Shooters Forum banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
!. There Was a Person, in the San Diego Area of California, that made and sold .22CCM case made from .22 Hornet brass.

2. As to Wildcats:
- 2A. The .22 Corbin Flea, made from a Necked down .32ACP case.
Originally developed by Dave Corbin, I believe in the 1970s, it is not yet listed in 'Ammoguide Interactive' (AI) as Dave is searching for his original notes on it for the write-up.
Pacific Tool And Gauge lists a Chamber reamer for this Cartridge.
AI now lists the .22 Flea as Number 1020 in their Listings.

- 2B. The .22 Epperson Cricket/.22 Pokey made from a Necked down .25ACP case.
This cartridge is listed in "Ammoguide Interactive" as their #162, complete with a Write-up and a case diagram.

- 2C. The .224 Boz developed from 10mm Pistol cartridge necked down take .224 Bullets.
This Cartridge is listed in 'Ammoguide Interactive' as their Cartridge #130, complete with a write-up and case diagram.

It is noted that this cartridge originally was developed by the British as a Military only cartridge.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Ammoguide Interactive now lists the .22 Flea as their cartridge number 1020 and i have updated my previous post (#101) by including copied case drawings for each entry.
Chev. William

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
I knew this thread would get more traction with the recent new thread on basically the same topic.

Without going back through 6 pages of thread...has anyone necked the 9mm case down even further than 30 Luger, to create a small centerfire 22 round? Is that the 22 TCM?

ETA: The 22 TCM has a body size that is very similar to the 9mm, but then has the shoulder and neck added onto that, giving it a much longer OAL. The resulting cartridge creates a lot more velocity than a 22 LR or even WMR.

I'm thinking necking down the 10mm to 22, as depicted above, and then selecting the right minimal powder charge could get you into the 1,200 - 1,400fps range, with a 40gr bullet.

Reactions: chevwilliam

·
Registered
19 Posts
5mm Craig

For simplicity I agree down loading something using Hornet brass to be the best option.
Similarly for Fireball cases, FN 5.7x28 and maybe 218 Bee.

If going with a wildcat I believe 5mm Craig is the cartridge you seek.
A centrefire/reloadable version of 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum.

5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Looks like the Hornet is still a good bet. Too bad the .22 Jet went away, made for the S&W revolver long ago. I remember it was made from a .357 case and would be a nice rifle round for tree rats. It had a sticky case problem and they needed lubed.
But my question is "why not a .22 LR", still one of the best up to fox.
I have a .22 MR and the LR is better, the magnum depends too much on the bullet, either a pass through or a blow up. Once you get so much, there is little squirrel left.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Additional Candidates recently coming into Consideration are:
5,5mm Velodog made from either .22 Hornet or 5,7x28mm parents.
.22 Ladybug Repeater made from .25ACP, .22 Hornet, or 5,7x28mm parents.
.22 Ladybug made from .25ACP or .22 Hornet parents.
.221 Ackins made from 5,5mm Velodog, .25ACP, .22 Hornet, or 5,7x28mm parents.

Then there are the two 'orphaned' .22 RF cartridges: the .22 Winchester Auto. and the .22 Remington Auto. that are NOT interchangeable with any other Rf cartridges but now can be formed as CF cases from the usual parents.

Chev. William

·
Registered
96 Posts
WHAT ABOUT A .222 REM. Smaller case than a 223 but a faster round

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
WHAT ABOUT A .222 REM. Smaller case than a 223 but a faster round
That is still WAY more than a 22LR round, which is what the thread was asking about.

Lots of ways to get there, but it's likely that few are better than simply loading a mild charge in a 22 Hornet case. I have wondered what a 22 Hornet case full of Trailboss over a 40gr bullet would look like.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That is still WAY more than a 22LR round, which is what the thread was asking about.

Oh. The OP said hunting in PA and cant use anything larger than a .23 cal Why not re-load a 22lr? The same basic loaing you just need to get Nitroglycerin, lead styphnate, antimony sulfide, barium nitrate. Might be more trouble than its worth. I'. sure you probably need a special permit for a couple of those chemicals.

Reactions: broom_jm

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I believe you have gone off on a "dead End spur" or Tangent to the basic Thread as posed by the OP in that the OP is looking for a RELOADABLE cartridge NEAR to the size power range of a .22 Long Rifle RF or .22 WMR cartridge. He has stated it may NOT be greater than .230" Caliber, although it is not stated whether this is a limit on the Bore or Groove diameter.

In the past there were Rimfire primed cases available for retail sale within the USA and Hand Loaders did add there own powder and bullets to these primed cases.

I presently have an old "Hollywood Gun Shop" (Hollywood Engineering) Threaded "H" design shell holder that is cut to fit .22 Rimfire case and rim Very Nicely. So I presume reloading tools Were available commercially
I have read of persons shooting Silhouette competitions with hand loaded Rimfires.
Have I done it myself? No.

I also think it would be Possible to make CF Cartridges in .22 RF sizes or some of the older .22 RF case sizes that were produced prior to WW2.

Careful machining could produce a .22 CF case that would take a Small size primer (power to be determined) to take a nominal .224 diameter bullet and a powder charge to send it down range somewhere between Subsonic and supersonic velocity without pushing chamber pressures over the present SAMMI .22 RF pressure limits.

It has been done in the past.

Best Regards,
Chev. William
I didn't cast bullet's? read all of this so maybe missed it. How about something like either a 218 Bee or a K-Hornet either with cast bullet's? I seldom use my 22 rimfire any more but use my 22 mag RF a bit. have thought for a long time I could easily match it with a Bee or a Hornet. Then thought the K-Hornet to get a better shoulder on the Hornet case. Probably won't do it as I don hunt small game a lot and don't even own a 22 CF anymore.

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Reading along I was reminded of that caseless ammunition/firearm that Daisy came up with awhile ago now. That, in turn, made me think of building a muzzleloader of 22 caliber. Caliber is right. Speed is right. Is reloadable. Is NOT a cartridge firing arm though. Just the cap with no powder might get close?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
So far it seems the closest cartridges to the OP's desires are two Wildcats; the .22Ladybug-Repeater and the .221 Atkins.
  • Both may be formed from .25ACP cases by swaging the body diameter down.
  • Both are Center Fire by design and therefore reloadable also by design.
  • Both similar in size and performance to a .22LR cartridge.
Chev. William

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
297-230 morris duplicates 22lr .
Came out in francotie cadet rifles.
(Martini cadet variation)
Cases can be made from hornet cases.
Cheers.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've loaded up .223 cases using 40gr Hornet bullets and Blue Dot, for a 1200fps load. They aren't as accurate as I would have liked, but they mimic bulk .22 ammo for the most part. If you're going for a factory .22lr velocity, you really don't have much room to work to tailor the load. So, your rifle either shoots it good enough to suit your purpose or it don't.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I made some center fire 22LR cartridges from 25 ACP brass. It was during the great 22 shortage and I have a TC Contender in 22 LR so I made the cases and fired them in the contender.
It took making 2 forming dies and a full length sizing die, decapping pin, primer seating pin and I bought a mould for healed bullets that I designed that weight 42 grains cast from pure lead. I made a case crimper and case belling tool to complete the reloading tools. I had to cut the rim to specs on the lathe and then carefully trim the case to .225" up from the rim to thin the wall so it could be swaged down. I cut a small relief just above the trimmed rim for clearance to the chamber. I mickey moused a scale attachment to accurately measure .5 to 1.5 grains of powder using a 15 inch tube in place of the scale pan so I could use the scale at 5 grains to equal .5 grains on the beam.
The modified case would hold over 1 grain of HP38 so I started at .5 and worked up to 1 grain where I reached 1150 fps from my 10" Contender barrel. They were accurate compared to rim fire cases from the same gun and very close in velocity.

This was nothing more than an exercise in futility because while you could call them a 22LR they were still center fire cartridges. They were reloadable but casting pure lead 22 caliber bullets was work. It was rewarding to find it could be done but not really practical.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I've loaded up .223 cases using 40gr Hornet bullets and Blue Dot, for a 1200fps load. They aren't as accurate as I would have liked, but they mimic bulk .22 ammo for the most part. If you're going for a factory .22lr velocity, you really don't have much room to work to tailor the load. So, your rifle either shoots it good enough to suit your purpose or it don't.
For light loads or loads that more or less duplicate .22 Rim Fires; I use my .22 Hornet rifle. Using 7.0 grains of SR-4759 and a High velocity 50 grain bullet loaded-up into Remington Hornet brass; this load is accurate and a fine non-destructive load to use on Squirrels. Also, one can use regular "Hornet" bullets of 40 - 45 grain with 4.0 - 4.5 grains of Unique with I've also found accurate and non-destructive. I used both loads when I lived in Indiana, however: Center Fire ammunition is prohibited for use on Squirrels here in Kentucky.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I made some center fire 22LR cartridges from 25 ACP brass. It was during the great 22 shortage and I have a TC Contender in 22 LR so I made the cases and fired them in the contender.
It took making 2 forming dies and a full length sizing die, decapping pin, primer seating pin and I bought a mould for healed bullets that I designed that weight 42 grains cast from pure lead. I made a case crimper and case belling tool to complete the reloading tools. I had to cut the rim to specs on the lathe and then carefully trim the case to .225" up from the rim to thin the wall so it could be swaged down. I cut a small relief just above the trimmed rim for clearance to the chamber. I mickey moused a scale attachment to accurately measure .5 to 1.5 grains of powder using a 15 inch tube in place of the scale pan so I could use the scale at 5 grains to equal .5 grains on the beam.
The modified case would hold over 1 grain of HP38 so I started at .5 and worked up to 1 grain where I reached 1150 fps from my 10" Contender barrel. They were accurate compared to rim fire cases from the same gun and very close in velocity.

This was nothing more than an exercise in futility because while you could call them a 22LR they were still center fire cartridges. They were reloadable but casting pure lead 22 caliber bullets was work. It was rewarding to find it could be done but not really practical.
What did you do about the of centre firing pin ,did you make a new barrel?

cheers.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts