Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a case stuck in RCBS sizing die, die replaced by RCBS, tried again to size used case, very difficult even with high lubrication, base distorted. Tried using new case and same result, Using Dillon press. Any suggestions????

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Mine are fairly difficult to size for a straight-walled case. Are you using sizing lube, or something else? I have the best results with Rooster sizing lube on all my brass, but it's a bit sticky and doesn't clean up as easily as others. If you are on your second die and having problems still, I'm betting you are using ordinary oil or something for lube that doesn't belong in there.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,711 Posts
I'm using RCBS .500 S&W dies to resize my .500 JRH cases. The JRH is just a shortened .500 Smith so it should all work out the same.

Don't recall any issues in the least. Something is odd for sure. What are you using for lube? Carbide or steel dies? I think mine are carbide but don't know if steel dies are available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Die is carbide, using lube that is recommended by by RCBS, is seems to be an effective lube with other calibers. Where do you find this "Rooster Lube"?

·
36,711 Posts
Yeah my set is carbide too, just looked. But I don't use any lube.

I can't see how cases would stick. Can you measure the inside diameter of the carbide ring?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Rooster is available at MidwayUSA.com. Are your guns cylinders oversize? Can you try sizing someone elses fired brass in your die?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Is everything centered on the press? I've seen a press where the shell holder didn't quite snap clear in and was uncentered slightly. Can you try the dies in another press? No matter what, I'm curious to see how this turns out and what the problem is.

·
36,711 Posts
OK you definitely have a problem if unfired brass won't easily go through carbide sizing dies. Do you have a way to measure the inside diameter of the carbide sizing ring? If you have calipers the inside jaws on the back should work OK for this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts