Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a post 64 Winchester 94 Wrangler I in 32 Win.Spl. The finish on the receiver is starting to come off. The flashing Winchester used is starting to show through. I DO NOT like it.
The receiver has rolled engraving.

I have contacted Winchester and they do not do this type of finish anymore. I do not know what they use. But in order to cut costs Winchester went from forging to casting and/or pressurizing powdered metals to form receivers. The receiver will NOT accept conventional bluing. So Winchester flashed a metal onto the receiver so it will accept bluing.

So now I have a receiver that has the finish coming off. I want to have it refinished. I have contacted several companies and individuals that use modern materials like Teflon and such. But the pictures do not tell me a whole lot.

Has anyone had a post 64 Winchester refinished? What does it look like? I do not want a military matte finish. I would prefer to have the bluing look. But I am open to other options. I also want to keep the rolled engraving.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A friend of mine had his post-64 M94 refinished: everything was reblued, except the receiver (for the reasons you stated); on the receiver they did a black molycoat. The finished rifle, while not appearing original, looked very, very good. The owner is completely happy with the results.

I've attached the url for the gunsmith who did the work.

http://www.vtgunsmiths.com/tis/tisindex.html

Yanqui said:
I have a post 64 Winchester 94 Wrangler I in 32 Win.Spl. The finish on the receiver is starting to come off. The flashing Winchester used is starting to show through. I DO NOT like it.
The receiver has rolled engraving.

I have contacted Winchester and they do not do this type of finish anymore. I do not know what they use. But in order to cut costs Winchester went from forging to casting and/or pressurizing powdered metals to form receivers. The receiver will NOT accept conventional bluing. So Winchester flashed a metal onto the receiver so it will accept bluing.

So now I have a receiver that has the finish coming off. I want to have it refinished. I have contacted several companies and individuals that use modern materials like Teflon and such. But the pictures do not tell me a whole lot.

Has anyone had a post 64 Winchester refinished? What does it look like? I do not want a military matte finish. I would prefer to have the bluing look. But I am open to other options. I also want to keep the rolled engraving.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OldCoot,

Thanks for the information. I had my Wrangler refinished in Roguard http://www.robarguns.com/ which is a molybdenum-disulfide based polymer.
I am very happy with the finish. I had the entire rifle refinished. I contacted many who could refinish it with a variety of finishes. The molycoat sounded like a good idea. I mainly went with the Roguard finish because Robar is nearby. But now I want to have a couple of parts like the hammer and trigger color-cased. Your friend went with a good finish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts