Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up 1894 in 30 wcf with 26" octagonal and full mag.  bore looks like wire on a wooden ice cream churn bucket and headspace a little long.  been cold blued with oxpho long ago--not a lot of rubbing went on-all edges sharp-needs to be relined and barrel set back a thread and mag cut back to match.  redman's turned me down due to being backed up and didn't want to fool with setting back.  anybody have an id on a reputable person that could handle job around atlanta,ga?  in usa??

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
While I have, both rifles and handguns relined over the years, I wonder if this is the best course to take on the rifle. If the rifle was in excellent condition outside, I certainly would advise relining. However, if as you say, the rifle was over-polished and reblued...I would consider this option...Have the rifle rebored to .38-55 Win, a good smith or yourself go over the rifle and sharpen up the corners, and have the rifle remarked to .38-55.
Also.....check with Gun Parts in New York, as they still had some barrels for the old model 94's.
The 94 action is easy to resharpen the corners and if done roght will look original.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mr gates
    i appreciated your reply but, the arm is in excellent++ outside shape.  apparently someone used the shoeshine rag method with brownell's excellent oxpho cold blue.  there was no to little rubbing went on  and if much they used 4
0 steel wool.  this rifle could well be a candidate for a date with d. turnbull.  i'm hunting a shop with the known ability to do a quality re-line job.  mr redman turned me down due to the time required for headspacing and his being backed up(this speaks to his ability , having that much business and his integrity in turning down more).  i live close to atlantabut ,ups goes to the 48.  can you suggest a capable smith?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts