Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning users. I am writing this thread today because I am new to reloading 45 ACP and so far I have hit a bit of a speed bump. I am reloading for a carbine, specifically a Kriss Vector. This particular rifle is amazing and takes 45 ACP handgun rounds, but the problem is it doesn't like the ammo I recently acquired through it so I decided to make rounds for it. My first eleven rounds fired perfectly but my twelfth just poped. The striker fired, the powder burned, but the bullet only went a couple inches into the barrel. I spent the next couple hours very frustrated and plopped the bullet out using a wooden dowel. I don't want to stop reloading for this rifle but I do want to be cautious before I continue. Any suggestions as to why this could of happened... I have successfully loaded and fired over 500 rounds 9mm for my Beretta cx4 without failure, just wondering what could be the difference in this case.

Hornady LNL AP
Berrys 230 gr fmj
RWS Once fired brass
Federal Large pistol primers
5 gr alliant bullseye

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
FC
I'd bet that your cartridge that went pop had no powder or a very low charge.
Are you using a progressive to load with?

Jim

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,124 Posts
A pretty good guess, I'll second that.

Don't ever use a wooden dowel to drive a bullet out, FYI. You were lucky it didn't split and wedge itself in there permanently. Brass or mild steel works fine (yes, steel, barrels are heat treated and very hard).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'll third jims guess. That has only happened to me twice both times with small charges of bullseye. Somebody on the forum called it "flammable dirt" I thought it fit. Maybe rocky rabb but I can't remember

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,124 Posts
It does burn a little dirty, but it lights up pretty easy. Not a powder that you're likely to get squibs with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your responses!! I am using a progressive press, and my initial theory was that the primer didn't seat properly because it was stickin out a bit when I removed the casing from the barrel, but I will double check all my rounds to ensure that they do have powder in them.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Cat

The primer sticking out is the dead give away.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts