Shooters Forum banner

341 - 360 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
Since the press seems to be a ways off, still showing May or so as a ship date, I plan to build my bench before then. Once it warms up a bit, it won't take to long to build. I found the manual for the press which lists the B5, which is what I'm supposed to get, and it has a template in the manual. I printed it and it printed to the correct size. The manual is dated November 2020 which isn't long ago. I suspect all of them use the same template. Thing is, I'd hate to build a bench and then have it not work with the press. Anyone think it isn't safe to go by the template in the manual? I can't imagine it has changed. I'd think even the B1 used the same template.

This is sort of what I want it to look like. Basically, a solid bench with some storage on the back. Based on the space available, if I put it on the narrow wall, I can go 6 feet wide. If I go to the wider wall, I can go to about 9 feet. Anyone think 6 feet isn't enough? I could make it L shaped later and span two walls, I guess.

Also, I got the trickler and brass prep tool in. I also got the flash hole tool a while back. Beam scale should be here tomorrow. The dies are cleaned and lightly coated with oil to prevent rust. Then I got in the VCI paper. I stuck the paper to the lids of the die set boxes. That way they will protect the dies when stored in the box. Supposed to last a year or two. Just for giggles, stuck them in a ammo box with desiccant packs. I also put some VCI paper in the lid of the caliper box as well. Shouldn't rust but it's just a small piece of paper.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Nice ... I can't tell in the photo but I hope the bench is fasend to the wall .. Years ago my bench looked the same way .. know it sets in the middle of the room with another bench bolted dack to back .. one side is for loading the other side is for gun care .. And I have plenty of wall space that way .. works for me ☺

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
@jimboro That's not mine, just sort of what I plan to build. I'm still trying to find out the best height for me but I've got some articles that talk about it. I'm thinking about 36" and I'm about 5' 7" when stacked high. lol I'm considering putting a couple maybe three shallow drawers underneath mine. Depends on how difficult it is. I think it will be easy if I use those roller things like is used on tool boxes. I'm thinking about 2" maybe 3" deep. Just something I can put small tools in like screwdrivers and such. I haven't settled on a 6' or longer 8' or 9' yet. I think 6' will be enough but we know how that goes. ;-)

On the back shelving tho, I plan to have a section just for dies in their boxes. I'll make other sections for ammo boxes, tools like my beam scale and other things. I have also ordered some LED strips. I plan to put them on the undersides of the shelving to light things up good. I pretty much got how the bench part is going to go, other than the height, but the back part is still in the air a bit. Some of it depends on the sizes of things.

I've done image searches for reloading benches to get ideas. I've found quite a few. I've also watched videos and observed what others are using in the background. Some have videos just about their benches, what they like and what they wish was different. Just a matter of figuring out what I need. Right now, I don't have enough stuff to figure out some things.

·
Premium Member
15,191 Posts
That loading bench MIGHT last a box of ammo but I doubt it. Look at the bending moment between the long handle and the short distance of support on the bench (maybe he's got a steel plate underneath and attached to the wall). Think of a pry bar in the same position.
I have dies 60 years old that aren't rusted, maybe you're on the wet side of Hawaii?

Reactions: jimboro

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,375 Posts
Dale, I'll draw up how I built mine if you want, very heavy duty. I'm no wood mechanic do what I made had to be easy.

RJ

·
Super Moderator
13,506 Posts
Screws and 2×4 lumber and plywood. I surface the plywood top with whiteboard so I can write on the top with dry-erase pens and also so that I can use cheap flooring plywood.

Jack is right that you want the legs to come to the front (no more lip on the benchtop than is necessary for the press to operate) so the force you put on the press handle doesn't twist the bench.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,158 Posts
Reactions: Blackhawk355

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
Mine will be thicker. I mentioned before that I plan to use 2Xs laying flat and top off with a piece of plywood, likely 3/4" thick. @unclenick has a good idea to tho. I also saw where someone used two pieces of 3/4" plywood. That's fairly thick and strong but I think 2Xs and plywood would be stronger. That would make it about 2 1/4" thick. I'm not sure about the cost difference. The whiteboard on top would add another 1/4" or so I guess. The ones I've seen are not real thick but they more for purpose not strength.

