Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls, new to group and thanks for adding me in.
I have a pound of VihtaVuori N-105. What type of ammo is N-105 best used for?
I reload mostly 9mm, 380 auto and 223.
Any advise would help.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,660 Posts
Here ya go -

Search engines know everything ;)

Welcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here ya go -

Search engines know everything ;)

Welcome.
Thanks Mike. Looks like it's a slow burning gunpowder for small handguns, 380 cal and 9mm.

·
Super Moderator
13,430 Posts
No, it's a slow-burning powder for 357 Magnum and 357 Maximum, 44 Magnum, 454 Casull Magnum, and so on. The long-case magnums. The 380 and 9 mm cases have powder space that is too short for it. Part of what determines whether a powder is at an appropriate burn rate is how far the bullet has to move forward to double the volume the powder is burning in. That increase in combustion space volume is called expansion. With 380 and 9mm they only have to move forward half as far as the long cases do to double volume. That means the powder has to burn fast enough to double the volume of gas as fast or faster than the bullet is growing the volume, at least until the peak pressure is reached. N105 in a 380 will see the volume grow faster than it makes gas, so the volume growth will get ahead of the powder's gas generating speed and it will never reach a high enough high pressure.

The danger in running a too-slow powder is that if volume growth is fast enough, the powder can actually extinguish and leave a bullet stuck in the barrel. If that happens and you don't notice, then the next bullet can hit the first one before the powder extinguishes and then blow the case open or bend or burst the gun barrel.

Reactions: shooter444

·
Registered
6 Posts
VV N105 sings .40 S&W turns that rivals 10MM's renditions.

If I were to start hand loading over, I'd almost assuredly use VV powders exclusively.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts