Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was starting to get into bullet casting and wanted to load some sabots and foster slugs. Lyman reloading book says that you should not use a roll crimp for the sabots. I would rather use roll crimps for both slugs so I was hoping someone could explain to me the reason for lyman to say this and if its ok to use a roll crimp instead of a fold crimp for the sabots. I like that I could see the slug on the shell and I dont want to get them mixed up with my buckshot when I start reloading that aswell. thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I've never loaded these. I note their ad simply says you don't have to have a special roll crimper for them, but if the instructions say you must not use one, I suspect the reason lies in the fact the Lyman sabot slug design, the ones shaped like giant air gun pellets, don't use proper sabot's. Instead, they are designed to use a standard plastic wad in place of a sabot. These wads have much thinner sides than a real sabot, so their leading edges would not be reliably able to push a roll crimp open. Instead they could accordion and bunch up in front of the sabot, and that may lead to them wedging between the slug and the bore? That could raise pressure dangerously. A standard star crimp would allow the nose of the slug to force the crimp to start opening. That may be why these slugs are as long as they are in either 12 or 20 gauge?

If my speculation on the problems are correct, I expect you don't want to use longer wads or shells with the Lyman slugs than they are designed for. The wad could have under-wads, I suppose, for use in longer shells, but that seem like a lot of bother.

·
Registered
4 Posts
twpbaseball10, unclenicks's answer seems to make a lot of sense. I have loaded and shot about 250 lyman slugs over the past 2 years. the wad is much weaker than a typical sabot.
as for wanting someone to explain, look at the lyman book, call lyman and ask for one of the guys that wrote about slug loading. i have called 2 x's and both times were an education. I forget who I talked with but he was patient, explained in detail and helped with several problems.
as for not confusing buck shot with slugs-you can get clear Fiochi hulls from BPI, or use the good old magic marker. good luck

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
roll

Here's a picture of roll crimped hulls with both the Lyman slug and the Lee slug. The wad used is BPIs Brush wad. There are no petals on that wad and the roll opens without a problem. The Lyman shoots better out of my old Savage O/U.
Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts