Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting into reloading (have been, for too long as a matter of fact), and I was wondering what types of books all of you folks would suggest? I know the basics about it, but let's pretend I have no more knowledge than a very healthy amount of time spent at the range.

I'd like to learn about different brands and types of presses, what a die does, what a slower burning powder is used for, and what a faster burning powder is used for. The difference in a large primer and a small one. Why I might want to weigh my brass...absolutely everything.

So, what books (or even videos?) would you reccomend?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,095 Posts
I'd start out with the ABC's of Reloading. I loaned out my 3rd edition, no idea where it is. There have been several more since then.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. Most recommend Lymans.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,914 Posts
Any of the above are good reads, especially the Lyman 49th edition if you want to check various loadings, also.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
All of the above…

Go to scribd and down load Phil Sharps Complete Guide to Handloading for the complete view of handloading. This book also has a very good outline of powder history, manufacture and general characteristics.

Go to your library and ask for an interlibrary loan of Townsend Whelen’s Why Not Load Your Own? For a very good basic description of how to set up dies and how they work.

Then ask your library for a loan on J.R. Mattern’s Handloading Ammunition.

These will get you started and the modern books will bring you up to speed on where we are at today.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

I got to take a peak at the Modern Reloading book today. Man, I'd have to say...this looks like it may be THE book for a beginning reloader today...especially if they're using Lee equipment.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
It is a good plce to start. I admire Richard Lee and his book is as much a history of modern reloading from his perspective as anything else. I use it and the Load Books for specific calibers but the information for the Load Books is avalable online or elsewhere for free.

·
Beartooth Regular
593 Posts
If you are more of a visual person you might want to google the Varmint Hunters Association and see if they are still offering their two videos on reloading. After you have read instructions sometimes it helps to see someone actually doing it.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Welcome to the Forum
Another good word for Phil Sharpe's book.
Just keep in mind that the recommended loads are with powder lots far removed from the powder that you wlll probably have access to.
Frank

·
Banned
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha...an awful lot of good reading here, guys...I started receving some of these books (and many others) about a week ago. I shouldn't have. I haven't been to bed before 3:00 A.M. since!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Welcome to the Forum
Another good word for Phil Sharpe's book.
Just keep in mind that the recommended loads are with powder lots far removed from the powder that you wlll probably have access to.
Frank
Phil Sharpe covers all facets of reloading in his book. All of the so called experts in reloading have this book on their book shelf. And they use it!!

One other reference is Principles and Practice of Loading Ammunition by Earl Naramore, he takes it up where Phil Sharpe leaves off. More of a reference text, but better than some of the offerings put out today.

·
Banned
505 Posts
I'd start out with the ABC's of Reloading. I loaned out my 3rd edition, no idea where it is. There have been several more since then.
great book and easy read too!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts