Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I don't know squat. What I do know is that my new Ruger Super Redhawk has a trigger pull like 80-grit paper.

If I'm going to have th trigger "done" what do I need to know?

Also, if I'm going to have the trigger "done" I might as well get a basic once-over to tighten things up more than a factory peice. I don't even know what this entails, but I would image it would include things like more closely align the cylinder to the forcing cone, tighten up the cylinder/barrel gap and maybe some additional trigger or hammer work. Can someone fill me in on what is or isn't useful?

My RSRH is a 454 Casull with 7.5" barrel. I use it for hunting pigs in California right now, but will give it a shot on deer, elk and eventually black bear when the time rolls around. It's not scoped yet, but I am considering it. I just wanted to make the pistol all it can be first.

Thanks foryour suggestions.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,441 Posts
I'd go for the cheap fix first:

Get a set of aftermarket trigger springs, like the Wolfe, and see what you can accomplish with that.

You can also disassemble and *lightly* polish the moving parts, say with 600 grit sandpaper backed by a flat piece of glass. Don't monkey with the sear engagement.

Cleaned, lubed, and put back together, might do wonders for the gun.

The other stuff, well, get the trigger fixed first, then see if you have accuracy problems or other issues. SRH is pretty durable, I'd be surprised if this was really necessary.

If you shoot cast bullets and they lead, I'd consider doing some lapping.

Good luck with your pig hunting.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Trigger job in a sack

My SRH needed some trigger help. My local 'smith ordered a set of Wolf springs for the gun. I installed the lightest set first and did a range test. One round out of 25 refused to fire. I went to the next lighter spring and have had noprimer failures since. The lighter spring set made all the difference in the world. The double action is much smoother and the single action is as good as ever. I did as SEAROY recommended and did a tiny bit of smoothing of the side of the hammer, the action where parts might rub, etc. Only TINY bit of POLISHING was done. After that I cleaned and LIGHTLY lubed the insides of the action. CLP, let it soak, blow it off with air pressure. Rub off any excess you can detect. You now have a trigger job. Make sure this gun is unloaded before working on it and test the cocked gun (unloaded) on a hard surface. You want to do a final check for any unexpected and unpleasant situations before you finally load this baby. My SRH was fired a bit before I bought it but the springs and smoothing helped a lot. Good luck. 'dito

·
Banned
7 Posts
Searoy,

I am a master gunsmith who is very familar with action work on the Ruger Redhawk.......I am in California and will do action work on this pistol if you like.........e-mail me....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts