Shooters Forum banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I didn’t no TC contenders did , that’s pretty cool .
Going to have a google about that.

cheers.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I had a google , due to our hand gun laws they are not around like they are for you guys , if they were I would be using one.
Great set up.
Wicki said they have always had the dual firing pin.
The right size barrel would be really good for shooting out of the Ute like we do especially for the driver.
Frankly I find not being able to Cary a handgun a pain in the but.

cheers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
For light loads or loads that more or less duplicate .22 Rim Fires; I use my .22 Hornet rifle. Using 7.0 grains of SR-4759 and a High velocity 50 grain bullet loaded-up into Remington Hornet brass; this load is accurate and a fine non-destructive load to use on Squirrels. Also, one can use regular "Hornet" bullets of 40 - 45 grain with 4.0 - 4.5 grains of Unique with I've also found accurate and non-destructive. I used both loads when I lived in Indiana, however: Center Fire ammunition is prohibited for use on Squirrels here in Kentucky.
I've had it in my head for some time that I want a Hornet. I think it might be easier to work with on a wide range of velocities after reviewing various load data sources. My problem is Hornets tend to be a bit scarce and expensive up here. Although I'm really leaning toward the single-shot route such as H&R or TC.

BTW, have you ever chronoed those loads to see how close you were to .22lr velocities?

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I've had it in my head for some time that I want a Hornet. I think it might be easier to work with on a wide range of velocities after reviewing various load data sources. My problem is Hornets tend to be a bit scarce and expensive up here. Although I'm really leaning toward the single-shot route such as H&R or TC.

BTW, have you ever chronoed those loads to see how close you were to .22lr velocities?
Yes, I have checked the velocity of my reduced .22 Hornet loads:
1. 7.0 grains of SR-4759 + 50 grain bullet = 1,500 FPS
2. 4.0 - 4.5 grains of Unique + 45 grain bullet = 1,400 FPS

·
Registered
269 Posts
Stevlyn, I understand Hornet rifles were very popular with the Alaska indigenous peoples until supplanted by .223 Rem. You might be able to find a Hornet rifle or two tucked away in the bush.

In any case, I load Hornady's 35 gr. V-Max in my Hornet. I load it up to smokin' velocities. This thread makes me think I should try loading it way, way down.

·
Premium Member
14,570 Posts
The answer is found in Ken Howell's book (book review in books forum). He list the 22 Flea as the smallest centerfire. To give a sense of scale, a 22 Hornet case from solid brass is 179 grains. The 22 Flea is 113 grains.
As a comparison, a .223 case would be 366 grains if solid brass.
He says form Flea case from 32 Auto brass in an RCBS form die.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I guess Mr. Howell had not heard of the .221 Atkins, a wildcat center fire that is straight walled and was used to win the 1935 NRA Pistol championship by Col. Atkins in a custom converted Woodsman pistol.

Chev. William

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I loaded some mild 223s.
Ill go upstairs and check the load.
Red Dot 5 gr-Rem PSP 45 gr bullet-will do just under 1/2" in my Ruger 77-bolt or
red Dot 6 gr --Sikerra 40 gr HP coal-2.185 for about 1700 fps in same gun.

·
Premium Member
14,570 Posts
You know a wildcatter is serious when he has to make tools to keep the primer pocket the right size!
That is a natural for a Contender 22LR barrel and I have one. All it takes to chamber is a 1/4" chucking reamer and a rim recess tool which is made in 30 seconds.
I'd be tempted to make lead bullet swaging dies and cast 'wire' instead of bullets.

Reactions: chevwilliam

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
You know a wildcatter is serious when he has to make tools to keep the primer pocket the right size!
That is a natural for a Contender 22LR barrel and I have one. All it takes to chamber is a 1/4" chucking reamer and a rim recess tool which is made in 30 seconds.
I'd be tempted to make lead bullet swaging dies and cast 'wire' instead of bullets.
RE: Primer pocket support in swaging cases.
An alternative is the RCBS "Primer pocket swaging kit" intended for swaging the crimp out of military brass. I found that a 3/16" ID Fender washer on top of the 'stripper cup' was sufficient spacer to keep th eprimer pocket depth right while supporting its diameter on the punch while driving the case into my swage dies using a RCBS "RC" reloading press.
I use a long pin punch (modified) to knock the swaged cases back out of the dies.

Chev. William

·
Registered
478 Posts
Can't believe this went thru 136 post & not a single mention ( at least that I noticed) about the 22 Squirrel. Cute little wildcat based on the Hornet case. Easily loaded to 22 LR velocities with quality 40 grain CF bullets.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts