Shooters Forum banner
421 - 426 of 426 Posts

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,160 Posts
I would respectfully disagree, simply for the sake of learning powders and how different lots can be. Without having a reasonable way to know where you lie in terms of pressure, it becomes the old chestnut of "Faith" and nonsense. That is a rabbit hole that has swallowed far too many people and adds confusion.
$0.02

Cheers

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #423 ·
I would respectfully disagree, simply for the sake of learning powders and how different lots can be. Without having a reasonable way to know where you lie in terms of pressure, it becomes the old chestnut of "Faith" and nonsense. That is a rabbit hole that has swallowed far too many people and adds confusion.
$0.02

Cheers
Given that almost none of us can afford the equipment the powder and gun makers use, I agree that a chronograph is the next best thing. If the chronograph didn't exist, we would be shooting ammo that we can at least be reasonable certain is safe. If for example a bullet should measure 2,500 ft/sec but the chronograph shows 3,300 ft/sec, that means something somewhere is not right. A person shouldn't shoot any more of those until they can figure out why the large difference from what is expected. Same could be said if a bullet is much slower than expected too. It isn't as accurate as what some of the makers use but it does give good clues.

I ended up getting a chrono in the middle of what was suggested and what I was originally looking at. I ordered the CE Prochrono DLX. The one I was looking at had some good reviews but it didn't seem to work well with a external device, cell phone for example. The DLX had good reviews that use the same type of cell phone as I do. I don't know if I will use the cell phone with it or not but it is a option. I might add, this was the highest rated on Amazon, even tho I ordered it from Midway USA. The chrono is supposed to be here this afternoon. As long as the ft/sec is accurate, I'm good with it.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,160 Posts
A Pressure Trace II system isn't wildly expensive, even after the recent price increase. Used to be cheaper than a "package" gun from the box stores, now is the price of a regular quality rifle.

Most folks don't have the interest level in learning that much about pressures and burning curves, but to be able to learn them doesn't require a second mortgage.

Cheers

Reactions: dalek2.0

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #425 · (Edited)
From my understanding they were really expensive to get and required some expertise to use. When I last saw anything tho, it was a long time ago. I did read a while back where a company was trying to make cheaper models but the accuracy was a bit of a problem. I don't know how much of a problem the accuracy was or if they have since corrected the problem. I also read that the sensors have to be replaced and are not to cheap. Again, been a long time.

Maybe one of these days the price will come down enough to compete with chronographs. Then we really know what is going on in there which can be very interesting.

By the way, it came in. After turning bluetooth on, it connected right away to my cell phone which was my hope, even if I don't use it much or at all. No shooting yet tho. Windy and a bit chilly.

Edit: This is the calibers I can load first. If primers and powders are available. 5.56MM AR type, .44 Magnum in rifle and 45ACP. pistol I'm thinking the .44 rifle would be the best one to play with first. The barrel is likely really strong since it is a magnum. The 45ACP is a pistol and the 5.56MM is nothing special either. I'm thinking the .44 rifle would be the best one to handle any slight mistakes. Of them all, it would likely be the cheapest to replace as well. Thoughts?

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,160 Posts
From my understanding they were really expensive to get and required some expertise to use.

Edit: This is the calibers I can load first. If primers and powders are available. 5.56MM AR type, .44 Magnum in rifle and 45ACP. pistol I'm thinking the .44 rifle would be the best one to play with first. The barrel is likely really strong since it is a magnum. The 45ACP is a pistol and the 5.56MM is nothing special either. I'm thinking the .44 rifle would be the best one to handle any slight mistakes. Of them all, it would likely be the cheapest to replace as well. Thoughts?

No, As said they used to be about $300. A few months ago, they had gone up to the $5-600 range, or about the price of a quality rifle. If precise measurement is daunting, or purchasing a few reference rounds makes ones head spin; then I suppose that they require expertise to operate.;)

The 44 barrel isn't "stronger" because it's a magnum. I personally think that any pistol round is more affected by reloader errors. But to each his own. My only complaint about the 223 is the small diameter. If you are ham-handed, or have eyesight issues, then it can be a bit tedious.

Cheers

Reactions: dalek2.0
421 - 426 of 426 Posts