Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with loading this combo? Does it work best with 168 gr. on up? or is it better suited to 150's?
Right now the powders at my command include Varget, BLC-2, 748, Benchmark, IMR 4350, 4320, 4895, and RE-15.
Looking for something for two specific load developments.
1. Sierra 110gr.hp(varmints).
2. Nosler 168gr. E-Tip(Elk,Deer,Black Bear,Cougar).
I use Winchester Cases and Federal 210m Primers. Shooting a Remington 700 sps. I always use Newberry OCW for new load development.
What's the word on RE-15?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have used reloader 15 with 165 190 gr.with good results in the past when I had a 308 W rifle .
You need to see What your rifle likes !

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
For 110 grain bullets in the 307 and the 308 Winchester you will be hard pressed to beat the results given by Hodgdon 4895 - or IMR for that matter.
51.0 grains will give you 3,100 fps and this is an accurate load in my bolt rifle.
A little better accuracy may come with 45.8 graiins at 2,900 fps.

49.5 grains of bLc2 works very well for me and it is a 3,100 fps load for me.
Some rifles wil give a little better accuracy with a maximum load of 50.9 grains of BLc2 for 3,200 fps.

I prefer either Varget or Reloder 15 for the heavier than 150-grain bullets. I find my best accuracy with Varget and highest velocity using Reloder 15. The difference is not much but I believe you can see the difference in a variety of rifles.

Using conventional 168-grain bullets don’t overlook the “time tested” load of 42.0 grains of Hodgdon Benchmark which will nudge the 2,600 fps mark.

For 165-grain conventional bullets I prefer the compressed load of 47.0 grains of Reloder 15, this load coming close to 2.800 fps.

I have not shot the the E-tip bullet in my 308 as I hunt no animals which require a premium bullet.
While my answer probably will not help you much overall I know you will not regret using Hodgdon Varget or Alliant Reloder 15 in the 308. My little Savage likes it fine.

·
Super Moderator
13,631 Posts
I'm in agreement with Slim, but will add that Reloader 15 is what Lake City is currently loading under the 175 grain Sierra MatchKing in M118LR sniper ammunition. It is also what Federal is currently loading under both that 175 gr. SMK and the 168 grain SMK in their Gold Medal Match ammunition, which I have second hand, so I don't know the charges. Prior to that they ran 43.5 grains of IMR 4064 under the 168 grain MatchKing.

Even though their weights are the same, you can't carry 168 grain SMK loads over to the 168 grain E-tip directly, because the E-tip is longer and eats up about 4 grains of case water capacity. That puts powder charges about 5% lower to get similar pressures in QuickLOAD, depending what you start with.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the terrific responses! I spent the day working both above mentioned bullets with Reloader 15 and am pleased with the results. This was the first load development since working on this Remington rifle. I free floated and accraglass bedded the SPS, after safely reducing the trigger to a field release of around 3lbs. No creep or after travel. While it's no benchrest rifle, at least I can manage to get clean, consistent shots off.
I found a couple charge weights that need seating depth tweaking, but look promising.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Personally, I've had very spotty results with Rel-15. It shoots wel with the 165 Sierra HPGK and the 170gr Speer FN, but that is about it.

IMR4320, 3031, 4895, and 4064 are much better powders in the 308 if bullet weights top out at 165grs. I've never used Varget because the listed powders have always provided tiny groups and good velocities.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I agree IMR or Hodgdon 4895 could be considered an all around powder for the 307 and 308 Winchesters. When I was younger I used 4895 to the exclusion of all other powder in the 308.
I grew to preffer IMR 4064 as I lean toward 165- and 170-grain bullets in the 308 and the 307. IMR 4064 will not deliever maximum velocity but it does give good accuracy.
I found IMR 3031 to be just on the fast side for the heavier bullets on hot days. With 150-grain bullets and lighter I was very happy with IMR 3031.

I use IMR 4320 in the .25 caliber cartridges but have never been satisfied with it in the .30’s. I’ll have to try it in my Savage and if it likes it.

Hodgdon Varget has delivered excelled accuracy for me with both cast and jacketed bullets. When Varget came into regular use I watched the natch results in the Fouling Shot and Varget delivered small groups and high scores.
Alliant Reloder 15 does not appear to give me quite as small groups using full power hunting loads as Varget but I do not have a rifle capable of “gilt edge” accuracy to prove it.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Right now the powders at my command include Varget, BLC-2, 748, Benchmark, IMR 4350, 4320, 4895, and RE-15.
It's almost certain that you have it covered with that selection.

Back in the early 70's a lot of guys used the .308 for bench competition. Most of them used BL-C2 or one of the 4895's. At the time I had a pair of M700V's, one in .308 that I shot at club level competition. With BL-C2 and Sierra 168gr bullets, it would turn in < 1" groups at 300yds if I got the wind right. I never won a match with it, but guys shooting identical rigs often did.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've shot a ton of RE 15 through my 308W. It is an accurate fast powder. I use the same load as Slim - 47 grains under a 165 grain bullet which is a slightly compressed load. This usually clocks around 2800 - 2825 fps. Recently I started using 8208 XBR. The published loads give a medium range velocity but 45 grains under a 165 grain bullet will keep up with the RE 15 load and is not heat sensitive. Accuracy is a little better than the RE 15.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got back inside from shooting and am more impressed with RE 15. With 49.2gr. under Sierra's 110gr, JHP seated to 2.630, one tight ragged hole began to appear @ 100yds. The recoil feels different than my Varget loads. Much less sharp. Anyone else have similar results concerning recoil, or am I just full of hops?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Gents,

It is actually my default "go to" powder for the 308. I tend to stick with heavier bullets, just about for everything, and have used it up to 200 grains. Does well with all bullet weights and ranges.

I think the burn rate is real close to varget, so the recoil perspective is curious. I've heard great things about Varget, but never used it, figure I don't need to becasus I have Re15.

Best to you fellows.

Steve

·
Registered
45 Posts
I found a RE-15 load that will shoot sub MOA(.5"-.75") in my .308 Win. L/R. 168 Hornady A-MAX, 43.5 RE-15 in a Winchester case, Wolf LRP @ 2.800" (I have a PALMA chamber, .010" off of the lands).

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Just got back inside from shooting and am more impressed with RE 15. With 49.2gr. under Sierra's 110gr, JHP seated to 2.630, one tight ragged hole began to appear @ 100yds. The recoil feels different than my Varget loads. Much less sharp. Anyone else have similar results concerning recoil, or am I just full of hops?
The lack of recoil probably has to do with the extremely low speeds. I doubt Rel-15 is a prefered powder for such a light bullet in the 308. I've never heard of anyone using it with bullets that light.

Generally speaking, the lighter the bullet used in any cartridge, the better results come from faster burning powders.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts