Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get in to reloading in the near future. A scale is important to the reloader. Does Harbor Freight carry a digital scale that measure in grains?

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Glad to see you here. Not sure what products are available at Harbor Freight. My recommendation would be to get one or more reloading manuals from Lyman, Hornady, Sierra or Speer. I have found excellent used reloading equipment in the gun shops that I visit. All the best...
Gil

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
I used a digital for a while but went back to my old balance. I don't load hundreds of rounds, 50 at most at one time and find the balance is quicker once I have an idea how full the scoop needs to be. As Gil says , better to visit a gun shop and see what is on offer there, made for the job.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Hornady makes a little digi-scale. I can;t remember the model# but it'll cost about $30 or a little more. It'll probably be the same as a Frankford Aresenal or pretty much anythng you'll find at Harbor Freight.

The problem with these lower-end digital scales is that they'll drift off of "zero" quite often, so I don;t find them trustworthy. However! - I do use that little Hornady as a quick view of what my measure is dropping. The mechanical scale is the one I depend on, so as each pan is filled, I'll just give it a quick check on the Hornady and then go back to the beam scale about every fifth or sixth pan, or anytime I feel distrustful of the digital.

Reactions: Sus Scrofa

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
As should be of course, I'm looking for a constant as near accurate measure each time. I have quite a good quality digital (Salter Brecknell)but found it did float about a bit., so went back to an old CH balance I have had for 30 or more years and it still gives me accurate loads if I do my bit with the trickler.

·
Banned
746 Posts
How much reloading do you plan on doing? Rifle? Pistol? Shooting for accuracy?

I use lyman gen6 digital scale powder dispenser combo.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Be aware that slight air currents such as your breath will move a digital scale readout. If you did that to a beam scale, you would see movement of the beam. Plus one vote here for a beam scale, or at least have one to check your digital against.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've been using the same RCBS 5-0-5 scale for nearly 35 years. I use check weights each session to confirm the scale's accuracy.

After all this time, the scale is still spot on accurate. I would recommend this scale.

Bayou

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've been using the same RCBS 5-0-5 scale for nearly 35 years. I use check weights each session to confirm the scale's accuracy.

After all this time, the scale is still spot on accurate. I would recommend this scale.

Bayou52

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
I got tired of waiting for the pan to stop swinging, and for the beam to stop oscillating. I went to the RCBS Rangemaster 750 maybe five years ago, and have never looked back...

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have a Lyman 500 beam and then got a hornady electric and happy with it.It drops what ever you want .Just cal it before you start and do not move it in any way also.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Another vote for a balance beam scale for weighing powder charges. The digital scales are handy for weighing brass and bullets but they are prone to drift for a variety of reasons. Gravity is a constant.
The slightest change in the air movement can change readings on a digital scale. I use them at work for small plastic parts.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Powder weighing

I have the lee beam scale, 2 years. Its OK but also wanted a digital scale. I bought a My Weigh (GemPro 250 Precision) from Amazon $155.00, a little pricy but is so accurate and consistent. It can actually 1 grain of Varget extruded powder. I use lee powder measure and then use the My weigh for the last few grains to get exact weight. I just like powder measuring accurate. As far as I am concerned it is worth the investment. myweigh.com.
Dave

·
Banned
4,920 Posts
It can actually [weigh] 1 grain of Varget extruded powder.
1.0 grains is its total accuracy? That's pretty crude. The Lee weighs to 0.05 grains. My RCBS weighs to 0.10 grains. Unless you made a mistake in what you wrote, you need a finer-measuring scale...

EDIT: Looked at the myweigh scale; copy says it will weigh to one-tenth of a gram. There are 15.43 grains per gram, so the myweigh will only measure down to 1.5 grains. To me, that's unacceptable...

Reactions: StretchNM
1 - 20 of 26 Posts