Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you say no, please read all of the post.

I am reloading for a Ruger Blackhawk 10mm convertible with extra 40 S&W cyclinder: two cyclinders, one 10mm and one 40 S&W cyclinder. The 40 S&W cyclinder has long throats. On the gun range, there is 40 S&W brass everywhere. So much brass, I don't bother to pick it up anymore, 10mm brass, not so much.

My question, if I keep the aol lenght of the 40 S&W cartridge the same as the aol of the 10mm cartridge, there should be the same amount of internal space for powder. The only difference would be the amount of bullet inside the 40 S&W brass. In theory, performance should be the same for both cartridges. I have loaded some dummy cartridges and they fit in the 40 S&W cyclinder just fine. I think there is plenty of bullet depth, but just to be safe, I am putting a hard crimp on the cartridge to off-set the lack of bullet depth in the brass. I am shooting cast 180 grain bullets at 1175 ft/sec in 10mm. I am hoping the get the same performance from the 40 S&W cartridge.

What do you think in terms of safety and performance.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The difference in case length is about 1/8" so I can see where you could have the same OAL.
Depending on powder type you may get incomplete ignition because the bullet will be leaving the case sooner.
Do you know for a fact that the 10mm and 40 caliber cylinders are made of the same material and heat treated to the same level then it is probably not going to blow up. As soon as the bullet leaves the case the pressures will drop and drop earlier than in the 10mm case. You may find yourself chasing performance and just throwing bits of burning powder out the cylinder gap. Keeping yourself clear of the gap shower, if it occurs is likely to limit your chance of injury but I don't want to be the guy next to you when you are shooting.

When you change components, loads or environment you are outside the norms and on your own. Protect yourself and don't endanger anyone else if you are determined to try it.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,581 Posts
No, absolutely not, don't do it!!!

RJ

Reactions: Darkker

·
Registered
40 Posts
I only ever have picked up two or three pieces of 10mm. I figure it's because the 10mm is not that prevalent, and those that shoot it pick up their brass, so I buy Starline. shooterPaul provided good insight into your question, Taylor. I would not do it, nor do I recommend doing it, but if you should decide to continue down that path, I suggest you start with light charges and work up slowly and methodically.

There's a wealth of 10mm goodness at 10mm-firearms forum.

·
Super Moderator
9,431 Posts
Not impossible, but it's pretty hard to screw up a Blackhawk.

I'd measure the volume to be sure it matched 10mm volume once loaded. MAy be enough brass wall./base thickness to not make that a sure thing just based on length alone.

But the idea is sound.....match the volume, should pretty well match the pressure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, it can be done. I've read about someone doing it over at the 10mm-firearms forum. The BH is a brute, indeed.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for you opinions. I found the answer at a local auction. I purchased 6 boxes of 10mm at $6.00 per box. I am 70 years old and I have arthritic hands and wrists. It is painful to shoot my 44 Redhawk. The 10mm load is a soft recoil load. I have never hunted with a 10mm. Everything I have read says the load is adequate for whitetail deer and hogs. I guess I will find out in October.

·
Super Moderator
9,431 Posts
Been a fan of this bore size/ballistics from my first taste of a buddy's old .401 Herters / 38-40 Win....which lead me down roads like the .41mag,.41AE,401WSL, etc.

10mm is pretty much a shorter, more efficient version....and gaining a bit of increase popularity as of late.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use to load up 38 spl brass with 357 mag loads and seat the bullet to match 357 OAL. Worked fine. That is about the same thing you are asking with the 40/10mm cases. should work fine. Wallacem in Ga

1 - 10 of 10 Posts