Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Prochrono chronograph for Christmas and didn't know what I was missing. During load development the more data you have the better.

Using Remington brass, WSR Primers, 22.2 grains of H-322 powder, and Speer 52 gr BTHP Match bullets I achieved a recipe that hits consistant 1" groups with my Savage 840, which I feel is great for this rifle.

After initial testing of 5 shot groups using different charges, I loaded 10 more with this combination and achieved the same results. Average velocity from this is 3070 (on par with reload manual) and knowing this I can calculate the PBR easily using Point Blank.

I found it interesting how increasing charge increments slowly (in this case .4) showed a quick velocity climb to near 3000 then slower climbs in velocity .3 and .7 away from max, then a larger spike at book max. No visible signs to case or primer that I was near max, but the chrono showed the largest extreme spread with book max charge leading me to believe pressure is doing wierd things and to stay lower.

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE CHARGES I HAVE LISTED. ALWAYS FOLLOW DATA FROM TRUSTED RELOADING MANUALS. THIS IS FOR MY RIFLE ONLY AND WILL NOT BE THE SAME IN YOURS.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
19.8 - 2698

20.2 - 2748

20.6 - 2776

21 - 2892

21.4 - 3004

21.8 - 3042

22.2 - 3070

22.5 - 3138

Average velocities per charge weight 5 shots each.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Are you pulling our leg?? :)

You're using using 22.2 gr of 322 powder to load a .222 cartridge? I think your keyboard has a stuck key! ;)

In all seriousness, you found the point of diminishing returns right about where it can be expected; toward the top of the load chart. I've seen the same paradigm in the vast majority of bottle-necked cartridges that I've created loads for, so you've done everything right. Besides, what could be more poetic, or simple to remember, than using 22.2 grains of powder in a triple deuce?! Heck, when you get old n' senile and can't remember the name of that lady who keeps insisting she's your wife, you'll still know what to load in your .222. :D

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I got a Prochrono chronograph for Christmas and didn't know what I was missing. During load development the more data you have the better.

Using Remington brass, WSR Primers, 22.2 grains of H-322 powder, and Speer 52 gr BTHP Match bullets I achieved a recipe that hits consistant 1" groups with my Savage 840, which I feel is great for this rifle.

After initial testing of 5 shot groups using different charges, I loaded 10 more with this combination and achieved the same results. Average velocity from this is 3070 (on par with reload manual) and knowing this I can calculate the PBR easily using Point Blank.

I found it interesting how increasing charge increments slowly (in this case .4) showed a quick velocity climb to near 3000 then slower climbs in velocity .3 and .7 away from max, then a larger spike at book max. No visible signs to case or primer that I was near max, but the chrono showed the largest extreme spread with book max charge leading me to believe pressure is doing wierd things and to stay lower.

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE CHARGES I HAVE LISTED. ALWAYS FOLLOW DATA FROM TRUSTED RELOADING MANUALS. THIS IS FOR MY RIFLE ONLY AND WILL NOT BE THE SAME IN YOURS.
EWestbrook, I always used IMR-4198 in my .222 Rem. Rifles (19.0 grains with a 50 grainer bullet.) This seemed to give me the best load with consistent velocity & accuracy. I used both Remington & Winchester brass with SR Magnum Primers or Remington's 7 1/2 Primers.:)

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
H322 is perhaps THE classic benchrest powder for the Deuce, with 4198 very close behind. Neither is ever a mistake. Today, you could create grins with Benchmark, A-2015, RL-10X or Ramshot X-Terminator, also.

You learned the chronograph lesson right out of the gate, EW. Bravo.

Hey Broom, you want synchricity? In my Savage bolt gun, I use 30 to 31 grains of IMR3031 behind a Hornady #3031 bullet for my .30-30!

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
H322 is perhaps THE classic benchrest powder for the Deuce, with 4198 very close behind. Neither is ever a mistake. Today, you could create grins with Benchmark, A-2015, RL-10X or Ramshot X-Terminator, also.

You learned the chronograph lesson right out of the gate, EW. Bravo.

Hey Broom, you want synchricity? In my Savage bolt gun, I use 30 to 31 grains of IMR3031 behind a Hornady #3031 bullet for my .30-30!
I like that! Now, if you contrived a way to shoot .311 bullets and called it a 30/31...you'd be onto something. It probably wouldn't be all that good, but it would be something. :)

Just don't get old and forget your wife's name or Davers will cast aspersions on ya. ;)

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I wouldn't take offense; I've been buried in aspersions more than once. They wash off, except for the smell! (My wife, however, would not take kindly to having her name forgotten.)

