Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently completed a newreloading bench, and what a difference it makes.  Ten years or so ago, with my first press receieved as a Christmas present, I quickly slapped together a work table out of two sheets of 3/4 plywood over a base made of 2X6.  While it has loaded a lot of rounds over the years, mostly shotgun, when I got calipers recently, I realized the flex in the top was causing serious OAL variations in my pistol cartridges (up to .010).  With a flexing top, it is very difficult to consistently set the bullets, which plays #### getting a consistent crimp.  

I made the new one's top out of a 2" thick 24" wide maple slab I recently chainsaw milled.  The base is 2" by 3" maple trestles with through mortises.  I believe I could park my truck on it!  Now the rounds are spilling off my old pacific press dead on for OAL!

A good bench only has to be built once.  

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Matt,

A great observation.   Many folks don't realize how important solid press mounting can be.   It is interesting, even with an "O"  frame press, mounting on a good solid bench is essential to precise operation.

By the way, that bench you have crafted sounds like one of those lifetime enduring type projects.   Wow, where'd you find the maple to do that job!

Time to hit the leadpots!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is where I get my wood.  I use this portable sawmill to harvest trees cut down for development or blown over... More available here than I have time to mill

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Urban Lumberjack!!! I like it!   Very resourceful sir!  

Say.... give you a pair of orange STIHL suspenders, a pair of White's Caulk boots, and an orange felt wool crusher hat and you'd look like one of us!

God BLess,

Marshall

1 - 4 of 4 Posts