Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
I've been reloading for some 36 years now and am about to get my first 10 ga (SP10)and am looking forward to reloading for it. I plan to use it for Goose (steel) and probably Turkey (lead or ?). I have used the MEC 600 jr for years as well as the 8567 and 9000g, I see they have a 600 jr for the 10 ga as well as the Steelmaster, I'm wondering if the 600 jr will do all I need for the 10ga? I plan to load BBB and T steel and think I read somewhere with the bigger shot to weigh and charge individually versus using the charge bar for shot? I would guess for Turkey as I usually use #5's I could use the charge bar? I plan to get the Ballistic products 10 ga manual, I'm sure that will have some good loads to try, but any good tips or ideas will be welcome.
Regards,
Trapper

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have had several presses, and have found the best solution for me was to measure the shot and powder outside the press. With any single stage press, you have to take the shell out to move stations anyway. I have always used a shot measuring cup for any large shot because the charge bar will fight with the pellets, and the universal charge bar is no exception. You can make one easy enough out of a fired Winchester AA case or similar, or the Lee powder measure cup set will usually work well (you may need 2 scoops). Be advised that you will probably need a different cup for every different size and material if you are serious, which I was. I also used a powder measure to make sure I was dead on the money, all the time.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I weigh the shot and powder outside of the press when loading 10 ga. Load a lot of large shot, T, and they are easy to count. I think the number is 67 for the load I use. I block off an old primer tray to the correct # of holes. It is easy to see the right count.

Don

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
We hit upon the idea of using a skinny piece of aluminum angle with one end blocked in the trough, and a sliding C-clamp. Just weigh the first load and then lay it along the trough of the angle. Set the clamp for that length of shot and repeat your string of pellets by sifting it a handfull at a time over a shoebox or other long and skinny box to catch the overage. Easier to get the count, but not as easy to pour out of as a primer tray.

·
Registered
483 Posts
hey , i hope you enjoy your 10 ga as much as i do mine (h&r) , they really dont kick like people think i mean lots of people shot sbe2's and dont complain . ive been wanting to make me a custom load myself of 5 .490 roundballs they weigh about 183 grains apeice . turns out to be a 2 1/4 load or just under about 30 grains give or take . i bought me a briley spectrum choke to in light mod so i cnat shoot flight control wads incase i try blsack clouds

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.