Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in SE Michigan and have been using the services of a master reloader, here, for 10 years. He's retiring this coming month and moving to FL. Do any of you from MI know of another good reloader? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Sounds like a good time to start rolling your own! :D

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Im with Matt, time to begin loading your own.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd love to reload but two things prevent. First, we have a storage of explosives ordnance and, second, I have no time.

I need help finding a reloader... not the suggestion that I do it myself. I have no viable option except factory loads.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
You are in a pickle JPF. even if you find someone, I doubt he or she will come anywhere near the pricing you enjoyed from your long time friend. I doubt they will beat the mail order ammo prices either, possibly not the walmart prices. I don't know anyone that is doing this, because of legal issues since the old codgers are retiring. All you old stubborn self reliant folks are going to be missed. Oh, yes they will be missed and the world will be a worse place without them.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'd love to reload but two things prevent. First, we have a storage of explosives ordnance and, second, I have no time.

I need help finding a reloader... not the suggestion that I do it myself. I have no viable option except factory loads.
Whose "storing explosives" ? None of us are, unless you're planning on using black powder. Smokeless powders are legally classified as propellants, and thus are not prohibited from being stored indoors under federal law. There's nothing dangerous about reloading, as long as you obey several simple rules.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts

With all due respect, I've heard both of these concerns from many guys who went on to not only reload their own ammo, but enjoy the process a great deal.

To the best of my knowledge there isn't a single municipality with an ordnance against smokeless powders or primers, the only "hazardous" materials used in reloading. There is nothing dangerous about the reloading process, if you are a reasonably intelligent and cautious person who is willing to spend a few hours familiarizing yourself with the basics.

Unless you're working 2 full-time jobs and raising a family, you have the time. If you ARE doing those things, when do you have time to shoot, anyway? ;) Also, if you need the money that bad to raise a family, it's unconscionable to pay a custom reloader the fees they normally charge. Far better to invest in the ability to reload your OWN ammo.

Also, custom reloaders are very hard to find because reloading is easy, which means very few people would ever pay a premium to have someone else do it when factory ammo is very good, these days. It's a niche that just doesn't need filling, so there are very few guys willing to go through the licensing headaches to be able to legally offer a reloading service.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I don't buy that storage of explosives ban, because I know lots of people in Michigan that reload, and there are a lot more things in your house that are way more explosive than gunpowder. One of them is piped right into your home in the form of natural gas and propane. Another is the gasoline you keep in your garage for a chainsaw, lawnmower, etc.

Time? We all collectively have none of it. I have a Dillon press set up just for .40 S&W, I can crank out 2000 rounds in about 8 hours. 20 minutes at the press will easily cover me for a shooting session. Besides, if your winters are anything like mine, and I highly suspect they are - thats a great time to get caught up on reloads.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
JPaul, I will not attempt to encourage you to reload your own or preach anything to you.... I'm a sailor and you are a Marine, it would'nt work!:D

Heck, I'd reload for you but for a couple of issues and the main one being cost to you. If you have to ship the ammo, it won't be worth it, I don't think. If you can buy loaded ammo in bulk you can beat the price of reloading, I think. Personally I find reloading relaxing and make time to do it.

As others said, the powder is not an explosive (smokeless) and I've had to deal with fire officials here regarding that. My best ally in this issue was the local EOD!:confused: They were very much on my side.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.:) Happy shoot'n!

O'C

·
Banned
103 Posts
it seems like he ought to be able to find someone that would load to what he s
learned to like if the fellow going to florida will leave him the formula he was using
for what ever he shoots.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts