Shooters Forum banner

361 - 380 of 384 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,191 Posts
Mileage varies according to chamber size. The A-2/Rockchucker presses were designed as bullet swages. The handle force is rated at 200 lbs . After that, the handle bends. That means you could lift a ton from the top of your bench with the same leverage.
The point is, if you lay 2x4s on their sides lengthways the bench, ALL the bending force is on one board. If laid cross ways, two boards take the strain. If the bench is all tied together with one piece of STRONG material, the entire bench takes the strain. They last longer that way.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,376 Posts
Again jack, if you'd read my previous post describing how my benches are built you'd know there's more than one 2X4 on edge on the front. There are 2X4's, 2X6's and 2X12's (depending on fit and location) glued and screwed to two top layers of 3/8" CDX. All boards are screwed AND glued for strength and longevity. What you see up front doesnt show any of what's behind.

Your stories of brute force, blowing up vacums, destroying presses, paper bags of powder and lost wives, have little to do with reloading equipment, its careful selection and proper use.

Is my bench pretty? No, but it is heck for stout.

RJ

Reactions: Darkker

·
Premium Member
15,191 Posts
My comments are made to the OP who's trying to figure out how to build his loading bench. Portability means using higher strength materials to keep the weight and bulk down. Knowing how the leverage of the press tears up most (flimsy) benches allows for better designs.
Just trying to help.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
Depending on cost, I may have 2X6 or even 2X8 in places. I could put a 2X10 or 2X12 where the press will be if needed. I also plan to square off the edges and glue them together with wood glue, F26, Gorilla glue or something. That way it is like a 2" thick piece of solid wood. Then with 3/4" plywood on top, and maybe the whiteboard too, that's a pretty solid piece of wood. I'd be more concerned with breaking the handle on the press than causing damage to the workbench. I suspect with it all glued together, I could sit a complete V8 engine on the bench and it sit there for ages with no problems. I doubt any pressure I put on it will be anything close to what it can handle.

I saw in a manufacturers video that talked about the pressure made when sizing brass. The pressure isn't so much on the workbench as it is within the press itself. It's that fulcrum thing. I've seen people who have the press I'm getting say they can pull the handle with just a couple fingers. That said, I do want a decent bench.

·
11,376 Posts
Titebond's newest is about as strong a wood glue as I've ever used and is water proof when dry. I'd hafta look at he bottle to see what it's called. It's what I used on this picnic table.

RJ

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,808 Posts
You make a fine wood mechanic, RJ ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
I do want to use something that chemicals won't hurt or dissolve. After all, I'll likely clean my guns on it as well and I don't want things like gun oils or other chemicals to mess up the table. If I don't put the whiteboard on top, I'll likely seal it with polyurethane or something like that. Maybe epoxy paint if nothing else. Whatever will work and last without getting messed up.

I think the case trimmer and the rest of my LED stuff will be here tomorrow, weather permitting. Weather is making things iffy in my area. I hope I can keep my lights on. :/

·
11,376 Posts
Polyurethane is your best bet. It's self leveling, smooth as glass after it hardens and is impervious to most chemicals except battery acid.

Hope your lights stay on.

RJ

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,808 Posts
Get one of those gun-cradle thingies for holding the gun while cleaning it. That solves the problem re: solvents.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #370 (Edited)
I do have a rubber mat thing, it has the blown up view of a AR-15 on it, that is supposed to protect the table top. Honestly tho, I doubt solvents will be much of a problem but I'd like to be ready just in case. As it is, I lay a large bath towel on the foot of my bed and clean and lube away. It hasn't been a problem so far.

Checked the outage map, one house reported without power and only one customer affected. I suspect they have a driveway and have allowed a dead tree to remain and it has fell on the lines. Kerosene heater on standby just in case. I'm about 12 or 14 miles from the substation. A lot can happen in that distance. I looked up north at Fargo. It was well below zero last night. I'm sure the wind chill was even worse. Glad I'm in the southeast. It is a little warmer. Ish. 🥶🥶

If I had all the stuff, this would be a good time to make ammo. I wouldn't want to go outside right now.

Edit: I just ordered a Lyman E-Zee Case Length Gauge II. Last one in stock so should be here in a week or so. I ordered it from Midway who has been having website issues the last couple days. At one point, is was down.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Titebond's newest is about as strong a wood glue as I've ever used and is water proof when dry. I'd hafta look at he bottle to see what it's called. It's what I used on this picnic table.

RJ
What is all the wood you used? Legs look like cedar. That came out really nice.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Howdy,

As most know, there is a coming amount of extra cash, just not sure how much at this point. I'm hoping to have enough to buy a reloading setup. I researched this a LONG time ago but never got around to buying the stuff. I did decide to use a Lee Precision Classic Turret Press that has four holes for dies, that way I can use three or four hole setups or even as a single stage press. Some ammo only needs three, but others have four. It costs a bit more but it should be all I need. From what I recall, some dies will work with different brands of presses. If that is correct, is the Lee dies the best or should I use another brand that is better or lasts longer? Currently, between myself and a couple friends, I'll likely be loading in pistol: 9MM, 45 ACP and 44 magnum. While the 44 magnum is a pistol round, I actually shoot it in a rifle, deer hunting and it's a primitive weapon in my state. In rifle round, I'll need the following dies: 223/5.56MM, 308, 45-70. That may increase later but that's my starting point.

Right now, I'm not worried about powder, primers or anything. I'm just wanting to get into the press and its related accessories. Things like, dies, tools that put in the primers, powder, bullet etc. I'll get into the rest later, likely a new thread. I'll also get into scales later on too. I have one that does grains but I want to get one made just for reloading and is known to be accurate. I'm a little OCD about some things, measuring powder will likely be one of those.

What I'm looking for is a few people who do most or all of what I listed above and have learned from trial and error what to get and what is a waste of money. I don't care if some accessory is old school or something well tested but new school. I'm 53 and drive a antique car. I dread the day I have to get a new car. It works and it's paid for. Sometimes tho, new things work better, last longer, more accurate etc etc.

So far, I found a site that has some awesome deals. I can't find a site that beats this, yet anyway. If someone has a site that has better deals, please share.

Since some search sites are not gun friendly, it makes it hard to find good ones sometimes. That's just one I found while digging around for info. I'm mostly wanting to buy what works and not spend money on something that doesn't. I figure the best way to accomplish that is to see what others have figured out already. I'm disabled but don't mind spending a little extra for something that is better. After I get the press and its toys, I plan to buy primers, powders and such.

Thanks to all for any info you share.
I noticed that you will be loading both rifle a handgun ammo. At the risk of insulting your intelligence please use extra caution to never accidentally load a rifle cartridge with handgun powder. And leave load experimentation to the experts that assemble reloading manuals. Many of us know a gun handler with injuries that could easily have been prevented. Be safe!!

·
11,376 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #374
I noticed that you will be loading both rifle a handgun ammo. At the risk of insulting your intelligence please use extra caution to never accidentally load a rifle cartridge with handgun powder. And leave load experimentation to the experts that assemble reloading manuals. Many of us know a gun handler with injuries that could easily have been prevented. Be safe!!
If it isn't listed in the book or one of the websites for a powder maker, I ain't chancing it. I mentioned early on that I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel. Actually, I'm wanting to duplicate what I can buy already made, just made by me. Example. I really like the Hornady 240 grain XTP for my hunting rifle. It shoots well and makes a good size hole. If I can, I plan to buy Hornady brass, or better if one exists, would love to use the same powder or better and the Hornady XTP bullet. I'd like to make it identical or better. If I knew exactly what powder they use, I'd start with that. Thing is, that likely varies.

That said, it is good advice to double and even triple check powder regardless of what one is loading. Now if I can just get the stuff needed so I can start. This is as bad as wanting kids and having to wait 10 months for a baby to come along. That press is taking its sweet time. Powders and primers could be faster than kids. It may be next year before I can find powders. Talk about patience.

·
Registered
48 Posts

the breech lock kit comes with a auto primer while the 50th kit doesn't.

my first kit was a lyman turret. more often than not, i didn't use the 4 or 5 holes, i used one. i use the lee classic cast press. the incidentals(electronic powder measure and dispenser, auto prime...etc) will come in time.
Lee makes quality products at affordable prices. No doubt!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
I found this.

Anyone ever tried that powder? If so, thoughts?

Due to weather, a lot of stuff got stalled. I did get the case trimmer and Lyman E-Zee case length gauge. Rest of stuff is stuck somewhere. Went to local gun store in big town Friday, no powders. Went to small town today, no powders but did pick up some 5.56MM green tip ammo. About $170 for 200 rounds. Not to bad really. Only thing I don't like, different brand than I usually buy. I used to get American Eagle but this is Winchester. Should go bang tho.

·
Premium Member
15,191 Posts
The powder looks as handy as Unique.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I found this.

Anyone ever tried that powder? If so, thoughts?

Due to weather, a lot of stuff got stalled. I did get the case trimmer and Lyman E-Zee case length gauge. Rest of stuff is stuck somewhere. Went to local gun store in big town Friday, no powders. Went to small town today, no powders but did pick up some 5.56MM green tip ammo. About $170 for 200 rounds. Not to bad really. Only thing I don't like, different brand than I usually buy. I used to get American Eagle but this is Winchester. Should go bang tho.
$170.00 for 200 rounds of M855 is outrageous! I refuse to buy any ammo at today's prices. Some of us thought ahead and refuse to participate in this price gouging!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have bought a lot of powder and bullets from American Reloading and have been satisfied with everything, especially because they include haz-mat shipping in their prices.

This is a new item from them as I have mostly bought pull down powder (WC 844) and pulled bullets from them.

Been good people to deal with.

AZB

361 - 380 of 384 Posts