Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you on the forums are aware, we moved our entire website less than a year ago to dedicated hosting, to improve performance, speed and reliability of our services. Lately, we've had some issues of threads being lost on the forums, some intermittent down times that were inexplicable, but most recently, a 39 hour downtime that lasted from around midnight 21 July until sometime around 3pm PDT on the 22nd.

The company we were hosting this website through, on a dedicated server, is MCHost, and for no apparent reason, our entire website, our administrative control panel and our email servers were locked down, and our account suspended. Without notice, without justification, and the only message that anyone accessing the website would get, is an Over Bandwidth notice, and denial of access to the websites.

We had quite the running battle with MCHost for that 39 hour period.

Read the flap about this fiasco here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showt...threadid=167255

That last thread was locked, because the owner of MCHost squalled about the adverse publicity. So, here's the rest of that squabble.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=167571&highlight=MCHost

Still no valid reasons for why we were locked down, but rest assured, Alex is making tracks to get us off this server, and onto another, more stabil and reputable host than we're currently using. Kind of like a marriage, you don't really know the partner until you've lived with them a while. Same holds true with a webhosting company. We thought we had the perfect solution. Seems that is far from the case, but at least with the next move it will be relatively seamless according to Alex, as he's got a better system for moving the files, and setting up the domains so that most people won't even know that it's actually happened.

Thanks for the patience, and I'll keep you all abreast of latest developments! We have a policy here of openness and honesty, and thought you folks here on the forums should know and understand what's happening here.

God Bless, and thank you all.

Marshall

·
Registered
517 Posts
I was wondering what all that was about. Glad to see everything is back and running. Good luck Alex!

Edit to say that judging from the conversation, it almost looks like there was a malicious attack from within, and they are not willing to admit that their security pactices are not the best.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,948 Posts
Not being that computer literate, I'm not sure how these things come about.

All I can say with certainty is that I really enjoy this site and the products of Bearthooth Bullets. Here's hoping you do whatever needs to be done and we are able to continue this great board. We really appreciate your efforts.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm just glad you are back up, besides, your being down reminded me I need to start handloading and buy bullets to support your site.
Andy

·
Registered
471 Posts
Is there any way to get a lost thread recovered? Or would it just be best to restart it?

Thanks for providing the service. This is a fun forum.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,223 Posts
Bart, we've managed to pick up a few, but I would just go ahead and restart the discussion if I were you. Some of them seem to be gone forever.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Guys, we're just glad you're back, and the site now works better and faster than before. Plus, and in my opinion a big plus, this is a friendly site, too. I've been on another very popular one where they'll bite your head off in a New York second for daring to question the effectiveness of their pet cartridge (usually the 45-70) or for differing with them for any reason. I get tired of the bickering there, and find this board refreshing and enjoyable. Thanks and keep up the good work.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A quick update. As you can see from attempting to access our archived Tech Notes, Tips, Open Sight, and other feature articles, the links are broken. That's through no fault of our own, but a glitch in the old host's now-changed system. That code for the archived articles has worked for three years without a glitch. When the outfit we're currently hosted with finally got us back online, those links didn't work anymore, and the problem is with the configuration of their Apache based server.

Alex, as I write this is in the process of moving us to a new host, one more stabil, MUCH faster, and above all, they are above board! You may or may not see any glitches or down time to the website, we simply don't know how smoothly the transition will take place until we're in the middle of the switch, but none-the-less, if there are any down times, it will be significantly less than any of the intermittent down times we have experienced as a direct result lately of our current host. Please be patient with us if there are snags in the system. If existant, they will be minimal.

Finally, once completed you fine folks will enjoy the quality service and reliability that this site demands.

Thanks again for your participation, making this the excellent resource and environment it has become, and we're doing everything we can to enhance your time spent here.

God Bless,

Marshall Stanton

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK Folks,

We're in the process of changing over to a new server today (Tuesday 12 Aug), and you will see some abnormalities in perahps our home page, the various sections of the website intermittently will be down, but not for long, a matter of minutes in most cases.

Also, we'll be shutting down the forums for a period of about three hours in order to move the entire forum to the new server without losing any data. Also, you'll be getting a bonus, as we're updating the forum software, adding many new features giving you, the users more flexiblity, better search functions, more feature filled PM system, selectable display views and an overall upgraded and easier to use system. It will look and feel basically the same, but the advanced features all should appreciate. We will have perhaps the most advanced forum platform in the shooting industry at this time. Too, we'll not have the problems of lost threads.

Lastly, the server we're moving everything onto is BLAZINGLY FAST! It is actually faster than what Google uses! You'll see a marked improvement in load times for the entire website, and combining the new server speed, with the new forum software, these forums will be MUCH faster to browse.

Please bear with us today and tomorrow, the results will be worth any inconvenience you might experience.

Thanks again, and we'll look forward to seeing you all on the new system.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
70 Posts
An Update

Another update for the Forum Members...

BeartoothBullets.com, as well as LoadSwap.com and GuNuts.com are running on the new server, which is co-located directly off the Time Warner Network. When my father mentions that our server is faster than Google, he's refering to the average data transfer rate and ping times to most of the nation- meaning that most of you will be able to reach our server nearly twice as fast as you can Google. While we could never match the speed of the hundreds servers Google uses, the new server is running over five times the resources that the previous machine was on.

I will be shutting down the forum system some time this evening while I transfer the data, do some data repair/upgrades, and prepare everything for the new forum software. You'll see no data, settings, or general look/feel loss nor changes, however a multitude of new features will be apparent. If I'm correct we'll be the very first Shooting/Hunting community to be running the newest vBulletin 3 software.

Thank you for your support during this transfer, after things go offline, keep checking shootersforum.com as I should be able to seemlessly make this thing transfer for everyone- shouldn't even be a bit of DNS or "Page Cannot Be Found" errors on anyone's end.

If you have any questions, or need to contact me during this time, please feel free to email me directly, [email protected].

Regards,

Alex Stanton

1 - 10 of 10 Posts