Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7lb Marlin 45-70 and want to put some kind of recoil reducer on it.

What do you guys think would work the best.
A 1lb of lead in the stock or a mercury type reducer?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
What are you going to use the rifle for?

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Why add to the weight of the gun. A simple Limbsaver pad will make it a lot more fun to shoot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Second the Limbsaver
Put it on my 30-06 because it has a plastic butt plate
I bought the slip on velco one, much better:)
Even tried it on my 338 rum

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Where are you getting hurt by the recoil? Sounds like a stupid question but it is important. When I got my son his 1895 SS when he was 12 I had some pretty stout loads worked up for it. Now, this kid would sit there and shoot my .458 Win mag and .416 Rigby all day long and not complain about the recoil, but after after a few shots of the 45-70 he was complaining, a LOT. It turned out it was not the kick to the shoulder that hurt him, it was the bust in the chops. I had already put on a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad so the option for us was to have it it Mag-na-Ported. MNPing does not raise muzzle blast near as much as a break and does not affect velocity even one fps, we measured before and after with the same ammo, but it did keep the muzzle down that and solved our problem. It does very little for straight back recoil reduction but that was not our problem anyway.
If it is your shoulder getting beat up, Decelerate it or Limb Saver it. If your cheek is getting popped, Mag-na-Port it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No this rifle is not "beating me up", but I think a 1lb or so I would buffer the recoil and shooting off hand would hold better.

But my question was, would a extra pound of weight in the rifle, or a mercury recoil reducer, of the two which would reduce the recoil the most.

·
Banned
377 Posts
The Remington 405 grain factory load is a real pleasure to shoot and it doesn't kick at all. It will cleanly harvest anything in NA and most everything on the planet.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The 1" LimbSaver is a really good start, then use any Trapdoor level load ... both these will tame recoil significantly. Also make sure your hearing protection is good.
Cheers...
Con

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I shot service rifle years ago, we often put lead in the butt stocks. Some put lead in the magazines too. It all worked to reduce recoil. The cheapest thing to try is putting lead in the stock. Our M14s and Garands were already drilled out in the stock for cleaning gear, easy to fill up with lead shot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts