Shooters Forum banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
If anyone ever was to sell rimfire components and some kind of home seat and
crimp bullet tools I think they would sell millions.

Hoo boy....wonder how many million fingers and eyes....and maybe whole homes....would disappear?

I've not seen it on person, but have on video: after the case is drawn, a primer slurry is dropped and the case spun to force the slurry to the outside, i.e., the rim. Then the case is heated to dry the slurry. The case is next charged with powder, then the bullet inserted, crimped and packaged. All done on high-speed machines, of course, that make millions of cartridges per day.

It's the primer slurry that's problematic for home reloaders. Even if we had a machine that would spin the cartridge satisfactorily (maybe a drill chuck?), the slurry is extremly volatile, particularly as it dries into an unstable solid.

All of us have taken apart a rimfire cartridge (haven't we?:p. The powder grains seem much smaller than any reloading powder I've ever used, and is, no doubt, an extremely fast type. I suspect it's not available on the open market.

You could probably make your own primer slurry.....please don't tell me you're my neighbor! :eek:
I believe you have gone off on a "dead End spur" or Tangent to the basic Thread as posed by the OP in that the OP is looking for a RELOADABLE cartridge NEAR to the size power range of a .22 Long Rifle RF or .22 WMR cartridge. He has stated it may NOT be greater than .230" Caliber, although it is not stated whether this is a limit on the Bore or Groove diameter.

In the past there were Rimfire primed cases available for retail sale within the USA and Hand Loaders did add there own powder and bullets to these primed cases.

I presently have an old "Hollywood Gun Shop" (Hollywood Engineering) Threaded "H" design shell holder that is cut to fit .22 Rimfire case and rim Very Nicely. So I presume reloading tools Were available commercially
I have read of persons shooting Silhouette competitions with hand loaded Rimfires.
Have I done it myself? No.

I also think it would be Possible to make CF Cartridges in .22 RF sizes or some of the older .22 RF case sizes that were produced prior to WW2.

Careful machining could produce a .22 CF case that would take a Small size primer (power to be determined) to take a nominal .224 diameter bullet and a powder charge to send it down range somewhere between Subsonic and supersonic velocity without pushing chamber pressures over the present SAMMI .22 RF pressure limits.

It has been done in the past.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
No I was not thinking about re-priming rimfire shells, heck, I'd say a primed
rimfire case probably costs very close to a centerfire primer to make so I
was just thinking about the rimfire cases as disposable consumables. I guess that takes
the "reloadable" term out of it.... so maybe just call it roll your own rimfires...
not sure what the benefit would be ... other than custom performance
but no way it could be cheaper by rolling your own I dont think.
I just think it would be cool to be able to select from many types sizes
and shapes of bullets with different qty and types of powders etc.
I agree that it would be desirable for Commercial Ammunition Manufacturers to again make primed Extra Long Rimfire primed cases available for hand loaders in several sizes such as .22", .25",.27", .32" and other older RF calibers.

The .22", .25", and .27" could be based upon presently made Powder Tool Load cases only left at about 1.00" to 1.125" basic case length. They could be trimmed shorter if desired by the hand loader before charging the primed cases. I have read reports that the .17 Winchester Super Magnum case can be successfully reworked to a primed case with a length of .98" with relative ease. The report stated that they are then charged and loaded with a .250" to .251" diameter 50gr bullet for use in a rifle chambered for .25 Stevens Long RF. The reporter stated the initial loads are giving good accuracy and muzzle velocity of around 875fps to 975fps and he will be working up the loads to higher velocities and then trying heavier bullets in his load developments for his rifle.

I am watching his reports with Interest, I also have some rifles barrels chambered in .25 Stevens Long.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have replied to this post some place a while back, not sure if I should do a new post or redo a post. A reply post here. won out.

I have been reloading reduced loads for a 22 hornet, 220 swift and a 22 -250 with SR4759. Have ran out was informed by my local GSRS they no longer are able to get SR4759 been discontinued.
Now I am looking for published loads similar to the Speer # 11 manual for another powder to get to the 1600 to 2000 FPS loads.
Any one have an Idea of where to find PUBLISHED Loads?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Some of the old British "Velo-Dog" cases should be acceptable, as they are center-fire---If you can find them! Maybe some of the good folks over there could enlighten us as to availability!?? If I remember correctly, they came in 5MM (20 cal.), 6MM (24 cal.), and one a little larger. The 22 was skipped over, I believe.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
alleyyooper

I have replied to this post some place a while back, not sure if I should do a new post or redo a post. A reply post here. won out.

I have been reloading reduced loads for a 22 hornet, 220 swift and a 22 -250 with SR4759. Have ran out was informed by my local GSRS they no longer are able to get SR4759 been discontinued.
Now I am looking for published loads similar to the Speer # 11 manual for another powder to get to the 1600 to 2000 FPS loads.

AY, if you are in agreement to bring the velocity down by going to a heavier bullet let me as an example give you a published load with local powder and maybe you may wish to experiment around that with a filler. Its equivalents in the US are IMR 4227 and W296.

Somchem S265, a slow burning extruded single base propellant for the .357 and .44 magnums works very well.

In the .22 Hornet: Published 9.2 gr of S265 pushes a 50gr bullet at 2,250 ft/sec. It is the best starting point I can give.

·
Registered
130 Posts
RCBS Cast Bullet Manual #1 has loads for 22-250 and 220 Swift. NECO made fire lapping loads for all three of the rounds alleyyooper referenced in both cast and jacketed, but they are probably closer to 1,000fps. I would have to find the little booklet.

I believe there is a restriction on posting copyrighted material here (I was thinking copying the pages would be the easiest way to give all loads). Would you like them PM'd?

·
Registered
991 Posts
An off shoot of the OP. I saw some felllers shooting .22 rifles using .22 pellets and stud gun blanks...

I have shot a lot of .223s with 40 gr. cast bullets with WC820 and Unique. A bit over, but pretty darn near .22 lr stats...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, I realize we've deviated from the OP. The 221 Fireball downloaded might be a good choice for the OP also depending on the firearm, etc.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
"closest to the 22 lr"

FOR ME, NO not so much. I can re-load 223's faster/cheaper/more accurate in rifles & 38 special cast in handguns. I walked by some CCI LR'S & MAGNUMS at the gun show cuz I can reload most anything for less than the 36 cent a round for the CCI 22 mags, painful as it is being how much I enjoy shooting 22's. Downloading a superior performing round to lower standards so it approximates a lesser one doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. A high end pellet gun might be in the future???

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
An off shoot of the OP. I saw some felllers shooting .22 rifles using .22 pellets and stud gun blanks...

I have shot a lot of .223s with 40 gr. cast bullets with WC820 and Unique. A bit over, but pretty darn near .22 lr stats...
From what I have Read on this, it seems the typical "pellet" of thin lead Wasp waist design works with Grade 1 and possibly Grade 2 PTL blanks but any higher grade and they start loosing their 'Skirt' shape and loose performance.

there ARE some Lead Bullets that could be single loaded into "Pellet" rifles or Pistols but those arms do not lend themselves to firing PTL blanks.

.22RF rifles and Pistols Do Work with PTL blanks, by Personal Experience.
But it still comes down to economics as the PTL blanks seem to run between $5 and $17 per hundred.
Bullets depend on the source.
There is the possibility of 'vented rim' failures of upper grades of PTL used with some bullets.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
Someone was asking about turning cartridge cases from bar stock not long ago.
A nifty invention would be a (CNC turned) near solid 22 Hornet cases with about 22 WRM capacity that used a finger pressed-in 22 caliber pellet for a bullet.

Reactions: chevwilliam

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Going back to the title of the topic, I sold all my 22 rimfires 8 years ago when the ammo went away, and turned my attention to my Marlin 1894CL chambered in 218 Bee. I had a lot of use for a 22 out here as I have all kinds of critters stealing pecans and trying to get under or on top of my house but I just wasn't going to go through the agony of finding rimfire ammo. It ended up being a good decision as in my small town 22s of any sort are impossible to find.

I use a cast bullet I designed for both the Bee & Hornet with a full case of Trail Boss (4.5-grains) and it is a very effective critter getter. I shot a mix of armadillos, opossums, & raccoons this week alone, 10 in all. The 50 grain FP leaves the barrel at 1450 FPS and drops the critters like a rock.

My reloading software takes inventory costs into consideration and it says it is 11¢/cartridge. Definately a lot more fun than wandering around looking for ammo.

I've used the Bee at its traditional velocities but I've settled on this setup for yard work as I have the same rifle chambered in 25-20 & 32-20 Win that I use for coyote & bobcat shooting. The latter is not too bad on hogs.

Based on my experience and if I didn't have the Bee, I would buy a Hornet before I bought any 22RF.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
alleyyooper

AY, if you are in agreement to bring the velocity down by going to a heavier bullet let me as an example give you a published load with local powder and maybe you may wish to experiment around that with a filler. Its equivalents in the US are IMR 4227 and W296.

Somchem S265, a slow burning extruded single base propellant for the .357 and .44 magnums works very well.

In the .22 Hornet: Published 9.2 gr of S265 pushes a 50gr bullet at 2,250 ft/sec. It is the best starting point I can give.
MM,

IMR4227 and W296 are not the same powder. Pushing a 50gr bullet to 2,250fps is way more than a 22LR, which is what the OP is trying to emulate.

Loading down with W296 (also H110) is NOT a good idea.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
.25 ACP for some guns

CD

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Someone was asking about turning cartridge cases from bar stock not long ago.
A nifty invention would be a (CNC turned) near solid 22 Hornet cases with about 22 WRM capacity that used a finger pressed-in 22 caliber pellet for a bullet.
A hornet can be loaded with 4.0 grains of unique, topped of with super grex and a cast bullet, great squirrel load. More recently I've being experimenting with IMR4759 in my K-Hornet, have not had as good a results with it....yet.

On the pellet idea Jack, I partially sized the necks of 17 Remington cases and used just the primer to propel .177 caliber pellets in a 700 Remington back in the 80's, it was ok for shooting in the basement.
I used the same rifle to hunt squirrels using 4.5 grains of unique with a 25 grain Hornady bullet, to the best of my knowledge I'm the only one that's ever done that, never seen or read about anyone else doing it. Super quiet and very accurate, the same load could probably be used for any small 22 centerfire.
People get all worked up over the thought of sticking a bullet in the barrel, if a bullet does not come out it's obvious, the shot sounds very different, should you decide to try these loads you will need a one piece stainless steel rod, and flat end tip for the rod and spray lube such as WD-40. 17 and 22 caliber bullets usually push out very easily, most but no all stick just a couple of inch's ahead of the chamber, it's easier to push them back than all the way through, just be careful not to damage the crown.
If the temps dip down in the 20's or colder I do not recommend using these light loads, poor ignition and inconsistency make them problematic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reloadable 22 Flea duplicates 22 LR and 22 WRF

About 40 years ago, I was interested in .32 ACP pistols which were cheap and easy to get by mail order (good old days!). Such classics as the Browning 1910 and 1922 were going for about $35. Just out of curiosity, I wanted to find out if one of these pistols would function reliably if I necked a .32 ACP down to .224 caliber.

So, I turned a section of .224 rifle barrel to make a new barrel for one of the 1922 Brownings, roughly calculated the recoil momentum with a 40 grain bullet at 1400 fps (which was pretty much a guess) and added a longer slide extension. The 1922 Browning is essentially a 1910 version with a longer barrel and longer grip. The extension is attached by a sort of bayoonet snap to the slide, around the barrel at the front end. It was simple enough to turn a round cylinder to the size of the original shorter extension, and then mill and file the bayonet snap slots, make a little latch and find a small spring for it.

The gun looked like it had a silencer, but the extra length was just slide weight, to counter the increase in potential recoil over a .32 ACP round. Potential recoil... I was still guessing a lot.

Bottom line is that it worked fine. The necked down .32 ACP case fed fine with the original Browning magazine. The action functioned reliably. The velocity could be anything from about 1000 fps up to around 1500 fps, but the hotter loads expanded the metal around the primer pocket enough that the primer would fall out (no gas leakage, though). I made jacketed 37 grain round nosed bullets to get slightly more velocity than the 40 gain ones. The jackets were made of fired 22 LR cases drawn to 22 and trimmed shorter.

Pacific Tool and Gauge, which is my neighbor in White City, makes chamber reamers for the 22 Flea on special order. I originally had RCBS make my reloading dies, so they may still have specs on file. The Browning was long ago sold and forgotten about, and so was a single shot Remington Rolling block that was subject of another magazine article back in the 1970s. It was able to get close to 22 Magnum velocities, but again the .32 case doesn't have much metal around the primer pocket and it would result in loose primers. Loading it down a little solved that. So it was a reloadable slightly hotter than usual .22 LR (maybe a "Stinger"?). Hardly used any powder, most expensive part is the primer and bullet, but the bullets can be made almost for nothing with fired .22 LR case jackets.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Interesting wildcat, drcorbin. Welcome to the forum.

CD

81 - 100 of 129 Posts