Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an AR-15 and am in the market for dies. I just want some opinions on whether to by small base dies or just the regular full length dies. How many loads can I expect out of brass when sizing with small base dies as opposed to full length and is it necessary to use a small base die?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,922 Posts
You won't know till you try it. There are tolerances in dies, chambers, and even your reloading equipment so unless the manufacturer has specifically told you that you have a very tight or match chamber, odds are you won't need small base dies at all.

I would try to resize some brass that was fired in your rifle (from factory loads) with a standard die first. Let us know how it goes......

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I bought two just before the big bang, a S&W M&P15 and a Bushmaster. The M&P15 will chamber almost anything you feed it. I've never had a problem with any reloads from the standard die set. The Bushmaster happen to be one of those you read about with a tight chamber and it required a RCBS small base (SB) FL die to get reloads to chamber reliably in it. Some will say you should always us a SB die in any semi but I don't. The SB is going to shorting case life because it over works the brass. I loaded up a few hundred bullets for the Bushmaster and put it away, I don't shoot it anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts