Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have any advice on possible refresh on the bore of a Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag?

Long story but after being stolen, recovered, kept in police evidence locker in plastic bag, condensation damage, then returned, in rusty and slightly pitted condition, would like to return to usible condition.

All over condition is the same, some pitting, but most all rust has been removed and now it just looks "old".

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
A jar of JB Bore paste and polish from Brownells will do a lot to clean up a rough bore. Use this on a tight bore patch and scrub away. A little elbo grease will get a lot of the rough spots out.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I would give it a gentle cleaning and then shoot some jacketed bullets through it, bet it shoots just fine.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Start by stopping "whatever" has happened. Take the handles off, and "soak it" in something kind to firearms for awhile. Kerosine comes to my mind.

A one gallon plastic(hi-tech polymer) bag with a spritz of WD-40 ain't bad either!

Let it sit for awhile so you can concider your options?

Cheezywan

·
Registered
935 Posts
Just a suggestion but once it's cleaned up, go ahead and shoot it, pits and all. Some guns shoot fine with less than perfect bores. Certainly there is nothing to loose.

If that does not work, jodum's suggestion of JB Paste is a good one. If that does not work, I'd firelapp the pits out of the bore.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'm considering my options, I guess I was kinda hoping someone would say, just load it up and see what happens.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
Like the others, I too would shoot some jacketed bullets thru the gun but only after cleaning the bore completely, if with nothing more than some good bore cleaner and a new stiff bore brush.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It might be worth a call to the Ruger service department. Maybe they would replace the barrel if it's bad enough. I've heard pretty good things about them repairing guns under warranty, even if the owner abused the gun (not that you abused it - the police did). The worst that could happen is they would tell you they'd charge you, and then you could try other things.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It might be worth a call to the Ruger service department. Maybe they would replace the barrel if it's bad enough. I've heard pretty good things about them repairing guns under warranty, even if the owner abused the gun (not that you abused it - the police did). The worst that could happen is they would tell you they'd charge you, and then you could try other things.

Yeah...what Cowboy said.

If you are unhappy with the present condition try Ruger. A call to the service dept. may get you what you are looking for and I doubt you will find a better price. Then if you are billed for it by Ruger , send the bill to the police who messed it up in the first place!!

I have seen some factory refinishing jobs and it will come back looking like a new gun plus they will more than likely just replace any internal parts that may be rusty. Unless you have an old model...then remove your action parts and reinstall them when you get the gun back because Ruger will keep them and convert the gun to a transfer bar safety while they are at it.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Firelapping or polishing the pits out of the bore will ruin it forever as far as any kind of accuracy is concerned. Its better to just live with them as it is more of a cosmetic and cleaning issue than a real effect on handgun accuracy.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have called Ruger, and they will look at it, but before I send it out, I took it to a gunsmith guy I know for an opinion, we'll see.
Ruger did say that I could UPS it and get it back directly form them by UPS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts