Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for the grins I would like to broach a sensitive subject: Guns I wish I hadn’t sold. Starting with my Ruger .41 magnum which I bought decades ago & was unable to group mainly because of recoil which is close to 44 magnum. If I had it back I would love to shoot it again with reduced handloads. Sold it for a song & a dance & bought.357 which I could handle recoil better.
Second my Remington Nylon 66 which after getting decided it was a cheap plastic gun. Now looking at prices I wish I would have kept it.
Third I bought a new Remington.222 magnum which the guy eagerly sold me knowing that ammunition for it was all but non-existent. I burned the barrel out on it shooting prairie dogs much to their relief but damn it was pretty gun with above average wood….. should have had it re-barreled!
share your pitiful stories it might make me feel better..

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Guess my regret list is short. I gave my youngest son an exceptionally accurate 10/22. Had several others that was gifted to my other sons and the one I have now weren't as accurate.

The one that caused the most remorse was a 788 in .222. It was traded for a 700 in .22-250 when I thought the prairie dog game needed a step up. The cheap 788 was way more accurate than the rifle I traded for. Tried to buy it back but the new owner wouldn't consider selling. Learned a lesson that time, never sell a real accurate rifle.

Sold a M99 in .250 Savage for $300, thinking I made out like a bandit. Seeing what they are worth 25 years later gives me heart palpitations. The rifle that was bought with the money (M98 in .257AI) made it worth the regret.

Been many sales or trades over the years, with those exceptions mostly happy with the transactions.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I let go of my first S&W wheelgun for another S&W I wanted more. It wasn't anything special, just a 686-6. What it helped me acquire is the S&W 460V that I still have. I miss having an L-Frame, probably will look for a pre-lock specimen once I get serious about getting another. Regret factor: mild

Another I let go of, a S&W E-Series stainless 1911 with rail. I really liked that pistol, but it helped me get a brand new Winchester 70 Supergrade in 338WM. I positively love that model 70. The 1911 was nice, but it was my first and while I didn't by any means hate it, my being a wheelgun man made it not too difficult to let go of. Regret factor: mild

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Sold my little brother my Remington 11 for $40.00. Regret factor- high. Traded a Winchester 1897 as partial payment on new SBH. Should have kept it!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Regret selling my Remington 1100 D Grade Trap gun, a couple of 45 1911's. One was an original WWII Remington Rand. I did buy back a .22 Walther 1911 once (Sellers Regret). Sold dozens of revolvers over the years and never really regretted those as I always came out on top. I did have a S&W Model 15 stolen that I would love to have back. I'm sure there are others, but I really have more than I can currently shoot. :cool:

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
JW, had a Carcano carbine stolen from my pickup. Regret factor; Zero. Figured it might have taught the perp not to steal.

I'll see yer Carcano and raise you an Arisaka ?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I actually have an Arisaka in 6.5. I sold an Argentine Mauser a few years back and hoped to get a little more for it, but it had the crest ground off, but other than that was pristine. I actually had some 7.65 ammo for it, but I would not have trusted it because of the age. The old paper board boxes were green and some of the brass was discolored greenish too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just for the grins I would like to broach a sensitive subject: Guns I wish I hadn’t sold. Starting with my Ruger .41 magnum which I bought decades ago & was unable to group mainly because of recoil which is close to 44 magnum. If I had it back I would love to shoot it again with reduced handloads. Sold it for a song & a dance & bought.357 which I could handle recoil better.
Second my Remington Nylon 66 which after getting decided it was a cheap plastic gun. Now looking at prices I wish I would have kept it.
Third I bought a new Remington.222 magnum which the guy eagerly sold me knowing that ammunition for it was all but non-existent. I burned the barrel out on it shooting prairie dogs much to their relief but damn it was pretty gun with above average wood….. should have had it re-barreled!
share your pitiful stories it might make me feel better..
My Ruger GP100 4 inch stainless that I went through Poilice basic training on. Sold to my idiot brother who sold it probably for drugs:mad:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sold my Henry 45-70 steel carbine and got a s&w m&p r8. But I really miss the 45-70 now and I cannot find it anywhere. Regret. I will keep looking.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
The list is so long I don't know where to start, I've had over 150 guns but never more than about 25 at any one time. I had a pristine Mossberg 151 safe queen with all the bells and whistles, scope, target sights front and aft even the correct sling swivels. It came with a box of vintage ammunition-full box. That's just one of many I regret selling, several 4 digit serial numbered guns including a smith model 41 and xp-100.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sold my Henry 45-70 steel carbine and got a s&w m&p r8. But I really miss the 45-70 now and I cannot find it anywhere. Regret. I will keep looking.
henry 45-70 also Winchester 444
Shoot Grizzly 325 grn 2400 fps Recoil will rock you. 444 is near as bad , both accurate

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mostly see “brought it, loved it, sold it,….regret it” long story, but sometimes it’s different. Back in my younger days I acquired a REM Rolling Block #4 boy’s rifle in 32 rimfire in a garage sale for $10. But I don’t own anything I don’t shoot, wanted to trade for a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 LC, adj sights, 45/8”bbl. My dealer offered an even trade and then called to tell me he couldn’t get one. Distributor didn’t have any. So, being mildly upset, for those days, picked up the phone and called Bill Ruger, over in New Hampshire. Got his nephew (?) Tom, head of production at the time. He explained needing enough demand to warrant a production run, couldn’t promise when, but he did ask my dealer’s name, and his distributors name. Three days later my dealer called me and said, “ come get this Ruger outta my desk!” Tom must have had someone get the parts and assemble it. I will probably never have a Blackhawk as sweet as that one. But traded it for something. Regret selling that one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought 3 guns overseas at the base Rod and Gun Club, a Beretta 92(no s, sb, f), a Belgium Browning Hi-Power High gloss finish adjustable sights and wood grips, and an H&K Model 4 with all 4 caliber conversions. I sold the Hi-Power because it wouldn't feed hollow points where as the Beretta would. When I got a pair of consecutively serial numbered 92 SBWs, I sold the 92. I still have the H&K-4 although I don't shoot the .25 or .32 conversions, just the .22LR and .380. It wound up in my survival vest when I was flying in the Navy

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Regret- Owed a guy $200 or $300.
Gave him instead, my Star PD compact .45 cal 1911-style pistol !
Why are my eyes misting over ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I deeply regret selling my S&W 59. It was my first handgun and my first duty gun as a new LEO. I never realized how much sentimental value it would have years later :cry:.

I had to sell my Benelli M1 Tactical several years ago to pay bills and I told myself I'd replace it as soon as I could with an M1 or later but they were just too expensive to ever buy another. I can't even see one anymore without feeling ill.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I realize this thread is about things you sold, but after 42 years of pain/memories I'd like to impose and say this? When I was 24, I had approx. 35 weapons stolen from me. I had worked my a$$ off for them. My first duty weapon, a Dan Wesson sr# 92117 and that sr# is recalled from memory (accurately) as it was written down by me more'n several times as it was involved in shootings.

I had a Colt Combat Commander in .45 acp that I bought at Glen Slades in Houston and other'n that no significant history besides being fired more than a hundred thousand rounds and it was 'retired'.

A Colt SAA in .357 sr# 69811SA and that # being remembered because I dearly loved the handgun. It was bought at McBrides in Austin.

Sorry for hijacking, those weapons were the one's that hurt the worst. I thought writing about it would make me feel a little better? It didn't.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't have "regrets" but there are a few I wouldn't mind having back.

Sig PE57
Colt 4 3/4" SAA .40-40 Nickel
S&W Model 19-5 with TT,TH,RR,WO
Beretta Model 76 .22 Target
Antonio Zoli Kronos Sporting Clays 12ga

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I had a Kimber 22lr with upgraded wood, checkering, engraving and skeletonized pistol grip cap, wasn't really fond of shooting it but just holding it was soothing to the psyche, wish I had it back!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts