Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to try reloading 222 Remington Mag. for a rifle that I just got ( Sako/Vixen). I have some shells and prowder as well as vey few 222 small rifle primers. Being the fact that primers are so hard to get my question is can you use small pistol primers in place of the small rifle. I did measure one of each and the measure the same. Just asking.

D.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,953 Posts
Pistol primers have softer cup material than rifle primers. The only centerfire case that folks sometimes use pistol primers is the .22 Hornet that I'm aware of. I don't. A forceful firing pin strike could pierce the soft primer cup.
It appears primers are coming back on the market, albeit at greater prices. If you look around at the various supply companies and perhaps your local sources, you may find some small rifle primers.

Reactions: Jack

·
Premium Member
15,744 Posts
I use nothing but small pistol primers in K-Hornets and have had good luck with them in Fireball but NOT good luck in .222. Better stick with rifle primers.
You want to trade off that Deuce Mag for a Deuce Rhimakkii?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,279 Posts
Primers are around, but you have to keep an eye open. I bought a brick of small rifle from Midway last week. They weren't cheap, but they were cheaper than replacing a dinged-up bolt that pierced primers ate.... so......

Small pistol primers are likely good to the 40,000-ish PSI range. Beyond that.... they may.... or may not.... keep all the powder gasses going out the muzzle. How much of a chance you take on that, is up to you.

·
Super Moderator
13,679 Posts
Yep! Got two tabs open at once and pasted into the wrong one! Thanks for the catch. I'll remove the post here.

Reactions: crooked creek

·
Registered
3 Posts
I shot the 222 Magnum for about a decade in a Remington 700. It's a sweet cartridge: a lot more flexible than the.223. SAAMI standards show small pistol and small rifle primers are about the same size. If you try using small pistol primers, start with the starting loads in your reloading manual.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Do not do this!
I will guarantee that a pistol primer will pierce in a 222 Mag.
I have the same rifles as you, L461’s in 222 & 222Mag, I run 748 in both and use Fed 205 Magnum or 205 Match primers.
I only use Nosler 50g SHOTS in both for rabbits, hares and foxes here in Australia.
Any rifle small primer will work.

Cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts