Shooters Forum banner
381 - 400 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 · (Edited)
$170.00 for 200 rounds of M855 is outrageous! I refuse to buy any ammo at today's prices. Some of us thought ahead and refuse to participate in this price gouging!
And if prices don't go back down, then what? I agree that it is a higher price than a year or two ago but it is unlikely they will go down anytime soon if ever.

I have bought a lot of powder and bullets from American Reloading and have been satisfied with everything, especially because they include haz-mat shipping in their prices.

This is a new item from them as I have mostly bought pull down powder (WC 844) and pulled bullets from them.

Been good people to deal with.

AZB
According to what is listed on the page, it works in 9mm and 45 ACP. Do you think they have load data for other calibers as well? I'm thinking the 6lb container will load a lot of pistol rounds. Shame they don't have primers tho.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a five pound jug listed as "Pistol powder" similar to Alliant "Bullseye"
This powder was obtained from disassembled Federal 45 ACP.
Work with loads from published data, starting with lowest loads and work up.

The last bottle I had said "between Bullseye and Herco." With those I normally used 5 grains. With this pulled powder I ended up with a 5.5 grain load to get
the same chronograph speeds.

AZB

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
I was hoping someone would say they had used the powder and it was good stuff. I just checked and it is sold out. If someone has used it or knows someone who has and is happy with it, please post. I'll keep a eye out for them to have some more. I know people like Hodgdon, Winchester, IMR and such but I know nothing about that powder. It's not listed in any book I've seen either.

I also emailed them about info on the powder. No response yet.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,160 Posts
And if prices don't go back down, then what? I agree that it is a higher price than a year or two ago but it is unlikely they will go down anytime soon if ever.
This isn't a "new" event, it's called a cycle for a reason. 😉

I know people like Hodgdon, Winchester, IMR and such but I know nothing about that powder. It's not listed in any book I've seen
Hodgdon, Winchester, IMR don't build powder in the sense that you mean. They are simply brand names sold by Hodgdon.

You should avoid any non-mainstream brand named powder, until you have some actual experience under your belt. Stick with the mainstream until you begin to get an understanding of how the world works, so to speak; then branch out as you desire.

Cheers

Reactions: WinMike

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
I started to post the other day but nothing has changed. Press and such still on backorder. No powders, stopped looking for the moment. Was thinking about making the bench for the press until I saw lumber prices a month or so ago. It's even worse now. Seems sawmills are making good money. I've read that land owners, loggers and even the retail outlets aren't making any more so must be the sawmills. Add to that all the homes being built, well, prices go up. Sort of like ammo in a way.

Right now, at a stand still until things start moving in the right direction. Can't do much without a press anyway. Press still shows end of July. It hasn't changed in a good long while now.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Back in the 50s I had a job that required me to always be traveling. I lived in various towns for a few months and then moved to another place. I built a reloading table that I could move in and out of a closet. The table had a 2 1/2" heavy channel iron perimeter. I used 2" thick wall pipe for the legs that were removeable. The Table was 22" x 36". There was a 1/4" plate on the top to mount my A2 press. The plate had channel iron around the perimeter of the plate. I could swage or resize any case and not pick up the back of the table. The table was not fasten to the floor or the wall. Just a free standing table. The secret to the designed was the edge of the table where the press was installed was set back so the front of the press was behind two legs. One leg on each side of the press. So all of the down thrust was adsorbed by the legs. I carried that table for several years.

I set it in a closet and set in the open doorway to reload. The top was 1/2" plywood except where the steel plate was installed.

Frank

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
I plan to have the front legs as far to the front as I can. I found a template for the press base. I'll use it as a guide. It is good to position it as far forward as one can. It does help prevent it from tipping when using the press. From what I've read and seen in videos tho, there's little pressure needed for the press I'm getting. I've seen it mounted on nothing but a piece of 1/2" thick plywood and it worked just fine. Still, I plan to beef mine up a bit just in case I find the need for a 2nd press, or even some other tool.

I'm just hoping things will get back to normal soon. Given the climate tho, not sure when that will be.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
I figure things will get back to normal at some point. While I'm doing my Friday run, I may go by the local gun store and see if they have anything. I'm not going to hold my breath tho.

·
Registered
297 Posts
When we moved to a smaller house I dicovered a portable reloading stand similar to the Lee stand here: Lee Reloading Stand

No, it's not as satisfactory as a larger purpose-made bench, but it's very useful and I've loaded lots of ammo on mine. And it tucks away into a slot in the garage when I'm done.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I have not verified as one of my local sources has some powders trickling in, but as of yesterday Powder Valley is supposed to have some powders in stock.

Just a heads up.

Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #393 ·
I got a pilot for my Redding 2400 case trimmer. I been doing things to prevent rust when I put tools in the closet shelf. I use Zrust plastabs etc. Anyway, I was wanting to put all the pilots in one bag. I looked at a couple of them and noticed that none of them are marked as to what caliber they go with. For example, I just got the pilot for a 45 cal cartridge. It isn't marked so I may need to bag them separately and mark them, to be sure I don't mix them up. Even the ones that came with the trimmer are not marked.

Is there some way I'm not seeing to tell them apart? Anyone else have a way to know which is which?

I went to town this morning and forgot again to go by the local gun store to check on powders. Bummer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I was wanting to put all the pilots in one bag. I looked at a couple of them and noticed that none of them are marked as to what caliber they go with. For example, I just got the pilot for a 45 cal cartridge. It isn't marked so I may need to bag them separately and mark them
I've found that small fishing tackle boxes work well for things like this. You can mark each compartment separately, and I have put a small square of rust proofing paper in the bottom of each section

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
I have some of those but that's a lot of box for such tiny pieces. Even the 45 cal pilot is pretty little. It's doable but I wish they were marked somehow. Given how small they are tho, it would be some tiny markings and likely hard to see.

May have to go the tackle box way. Just wish I could put them in the same ammo box as the trimmer in a bag. Me thinks about it. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
My advice is: don't scrimp on the press. You will mess with lots of other tools and gadgets over the years, but if you get the right press, you never have to change it.
My main press is an RCBS Rock Chucker I got in 1964. Can't tell you how many bazillion rounds it's loaded.
I suppose if I had to replace it, I'd look at a Forster CoAx, but it'd be tough to get me away from a Rockchucker.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
My advice is: don't scrimp on the press. You will mess with lots of other tools and gadgets over the years, but if you get the right press, you never have to change it.
My main press is an RCBS Rock Chucker I got in 1964. Can't tell you how many bazillion rounds it's loaded.
I suppose if I had to replace it, I'd look at a Forster CoAx, but it'd be tough to get me away from a Rockchucker.

I ordered the press months ago. It's on backorder tho. It is the Forster CoAx press tho. When will it get here, who knows. Eventually.

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
Industry people are suggesting the start of a return to normal may come in the fall. A big piece of the problem has been getting shipping back to pre-COVID capacity, especially overseas shipping so both the expensive and inexpensive foreign ammo and components begin to flow again. My wife has had an eye on a cruise vacation and is watching all these YouTube travel bloggers discussing which ports and shipping are planning to get back to normal and when and how fast the dock and ship crews are getting vaccinated and so on. Sanctions on Russia and China both affect ammo availability, too. I don't think we get a lot by way of ammo, specifically, from China, but China shipping goods to Europe is part of the available container cycle, so even their non-shooting-sports exports and the tariffs on them affect what is available to and from other parts of the world. Shipping seems to be a giant mechanical model of an ecosystem.

I continue to buy (when prices are good) to keep supplies an average of about ten years ahead, drawing them down during these cyclical shortages, then catching them back up when prices are good and sales come back. Very occasionally I have an old container of powder go bad (had two over the last fifteen years) but mostly this strategy works to survive the shortages. Overall, even with the loss of the odd pound of powder, it is far less expensive than having to buy during a shortage.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I ordered the press months ago. It's on backorder tho. It is the Forster CoAx press tho. When will it get here, who knows. Eventually.
Dale...I got an email from Brownell's saying they have a number of powders back in stock. I did a little browsing on their site and saw that they had the press you ordered in stock. Did you ever get yours?

Good luck and all the best.

381 - 400 of 426 Posts