Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!,

I'm planning on building a new loading bench and I was wondering if anyone knew of plans or kits available to purchase? My space will be limited ( 8x10 area ) so I can't have anything massive. Right now I make do with a Workmate with an insert to mount the press and trimmer on. Thanks in advance for any ideas! CEJ..

·
Registered
188 Posts
There are some good ideas here: http://www.handloads.com/forum/showthread.asp?topic=5&thread=443

Here is mine:
Frame is made from 2X6s. The legs 4X4 and bolt to the frame. The top is 48"X28" and is made up of 2-2X6s and 2-2X8s running length ways (48"). If building it now, I would probably use something solid for the top, perhaps a solid core wood door. I have a piece of 2X8 running from the back to front and over hanging the front something like 2 to 4 inches. This is bolted through the top and into the frame using 5/16x6" lag screws (2 in the front and 2 in the back). There is a half round cutout in it to accept the press (RCBS Jr.) which is bolted to it. It does not move Setting on top of the bench is the remains of a 12" deep book shelf that goes to the ceiling.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,232 Posts
Doesn't have to be anything complicated, but it does need to be sturdy. I use an old oak library table.

The put-together workbenches that the home-improvement stores sell are an OK starting point, with two exceptions: You need a very solid top so with their kit screw on an extra layer of 3/4 inch plywood, and the second thing that you need to do is bolt it to the wall.

Actually, the Workmate benches, etc., are pretty handy too. If you have room I predict you'll still use it, leaving it set up for case trimmer, powder measure, or something.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys! Those are some great ideas. DMC - Thanks for the link to those plans, it really looks interesting. MikeG your right the workmate is a handy alternative to a bench it's just a pain to set it up each time I want to use it. CEJ..

·
Registered
342 Posts
Go to the local home center, get two cheap undercounter cabinets and a 6 foot piece of countertop someone failed to pick up. Glue and screw a 3/4 inch piece of plywood to the bottom of the countertop and attach the countertop to the cabinets. Poof, reloading bench with storage and an easy clean surface. Use all the time you saved to load some and go shooting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went to Home Depot and bought a 6 foot piece of counter top (like in your kitchen) for about $35.00. Then bought 2 birch premade cabinets that are 30" tall, one has a top drawer with a big dooron bottom the other has 4 drawers. I then bought a piece of 3/4" plywood to put under the countertop as support. Just four screws in the corners from underneath and presto! the perfect bench for like $150.00. I stained the birch a light green and the top is like a light marble. The nice part is it's easy to take apart but its very stable and the smooth top makes cleanup very easy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I SEEN THE PICTURE OF YOUR RELOADING SETUP. YOU MENTIONED THAT IT WAS IN A SMALL SHED. DOES THE SHED HAVE A CONTROLLED CLIMATE? I WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAD A PROBLEM WITH INSECTS OR CORROSION? MY BENCH IS IN A SPARE BEDROOM WHICH MY WIFE THINKS SHOULD AGAIN BE SPARE, IF YOU KNOW WHAT i MEAN.:) THANKS FOR ANY INFO

·
Registered
4 Posts
7mmaniac said:
I SEEN THE PICTURE OF YOUR RELOADING SETUP. YOU MENTIONED THAT IT WAS IN A SMALL SHED. DOES THE SHED HAVE A CONTROLLED CLIMATE? I WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAD A PROBLEM WITH INSECTS OR CORROSION? MY BENCH IS IN A SPARE BEDROOM WHICH MY WIFE THINKS SHOULD AGAIN BE SPARE, IF YOU KNOW WHAT i MEAN.:) THANKS FOR ANY INFO
My shed does not have controlled climate if you mean HVAC. I do have a heater for winter but it's just hot in the summer. It's not too bad because I live in SoCal but 90-100 is still hot for me. The winters can get in the low 40's in the morning but I'm rarely out there then. As far as insects I don't have any problems and as far as corrosion it's not much of a problem but I do keep an eye on it. My safe has a dehumidifier rod in it but as I said I keep a close watch on it. Your spare bedroom sounds like a good place to set up. Take your wife out to dinner more and buy her flowers for no reason at all, she'll forget about the "spare" bedroom.;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like someone has spent a little time with the fairer sex. :p Sounds like good advice. Although I doubt it will work. My little girl is about ready for her own room so I've been outvoted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think this would be good time to introduce that little girl of yours to the family fun of ammunition reloading.

Remember: The family that reloads together is not out somewhere getting loaded! (or something to that effect) :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Boy aren't you just full of wit!:D I read this thread to my wife and she said that my little girl can just go with you and sleep in YOUR bed every night. Wouldn't take long to get the picture... have a good day.:)

·
Banned
157 Posts
Whatever you build don't forget to get a few C-clamps. They'll be you savior if your space is limited, Make sure your work bench top has a 1" overhang all aroud then mount your tools like a case trimmer, primer seater and case beveler on a small, thin piece of wood, then you can clamp these items down to use and yet get them out of the way when desired. Bst wishes.

Cal - Montreal

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Mine is just a couple of 12' 2x6s that I cut to 48", I put 18" sides on it and three weeks ago added another shelf to the top. The lumber was about $40, stain was $5, screws and glue $5. I keep my powder and primers in a cheap metal cabinet next to the bench.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Whatever design you end up using, I would top the bench with formica. Good work surface. Also, I would build it to fit the chair your going to use for reloading. Reason I say this, is that I built a loading bench and now wish it was either a few inches higher or lower to match the chair that I have.
Good luck,
JR

1 - 19 of 19 Posts