He did put in a "winkie", Davers.

Note to the confused: this refers to a post subsequently deleted. You are not crazy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
have you tried seating the projectiles down in the case.--i know every one will say you should seat them out but when i 1st brought my m55 tikka years ago,i reloaded many combos and got around 1"-1.25",with sharp velocity rises near max using benchmark 1. i looked at the factory round which seated thier bullets very deep.-i copied this and instantly,groups halved in size.i currently use ar2219(h-322) as it was developed by ADI,for the 223.i shoot a 55gr remington plhp on top of 22.5 grs of 2219 for 3055 fps average punching groups of .400"-575",in my m55 tikka. start 1.5 grs under and work up to your best load. it shoots spot on in every gun i have loaded for. as they say,-every gun is a law unto itself. good shooting.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
broom_jm I didn't even NOTICE that was the charge and cartridge name! Just didn't catch it, but it is very neat! What do you perfer in the .222? It sure is a dream to hand load. Next, I have to replace the scope that is on it. I'm really not sure who made it, but it has an R in middle of some crosshairs on the side. No name, and not good eye relief or picture, but it has worked so far. It is variable power up to 12x.

Rocky Raab I don't know how I have been reloading without one. Now, I must chrono my other rifles and see just where the velocity is compared to what I "think".

gunho1954 I have yet to play with seating depth. I indeed still have a bit to play with as it's not to max magazine length yet, but I would rather have a load that fits and feeds great.

Thanks so much for all the input. You guys are indeed the best and have made me feel welcome!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
EWestbrook, I always used IMR-4198 in my .222 Rem. Rifles (19.0 grains with a 50 grainer bullet.) This seemed to give me the best load with consistent velocity & accuracy. I used both Remington & Winchester brass with SR Magnum Primers or Remington's 7 1/2 Primers.:)
I have some Hornady 50 grain soft points that I'm going to try. If the H-322 doesn't work I'll give it a whirl. I like the Rem 7 1/2 primers as well but have been unable to get them lately but the WSR seem to work fine.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
EW,

I'm going to defer to Rocky's experience with the .222, as he's forgotten more about reloading than I am likely to ever know! The closest I have personally loaded is the old 225 Winchester and I used H380 in that case, as it is a good bit larger.

With the results you posted, and the comment that you haven't played with seating depth yet, I don't know that I would look to a different bullet or powder, just yet. 1" groups are nothing to sneeze at and you may find you can shrink those a bit by seating the bullet a little further out, or a little shorter. As Gunho said, it can be the perfect way to fine tune groups, when you're already getting MOA accuracy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I like gunho54's idea of experimenting with deeper bullet seating to calm that spike after you've already plateaued the velocity. Propellant density could be an issue here that has resulted in a teense of turbulence in the burn.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
EW,

I forgot to mention, though you probably already know this, that if your round is already shooting MOA, use the chronograph to get a picture of your velocity spread. If it's a very low range, ~20fps or less, then you're definitely where you want to be and seating depth may trim the groups down to the point you won't even consider changing anything! :)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Just to make things a bit more complicated. . .
The 222 Rem is a classic cartridge, and a great one. At one time, it was the cartridge that dominated benchrest shooting, and the Triple Deuce still holds some records.
Among the benchrest crowd, the 222 was renowned for mild recoil, accuracy, etc- and something else. The 222 was also renowned for making teeny tiny groups, and at the same time exhibiting large extreme spreads in velocity- sometimes near 100 fps, or more.
In general, I do believe that watching your extreme spread in MV can tell you a good load, often- but the 222 may be an exception.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The highest extreme spread for 5 shot groups was 42 with a standard deviation of 15. It shoots fine group wise and was actually better than expected.

The scope must be a cheapie Redfield? I can't seem to get good eye relief with it. Move just a fraction of an inch and you can't see thru it. Have a Simmons ATEC on my .223 that works just great. Might improve groups a bit with new scope?!

·
Registered
59 Posts
reloading 222

i know vel isnt up there but my 788 will consistantly put 3 rnd into a nickle if i do my part with 22.5 grns 3031 and 50grn v-max this is a factory rifle only thing done to it i sanded out bbl channel then sealed wood

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As long as that kind of accuracy happens who cares if velocity isn't up there? Sounds like you have a great shooter. I surely enjoy the .222 over my .223 for some strange reason.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts