Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people, just joined here. Am thinking of buying a semiauto .22, and think it will be the Ruger. Last one I had was the Reminton 597 but was not happy with it. So what do others have to say. I have an old Mossberg 146 B A, which is incredibly accurate. Had alot of firearms but now down to the Mossy and a Lyman Plains Rifle in .54 cal. Just sold the handguns, to much red tape here in Canada for my liking.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I have “more than a few” Mossberg ‘22’s and the Model 246 is my favorite.
You will be pleased with a Ruger 1022. You will find your self adding all sorts of after market parts to the rifle. This is both fun and very productive as far as reducing trigger pull, ease of bolt release and magazine removal. There are a wide variety of barrels available and you can even convert the rifle to “shorts only” if you desire.
I you are able to compare them, take a look at the Browning 22 Auto. The Browning – of any vintage - is a fine rifle and capable of surprising accuracy. My “dream” 22 is a Browning 22 Auto with a heavy barrel and no takedown feature with a heavy cantilever scope mount. No need for a forend.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
I have to admit that it has been several years since I last got to shoot a "box stock" Ruger 10/22. Thinking it might be near 10 years?

Anyway, that one worked fine. I know of three others that I have heard no complaints about (also at or near as issued).

I really can't recall anyone bi-itching much about that model.

Best I can offer from my experience.

Cheezywan

·
Inactive
2,046 Posts
I had a 10/22 and I believe it as reliable as a semi-auto can be - both design of rifle and the design of the rotary magazine. I have also had great reliability from my cheap as dirt Marlin 795's - paid around $120.00 for each of them and they just work. There is now a stainless version of the 795 and that is what I would get or if I had a little more $$$ I would get a stainless 10/22. What I really want right now is a Henry lever action .22 mag or .22 lr.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,098 Posts
I don't think my 10/22 has ever jammed or failed to cycle, except with CB longs. And to say it rarely gets cleaned would be an understatement.

Enjoy!

·
Banned
571 Posts
If you want an auto and choose a Ruger 10-22, there should be no thoughts about reliability. If the action ever fails to eject, fire or cycle it's usually the ammo's fault. Of course, you will have that issue settled first thing because all rimfires are especially finicky, and auto's that much moreso.

I love my 10-22. Didnt care for the groups it shot when I first bought this carbine (with barrel band, the classic). First thing to go was the barrel and stock. Ta-da, brand new rifle again. Same reliable action but now with pinpoint sniper accuracy.

Great rifles, no doubts.

·
Banned
604 Posts
I have six of 'em. All set up different. I also own a Winchester 62A and some Marlin 60's. The Ruger 10/22's are my first choice, whether going after targets or squirrel. My brothers have 'em too ... I know because I built them and gave 'em to them. All have the triggers worked over and all have an Exact Edge Extractor. Lots of other goodies on 'em too, but those two are the most important. I even have a Wally World Stainless 10/22 and it's my most accurate. Also have one of the original Magnum versions. It's my favorite squirrel rifle. Yep, the guys are right ... you can't go wrong with the 10/22.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'll b-itch about the 10-22. Read all the hype and bought one and am displeased. Some ammo it doesn't shoot well, miss fires, jams. Not accurate at all with any ammo. Some can blame the ammo. I'd prefer having one that'll shoot even the worst ammo. "Well you can buy this and that for it..blah blah blah."
I judge a rifle on taking it out of the box, putting a scope on it and shooting all ammo at some level of accuracy.

·
Banned
421 Posts
My vote would be for a Marlin 60. There is a reason why it's the best selling 22 auto of all time, at over 6 million, beating out the 10/22 by a mile. I like them both, and they both function fine, but I find the Marlin to be much more consistently accurate. JMO. And strangely enough, I own two Rugers right now, but no Marlin 60!

·
Registered
24 Posts
i've owened a ruger 10/22 for about 10 yrs, in ss with plastic stock, great gun and accuracy is very good with stock barrel,you can also put a ton of money into it if you want. i also have one of the new s&w 15-22, it is also very accurat and a lot of fun to shoot

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've got a 10-22 and shoot it quite a bit. Last year I think just over the 2000 round mark. Perhaps I'm not as fortunate as some others but mine would jam regularly if I failed to clean after every 100 rounds or so. Not just mine, my shooting buddy also has the same problem. It does happen more frequently with cheap ammo. Having said that it's one of the "funnest" guns to shoot, notice the volume of fun. Cleaning was only a slightly damp cleaning cloth with a small amount of solvent so not much time lost in doing that. Still without that bit of cleaning the jamming would only get worse. Laminated thumghole stock and bull barrel (aftermarket) make for a REALLY good looking fun gun.

·
Banned
571 Posts
I'll b-itch about the 10-22. Read all the hype and bought one and am displeased. Some ammo it doesn't shoot well, miss fires, jams. Not accurate at all with any ammo. Some can blame the ammo. I'd prefer having one that'll shoot even the worst ammo. "Well you can buy this and that for it..blah blah blah."
I judge a rifle on taking it out of the box, putting a scope on it and shooting all ammo at some level of accuracy.
My carbine shot groups of 1.5" at 25yds. To me that was unacceptable. I'll not ever brag how accurate my carbine was when new. However, with the heavy and stock that was a different story altogether. It now shoots cloverleaf groups at 50yds with the proper ammo. No feed probs (that can sometimes develop with magazine tension probs), no extract probs, no jams.

Do you still have the rifle?

·
Registered
263 Posts
The 10-22 is probably the best of the autoloading 22s because it can be upgraded by spending $xxx to get it to shooting like a out of the box bolt action. If you need or want the autoloading function then it is the way to go. Out of the box I would call mine adequate, and capable of being upgraded to good to excellent depending on the depth of your pockets.

In my experience better rifles can be had in the same price range but they are not high capacity auto loaders.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
marlin 60.. just use clean ammo so you don t wear out the action.
danged accurate too ..right out the box.
id advise shooting it like you would a bolt action ..unless you gotta need to spray money all over the place.
then if somebody is breaking into your house ..you got a fairly decent firefight rifle..
ranks right behind my pump shotgun ,in that role.. jmo slim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Paws255:

As was mentioned do consider a Marlin Mod 60 or a M795. Both great shooting rifles right out of the box and very reliable. Checking the used venue might offer an opportunity for a M995 or 995SS. You can't go wrong and you won't beat the price. I've owned or own all others and found the Marlin the most for the least. Just based on my personal experience.

Good shooting!

Range Finder

·
Registered
59 Posts
There's a lot of great semi 22s on the market.
Marlin has the whole micro-grove barrel going for them and it is accurate.
I love my 10/22 though, cant go wrong with the Ruger.
It can be left stock or tricked out like no other. There is a massive book devoted just to it. Accessory's are readily available, like my favorite 25 round magazines.

Hey Rangefinder, I like your sig...! Brush levers Rule!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.