My main point with the picture was a bench with shelving on the back. It does have pretty solid legs tho. I'm not a wood elf either but I have made some things of wood before.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I reloaded for 20 years on a 100+ year old kitchen table with the press bolted to a 1x8" piece of oak that was C clamped to the table. I guess the ground hogs, coyotes and crows I shot with the 788 would have had a pretty good laugh at Dad's set up if they had seen it. That laugh would have quickly been followed by them losing some of their more valuable parts. They never laugh long. Except for crows. Some people get buck fever, I get crow fever. Hate crows!!!!!!

The press is now bolted to a Steel Case sample prep table that Dad liberated from the scrap bay at the aluminum rolling mill he worked at. I was not allowed to use it while he was still alive as he refused to drill holes in the top of such a nice table.

Heavier is better. With normal reloading you will not be using much of the presses force capability. Forming brass is about the only time I every really work a press. Sizing, priming and bullet seating only use a fraction of a presses real capability from a force standpoint. Some people load rounds with a hand press.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I saved a lot of money by building a 6x6 frame on one side of the table and a 4x4 frame on the other side. That way theres no pressure on the bench..that's a Hornady progressive under the plastic bag. I try to keep it clean
20210208_161145.jpg
20210208_161106.jpg
20210208_161024.jpg

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
@375Carp I've seen some that are light weight for sure. I think the tripod ones are neat if you have really limited space or want something portable. I want something sturdy that will last a long time and look reasonably nice as well. I plan to make it so the legs can be removed in case it needs to be taken out of the house for some reason. Basically, remove the back shelves, the top from the legs and then remove in three pieces. It'll fit through doors and down hallways better that way. I figure carriage bolts will work for that. Oh, it'll help get it in the house too.

Oh, die set hasn't moved according to the tracking. Tomorrow or maybe Wednesday.

@jimboro I'd have to use my chainsaw on that size of wood. I think my saw will cut 4Xs but anything more than that requires a wood flip. That said, you plan on rebuilding large engines on that thing? ROFL Should work fine. ;-)

I might add, I built a frame for a 55 gallon aquarium. It was made of 2X4s and I used it for a good decade or so. I still have it but the tank is empty now. If I recall correctly, that would weigh about 400 lbs. I'd be comfortable putting a large V8 engine on that thing. I wouldn't worry about it holding up at all. If I use 4X4s for the legs and quite a few 2Xs for the top, it should be plenty strong enough for reloading. If anything, it'll be a bit overdone. I'm old school on some things since I don't have a slide rule. I overdo it. Better to be to strong than not strong enough.

I got my beam scale in. It looked larger in the picture. Still, it seems to work fine. It zeroed easy enough. I tested it on the kitchen counter next to the sink. No powder to play with tho. I also got a pdf file on powders from ramshot.com. I couldn't get it to download so I emailed them and asked them to attach it. They did, I also provided them with some info on it not downloading for me. They looking into it.

·
Super Moderator
13,506 Posts
Jimboro,

The only problem I see with that bench of yours is that it appears to be blurry. Does that make the edges of the wood soft? ;)

Reactions: jimboro

·
11,375 Posts
By attaching your press to a block

You can build your bench however you like. No need to worry about the edge being too thick etc etc. You can even cantalever your press if you want.

RJ

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
@recoil junky That is a option and quite a good one at that. I think for overall strength and economy, I'm still going to use 2Xs laid flat. People make benches like that for all sorts of things. Some don't even smooth them out or anything depending on what they are doing with it. If you are rebuilding a engine, who cares if the table is flat and smooth or maybe even level. I'm just going to the next step with plywood on top to make it smooth, flat and able to be level. Plus, it looks nice too. I'm seriously thinking about the white board too. That's another good idea. It may not be if I was using it for something else but in this case, it's a nifty idea. Still, your way does provide options. Something could change that I need to go that route. I'm still trying to decide if I want the press on the left or right, or in the middle. Still sorting out some things there.

Updates on other happenings. I bought some of those plastic Zerust things. I bought the 1"X3" version to put in with the die sets. I plan to cut the tabs into 1"X1 1/2" tabs. A 1" square would be enough but the price point makes it reasonable to cut in half. I also bought the larger blocks to go in my tool box in the shed. I'll likely remove one of the drawers and stick it on the back of the tool box section. They big enough to protect all the drawers of tools that way, help the tool box itself as well.

I also ordered a case trimmer. Most of them were on backorder. I found one that had one in stock and did some quick research on it. I bought it. It isn't cheap but it seems to work pretty good. All of them had their goods and bads. What else is new. I ended up getting the Redding 2400 and some pilots. Some pilots were in stock, some wasn't. It's a start. I also ordered some Hornady lock rings. I got two 6 packs on order, backorder would be more accurate. It's enough to put on the die sets that have the other set screw type locks. I have a few Hornady sets but also have a Lyman and a RCBS. I have a Lyman on backorder. I think I need 9 but ordered 12. Extras never hurt.

I also ordered some LED strip lighting and related wiring etc. I plan to have some on the shelving on the back, the press itself most likely and some other spots that will offer up some good lighting. I also got a controller that will dim the lights as well. I ordered the 5630s since they are the brightest. I can always dim them if needed but if I order dimmer lights, 3528 for example, I can't over power them to make them brighter. I should have enough to light up the workbench, press and other things as well. I ordered 10 meters which I think is around 33 feet.

I did my Friday shots thing this morning. Went early since it isn't warming up any. So this is my go to town day. Walmart has 4 pack bottles of ISO Heet for $1.00. I bought two packs. I'm using that mixed with lanolin oil to make lubes and such. If anyone else does this, may want to see if your local Walmart has the same deal. I paid around $1.25 for one bottle before. It's like buying one getting three free. Sadly, they didn't have any Seafoam Deep Creep. I also dropped by the local gun store. Not a grain of powder in the place. No primers either.

I also pulled out all the die sets. Since it may be a good long while before the press gets here, I did my long term storage routine on them. I took them all apart, lubed them up good with Lucas CLP, let them dry a bit and then put them back in the ammo can with desiccant packs. Should keep them in good shape until the press shows up, in May or so. Maybe. Possibly. One hopes anyway. 🙏 🙏

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
The local gun store is really reasonable on prices. At least right now. If I ordered the powders I wanted from online stores and paid the hazmat fee and shipping, I wouldn't save much money if any. Their bottles of powder are only 3 maybe $4 a bottle above what I can find online. Of course, right now nobody has any so they may as well say its free. ROFL

The Redding trimmer should be here early next week. Some more LED stuff is coming in today. The LED light strip itself shows it will also be here early next week. It seems the USPS is getting back on schedule, somewhat. Most things arrive pretty close to on time. It seems to depend on where it is coming from right now.

My biggest concern, having everything I need but no powders or primers. I don't want to pay inflated prices if I can avoid it. Finding some would be nice tho.

·
11,375 Posts
@dalek2.0

I originally used the "block" idea when I had less room and only one bench but two presses as a "quick change" affair.

With all the new types of wood screws there are nowadays, the fastening possibilities are endless and the use of actual bolts to fasten presses to your bench may be a thing of the past. My contractor son Doc has turned me on to several new fastening ideas that are better and faster than bolts or lag screws.

The term "deck screw" has a whole new meaning now with the Fastenmaster spline drive "Headlok" screws. No more fuzzed up phillips head screws!

RJ

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I built this for my SIL. It is not pretty...but I set it up at his place and he uses it just fine. I couldn't tell you the dimensions...but he has never griped. I actually got some compliments on the pink lumber when I first posted it. Of course the pink is from pre-cut studs....lol
loading bench.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,191 Posts
Look at the short distance between mounting bolts and the fulcrum point at the front edge of the bench. Compare it to the distance from fulcrum to the handle grip. It's roughly 10 to 1 on a Rockchucker. Full length re-sizing some case takes a hundred pounds of 'down' on the press handle. That's a thousand pound of bend to the bench edge.
Invest in a 3/8"x4"x bench width hot rolled steel (about $30 with cutting charge) to bolt the press to. Either through the bench and the steel or just the steel hanging out. Fasten the plate to the bench and to the wall and the press doesn't need a heavy bench. If you want to make it better, put a leg to the floor or back to the wall under the press. That ties your whole house/apartment building to the reloading process, so beware projected noises.
:)

·
11,375 Posts
Not sure who your reply is aimed at jack, but I've FLR 300RUM and 45-70's with that set up and yes my benches are fastened to the wall and no it doesn't take 100 pounds of force to size either of those cartridges. If it did I'd have Popeye arms.

RJ

341 - 360 of 384 Posts