with a scoped .22 rimfire.

Frankly, the same goes for my wife with her 6mm Rem. Practice, practice, and more practice with the rimfire. As long as the stocks on the centerfires fit and the scopes won't hit them, it shouldn't be an issue in the field.

#18 ·
For really light loads I'll second TMan's suggestion of Trail Boss loads. Read this from Hodgdon/IMR.

#27 ·
I know that Lyman manuels have mim and max load, look for one from a good manuel of the powder you are using and don't go below the listed Min. The reason being is you can get delayed ignition. The primer pushes the bullet out and then the powder fires afterwards. Can cause excessive pressures like those of a squib load.

#20 ·
A Trail Boss load will be your ticket. It's not critical as you can fill the case under the bullet without reaching full pressure. It's the highest bulk powder made, so a full case is still a very light load, and you can do this with any bullet weight. You just can't compress it any. That's the only limitation.

I'd suggest you follow that link I put up. It tells you just to start with a case 70% full. You slowly increase it from there to find a best accuracy point in your gun. Nobody can tell you exactly what that will be because each gun and bullet combination is an individual in that regard. Frankly, the recoil here will be so low I think any flat base bullet you select will probably do pretty well and the charge won't disturb the barrel much. Try the 75 grain Hornady flat base hollow point. Seat it to 2.680" COL (one caliber into the case). I show 11 grains is 70% full in QuickLOAD with that arrangement, but its case capacities tend to be conservative and the 12 grains TMan suggested may be closer in yours.

I saw someone posted some .308 loads driven by 15 grains of TB and it was grouping under an inch at 100 yards. This is the way to go.

#21 ·
55grn bullets and a starting load of powder should be extremely light in the recoil department. Pick a bullet that you have data for and use the recomended starting (lightest)
load listed for a fast to medium burn rate for 243. Sierra's fifth edition lists 36.2grns. IMR3031for a starting load for the 55grn blitzking, also 36.6 grns. of benchmark, 35.3 of H322, and 37 grns of IMR 4895 all starting loads. Using less than starting loads can create a serious over pressure situation which can be very dangerous, so do not use less than recomended starting loads. Hope this helps, Ron.

#22 · (Edited)
Yes, he could go to an even lighter bullet. The Hornady was just the first flat base I looked at, and that's because flat bases are usually easier to make shoot accurately at shorter ranges. But he could try their 35 grain V-max for even less recoil. I just expect it will be harder to get accuracy with. But it can be tried.

He wants the lightest possible load, and 70% filled with TB will be it for any bullet weight. The starting loads of the usual rifle powders will all be heavier.

#23 ·
no doubt Trail Boss is probably the bestest "powder puff" powder for what you wnat to do.

cast bullet load data is usually pretty low & slow.
again, you can adapt to use similar weight jacketed bullets.
you might be able to use a handgun or shotgun powder already on your bench.

no claims for accuracy tho.

#25 ·
Trail Boss is from IMR. Also, it is very fluffy and light for the amount of volume it takes up. These are properties it shares with the "Steel" shotgun powder. Anyway, when you buy a small container of it that would normally be a pound of some other powder, it will only be 9 ounces.

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.